• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

What if Steve Young.......

chris silver

Oct 30, 2013
Hawkesbury, On.
What if Steve Young was to close his doors, sell Pinball Resource or heaven forbid pass away?

From what I understand regarding his company, his books are mostly stored in his head. How would an event like one of these effect the hobby/industry?

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
What if Steve Young was to close his doors, sell Pinball Resource or heaven forbid pass away?

From what I understand regarding his company, his books are mostly stored in his head. How would an event like one of these effect the hobby/industry?

I would think that if the company were taken over by another entity, sweeping changes to modernize would be made. It would be nice to have an updated website, virtual shopping cart and online payment...but I'm sure the pricing structure would change dramatically.

And the encyclopedic knowledge of Mr. Young, which is only accessible by telephone, would be a great loss. Mr. Young also does a lot of the parts producing and motor rebuilding in-house, himself. I hope those are some skills that can be passed along.

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
would hope he has a plan for for this , even if he retires , he would have to inventory everything to create a value for when he sells .

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I understand that he’s an invaluable asset to pinball, but I steer away from buying gottlieb games because of the antiquated methods that he uses for his business. It’s cool that you can talk to an expert directly, but if your a noob to the hobby and don’t know the exact part your looking for when calling then he can be a bit of a dick at times.

I’m sure if he were to create a proper website, have his inventory properly listed and made it easier to deal with he would do more business.

If he would sellout to (let’s say Marco) then I’d imagine the old molds and tooling would get more use, and that there would be a lot of games that could be repaired more easily.

Eg. my buddy had a Hollywood heat, the ramp was melted from a light directly under it. That ramp was unavailable as far a Steve told us. At the same time I had a Tee’d off, game. We noticed that they were virtually the same ramp. The only difference was that the tee’d off ramp had an extra bit of plastic to mount lights on. That ramp is available so he bought it and dremmeled off the extra bit of plastic, fixing his machine. So if The mould is available for the teed off why can’t it be used for Hollywood heat ramps. I’m sure that demand is part of the issue. But I feel that if a larger modern vendor had access to all of Steve’s stuff, then more parts would be made for all of these old games.

I’ve heard rumor that he doesn’t even know for sure what he all has, just because he has so much stuff. It would be sad if it never gets used to it’s full potential

fantasygoat

Apr 19, 2015
Toronto, ON
I've been doing a lot of business with PBR lately on my EM project and I find the email back and forth perfectly fine. I send part numbers, for anything without part numbers they confirm what I want, all easy peasy. Also they answer any questions I have usually same day and have a ton of things not listed - including used parts for NLA stuff.

Paying by money order is a pain in the ass though.