• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

WTB: LOTR

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
Re: WTB: LOTR & STTNG

Menace said:
Didn't you already buy Adams sttng?

D

No, I think he would prefer to keep it, and I would if I was him too. I would definitely buy a machine from him though. Nicest most honest guy in the world! Sent pics of every little thing that was wrong with it, stuff I wouldn't have even noticed, and I notice everything! And also explained any issues it had in full detail. Amazing guy.

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne

Atariaction had an STTNG for sale not too long ago - not sure if it sold or is still for sale - colour DMD, LED's, etc.

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa

Hammerhead said:
Atariaction had an STTNG for sale not too long ago - not sure if it sold or is still for sale - colour DMD, LED's, etc.

WOW. THANK YOU! I love this site, so helpful.

I tried to google it and couldn't find a contact number. Can anyone tell me how to get in touch with these guys?

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
quarter grabber said:
Yes. It is easy to fix with a simple $50 Metal flipper cover from PBL. All I care about is playfield not cab. Do you have a LOTR?

Yes I have one. It has flipper wear but now that you mention the cab protectors, I should get a set. With those installed, all barriers to Valinor might be removed!

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Just get Ryan to do it for you ;)

Monkeybug said:
Yes I have one. It has flipper wear but now that you mention the cab protectors, I should get a set. With those installed, all barriers to Valinor might be removed!

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
Monkeybug said:
quarter grabber said:
Yes. It is easy to fix with a simple $50 Metal flipper cover from PBL. All I care about is playfield not cab. Do you have a LOTR?

Ah, you don't need it anymore. I'll take it off your hands for you. ;)

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Ryan,

I just traded my lotr today. Sorry. It was an offer that I could not refuse, for a friend of 23+ years who got me into pinball.
Patience, and you can always accept an affordable copy or example for now, even if you intend on upgrading it later on.

Patience, and loyalty will get you what you want in life over time, as long as you are helping others get what they want
over time as well.

Slow down. We were given 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason to use in equal proportion. I am about to use just my 2 ears
only once again for the next year. (other than my storytelling)

I spent my first 12 months in pinball listening, the last 5 months yammering on, and other than relaying stories, or encouraging
and supporting others in their endeavours to get what they want, I am going back to another 12 months of listening once again.
Good things come to those who wait.

Good luck.

Scott

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Agreed. If you are really desperate for a title, just get one that works.
Why limit yourself to collector quality only?
What if you hate it? Now you gotta find a top end buyer for that top end game.

I recently bought a nice player condition BSD knowing full well that one day I will have a nicer one.
And I'm a total condition snob ;)

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
WARLOCK said:
Ryan,

I just traded my lotr today. Sorry. It was an offer that I could not refuse, for a friend of 23+ years who got me into pinball.
Patience, and you can always accept an affordable copy or example for now, even if you intend on upgrading it later on.
Money will not buy you everything.

Patience, and loyalty will get you what you want in life over time, as long as you are helping others get what they want
over time as well.

Slow down. We were given 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason to use in equal proportion. I am about to use just my 2 ears
only once again for the next year. (other than my storytelling)
I spent my first 12 months in pinball listening, the last 5 months yammering on, and other than relaying stories, or encouraging
and supporting others in their endeavours to get what they want, I am going back to another 12 months of listening once again.

Good luck.

Scott

Thanks, I needed that. :D

I am looking for a players copy and will upgrade in the future. But even a players copy is out of reach it seems. I'm not against players copies. I just bought a players copy of STTNG, but I think I will do a restore on that one vs a trade up and replace. This is because my STTNG comes with a good story behind it. The pinball champion of Canada once owned it. ;)

You can't buy a story like that......Well I guess I did.

Thanks again for the good advice Scott

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
DRANO said:
Agreed. If you are really desperate for a title, just get one that works.
Why limit yourself to collector quality only?
What if you hate it? Now you gotta find a top end buyer for that top end game.

I recently bought a nice player condition BSD knowing full well that one day I will have a nicer one.
And I'm a total condition snob ;)

Also great advice, Thank you.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
WARLOCK said:
I spent my first 12 months in pinball listening, the last 5 months yammering on, and other than relaying stories, or encouraging and supporting others in their endeavours to get what they want, I am going back to another 12 months of listening once again.

I can't count how many people I have helped break into this hobby the last 2 years and hopefully have saved some people some headaches from over paying for poor conditioned game or get in over their head. Whether I am at home, at work or sometimes even out shopping with my family at Walmart I always try my best to check out pics forwarded to me and compose helpful and insightful reply. Scott has known me for a long enough time and always asks for my opinion on a game even if it looks mint. I helped saved someone last week making a big mistake or overpaying a pretty rough Black Rose for $2000 and here is what I wrote him back via PM:

Hi,

I just looked at the pictures and the cab is pretty faded especially on the left side and very rough with flipper button wear. I know the argument from the seller for this would be it is a 21 year old game and been around the block. The SINK SHIP inserts are showing heavy outlines around them and you can see what one looks like without here on ipdb for reference.

image-9.jpg

I also see what looks to be scratches on the playfield or maybe it is just the reflection cast from the flash and playfield glass? There is clearly canon wear around the top of the circle because the ball gets fired from under and sometimes might catch the lip. Cliffy makes a protector for this and you can see before and after pics of it here

http://passionforpinball.com/BlackRose.htm

I would check over the boards in the head for hacks, previous battery or capacitor leaks, burned connectors, etc. I would also check the canon mechanism under the playfield too as I am sure that motor is not cheap to replace at $249 and out of stock too at Mad Amusements. You might be able to send it off to Steve Young at pinballresource for complete rebuild but again might not be cheap.

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=381

Here are some other things you should check to make sure they are working because they can cost a bit if they need to replaced and make sure DMD is not gassing or have any lines out because that is another $150-250 plus shipping!

5 position membrane under lockdown bar
http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=1268

Honestly if it was me I wouldn't pay more then $1500-1600 for this game because in Montreal area right now you can get a nicer Doctor Who for not much more which I think is also an easier sell too. Black Rose has always been considered a C list game ever since I got into this hobby 3-4 years ago. Don't let my message discourage you but at $2000 that is top dollar for a Black Rose and last thing you wanna be is $2500-2600 into this game too!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask

Thanks,
Mike

Needless to say the guy was blown away because I didn't know him from a hole in the wall and gave him what he said was priceless information. He passed and good thing too because he said the seller was pretty firm at $2000 and 1400kms one way from his place. I said jesus for $1500-1600 it better be on my way to or from work and not a 2800km round trip efffff that! I hope he has secured his first pin and I looked at a few others he forwarded me.

Anyways, in regards to what LOTR are available there are none that I know of. The one from Drano's friend sold last week to another collector in Barrie. Warlock's has now been traded to his best friend which I knew was inevitable anyways and the only other person I know who might have a LOTR to sell right now is Brock but it might be off the market now that he has sold off a few of his other titles to pay off his MM. McMean has been wanting a LOTR since 2009 and earlier this year I bought a LOTR LE on his behalf and judging from this pic I don't think he will ever let it go.

8367794184_ffb9e6383b_c.jpg

Ryan you have come pretty far in a short period of time, just take the time now to learn and enjoy what you have. There will always be pins for sale in the future and when Stern releases the new Star Trek or JJP releases The Hobbit I am sure someone will have to purge some games to make room or raise money.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
That Tron has been around the block a few times too. I kind if feel like the one red paperclip - I eventually turned a Whirlwind into a Lotr through no fewer than 4 trades/sales/purchases.

And Mike - how did you know it was inevitable?