• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

AC/DC "Luci" Premium Edition

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Looks great! I wonder if they changed the PF art as well??

1471938_10152049462504244_171612381_n.jpg

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
Stern Pinball Releases AC/DC “Luci” Premium Game

World’s Leading Maker of Arcade Quality Pinball Games Adds New Luci Edition to the AC/DC Pinball Lineup

MELROSE PARK, IL – DECEMBER 3, 2013 – Stern Pinball, Inc., the world’s leading maker of real pinball games and the American Amusement Machine Association (“AAMA”) Manufacturer of the Year, today announced the availability of the AC/DC Luci Premium pinball machine. Based on Steve Ritchie’s hit design, the latest addition to the AC/DC pinball lineup features an entirely new original artwork package that captures the titillating rock and roll spirit of AC/DC and AC/DC pinball.

Players will rock with Luci to twelve classic AC/DC hits including “Back in Black,” “Highway to Hell” and “You Shook Me All Night Long.” Other exciting game features include a lower playfield, ball-shooting cannon, drop targets, a mechanized Hell’s Bell and animations of the band. This decidedly edgy tribute to one of rock and roll’s most memorable bands pushes the visual and auditory limits with its style, sound and infectious riffs. Simply put: Luci rocks!

The AC/DC Luci Premium game continues both the Stern Pinball and the Stern family tradition of producing quality pinball machines for young and old. Stern Pinball traces its lineage to Philadelphia in the 1930s when Sam Stern entered the business of operating pinball games. Sam subsequently became part owner and President of Williams Manufacturing, a pioneer of the pinball industry, and passed his lifelong enthusiasm for the game and the business of pinball to his son, Gary, who founded Stern Pinball. Today pinball remains one of the world’s favorite pastimes.

AC/DC, more than three decades into a career that shows no signs of slowing, like electricity itself, provides the world with an essential source of power and energy. Since forming in 1973, AC/DC's high voltage rock 'n' roll has flowed into the world via consistently sold-out concert tours and global sales totaling more than 200 million albums. Sony BMG Music Entertainment's #1 best selling catalog act worldwide, AC/DC has sold nearly 71 million albums in the U.S. alone, making AC/DC one of the five top-selling bands in American music history. One of the group's best-loved works, the enormously successful and influential "Back In Black," has achieved RIAA "Double Diamond" status, with sales in excess of 22 million copies in the United States. It is the U.S.'s fifth largest-selling album ever. AC/DC’s intense live performances and innovative guitar driven music are at the core of the band’s 30-year legacy of great rock and roll music.

Pricing and Availability:
MSRP $7,495
To learn more about the AC/DC pinball machine, “Luci” and Stern Pinball, please visit www.sternpinball.com.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Nice, Stern doesn't have time to finish the code on their other release titles but then can come up with another edition of ACDC Premium. :FP:

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I don't think the software guys are involved with creating new artwork for cabinets and translites.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Re: AC/DC "Luci" Premium Edition

frolic said:
I don't think the software guys are involved with creating new artwork for cabinets and translites.

Resources focused in the wrong place, I think that's what people are upset about.

The ROI is way more on a repackaged ACDC as opposed to guys writing code for existing machines...new art will kick start new sales...new code will not (they already have your money, why continue to spend their money on it?). They SHOULD feel obligated to continue with code updates, and hopefully they feel the recent pushback from the community.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Well, if anything, if the factory is building these for weeks or whatever, that is extra time the software guys have to work on something else.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I don't understand this whole "release a game before the code is done".....I mean WTF!?!? I just don't understand how that works as a business modle. I think about my 1st pin; F-14, I'm pretty sure it just worked. Idk for sure, but I couldn't imagine williams giving updated chips to all, just cuz shit wasn't finished when they bought their game.

Sure, new artwork on an existing game.... It looks cool, I like it better then what they already had. But it's a complete game.

I'd be real hesident on buying a stern NIB. Cuz ya just don't know if it will ever be finished.

rant over.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
But weren't those all close to the end of the line games for Williams? Possibly that's a contributing factor to the demise of pinball in the '90's ....now it's common practice

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Am I missing something? What does Luci have to do with AC/DC? I don't recall seeing the artwork on an album. I don't recall a song with Luci in it.

Cheers,
Duane

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
TwilightZone said:
Am I missing something? What does Luci have to do with AC/DC? I don't recall seeing the artwork on an album. I don't recall a song with Luci in it.

Cheers,
Duane

True. Wouldn't a "whole lotta Rosie" machine make more sense.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Luckydogg420 said:
I don't understand this whole "release a game before the code is done".....I mean WTF!?!? I just don't understand how that works as a business modle. I think about my 1st pin; F-14, I'm pretty sure it just worked. Idk for sure, but I couldn't imagine williams giving updated chips to all, just cuz shit wasn't finished when they bought their game.

You would be correct in that F-14 only had one production software revision, but that wasn't the case for all games. Take a look at High Speed. That game has 4 production ROM revisions. Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast, always has been and always will be. If any company (not just pinball) waited to release anything until the software was 100% done, it would never release anything.

Now I'm not saying Stern isn't guilty of releasing games with seriously unfinished code because clearly they do, but there is no way you can expect them or anyone else to not release a game until the software is 100% perfect.

D

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Pins being released before code is done can be blamed on us, the buyers. If we're willing to line up and buy a pin before the code is done, why wouldn't they be tempted to sell them to us that way?
Of course, there's a lot of anger right now from customers who own pins that haven't been given much attention lately. Stern also isn't very good at communicating anything with their customers.
I expect Metallica owners were at least somewhat relieved when Gary said that they're up next.
At any rate, I hate the artwork on this one but I think it's a great idea. If Stern can keep the manufacturing line busy making more of these, the existing code teams can focus on working the bugs out of existing titles, with one less new game to focus on. Even if it just buys them a few months, that could be huge.
Stern needs to get caught up on coding some of their latest releases and it's not going to happen if they keep pumping new titles out.
Gary said that the business has employees to worry about. For that reason, they need to keep the manufacturing lines busy. They're not going to tell everyone to go home for a month while they get caught up so this is a win win for everyone in my opinion.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
Also need to keep in mind that they've changed cab design, so they have an excess of old cabs to get rid of now. AC/DC may not be a choice pin for everyone, but it's a proven seller.. I don't exactly see Avengers Premiums flying off the shelves :lol:

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Is there a famous artist attached to this? Not that familiar with this style of art or artists so its not something I would regognize...would have been cool to hire on a known music poster artist (Chuck Sperry?) to create the art package...lend some "Dirty Donny"-type interest.

However at least they didn't pull the ultimate cop-out--completely retheme the game with a different band...