• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Welcome to the Blog section!

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
I wanted to create this section specifically for those of us who wish to express their thoughts, journals, daily/weekly/monthly rantings in sort of an "open commentary" kind of way without the trouble of setting up shop at "Blogspot" or "Wordpress", etc. A lot of us have projects on the go, and documenting them can sometimes help others, or simply give a new perspective on how things can be accomplished in the hobby.

As per the general vibe of our forum -- the rules are, there are no rules. I simply ask that we keep it Canadian. :D

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
Great idea! and if we ever get enough donations to purchase a professional board software, they have blogs built in for members, which are more like a news feed or traditional blog!

If anyone has questions about starting a blog, I would be glad to help

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
So, what constitutes a 'blog' then?

I know credit dot is an actual blog, but would my ongoing restoration thread qualify as well? That was always my original intention, but figured the content would fit better here on the forum (and I didn't really want to go to all the trouble of setting up a real site :D ). If a built-in blog option became available, I would also be very happy with this model.

Donation sent.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Where were you a month ago when I was starting out Credit Dot?

In all honesty, the detailed stats that are given to you as a Wordpress member about your readership--where your clicks are coming from, what people are reading, how much they are reading--are incredibly valuable, not only to see what works/doesn't, but also to motivate you to add more content because it tells you how many people are reading/visiting. What can I say, I'm a numbers guy. Its relatively cheap to do if you want to own your own .com, and completely free if you don't mind a Wordpress or Blogger prefix. Easy to use, too.

I get it, it's in PBRev's best interest to try and keep all the original content contained, rather than having folks click away from the site. However, I'm not sure you should shoehorn some of these wonderful in-depth threads that have been created on PBRev into a "blog" category. As Drano said above, what constitutes a "blog" anyhow? Tales of Pinball Adventures? Menace Files? Drano's Restoration Thread? Pinball With a Vengeance? Tim's Jokerz Thread? All of the above? Can we consider anything with more than two or three posts by the original poster on a specific topic a "blog"? As I said when I started Credit Dot, I'm not a fan of the word "blog" or its derivatives, and I avoid, at ALL COSTS, as the term is trite and tarnished. I'm all for original content and opinion-based writing but I think the answer to what you are looking for on this site lies somewhere between the terms "thread" and "blog", or a blend of the two. A throg? A blead? I'll continue to post on my update thread, as I see it has been moved here.

Hopefully we raise enough money to get a blog interface included on the site...as that would be the best solution.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
spiroagnew said:
Hopefully we raise enough money to get a blog interface included on the site...as that would be the best solution.

Agreed! (PS. Huge thanks to Drano for his recent contribution. :) )

This section is to merely offer a blog-style "outlet" of sorts that's more familiar to the average forum user, nothing more. People can choose to post in here, or the tech section, or in the general chat if they wish. I just thought this would be a nice "container" for it all so peoples' "journals" don't get lost in the mix.

We'll be upgrading the site software very soon, and then we can move forward with a few AWESOME idea's we've got in store for the site -- more on that later.

Cheers

- B

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I'd be happy to have my thread moved to this section but one of you admins will have to do that.
I have attempted to break up the posts into some sort of serial/installment format.

Having a proper blog section with searchable content and people's replies treated as comments below the main entry would be really nice.