• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Upgraded Speaker Suggestions

pinballjah

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I have been thinking about upgrading some of the speakers in some of my games, mainly Stern (Kiss, AC/DC, Metallica). I rather avoid some of the pinball speaker companies and find some cheaper options on Amazon.ca, etc. Any suggestions for upgraded speakers you can buy directly in Canada? Are there any specific requirements for pinball speakers (ohms, etc.)?

Please feel free to post any links of speakers you have used or recommend. Thanks for the help.

Sbird

Feb 21, 2017
Porters Lake NS
I have good luck with the pyle speakers via amazon.ca - every once in a while a new box return comes up and the price is really good. Speakers are another item that Canada get ripped off on price but not many other options - by the time I factored in duty and shipping it was still cheaper to buy via the USA but no guarantee on delivery time. Amazon had the speakers to NS in a couple of days. I have been using the following:
PLPW8D for the sub
PL53BL:
PL42BL:
I have been using the speakers with the amplifier kits from Dan at pinwoofer - work well together - slowly removing external subs and just using the pinwoofer amps/sub combination.

Hammerbrother

Feb 17, 2019
Stoney Creek
Speakerlightkits.com sells a plate so you can put 5.25" speakers in easily.
I picked up a pair of the same Kenwood speakers Stern uses in the LE's at Canadian tire for $60+tax.
Great product.

Sbird

Feb 21, 2017
Porters Lake NS
I find the amplifier kits produce a cleaner sound and you notice the sound effects much more - only real issue I ran into is having a more powerful sub in the cabinet acts like an additional shaker motor if set too high - had to make sure nothing is loose in the cabinet. Pinwoofer has excellent customer service - the only drawback is he is based in Idaho and is a small company so shipping is painful. Really notice the sound when have one machine going - obliviously this gets negated somewhat when several machines are going at the same time. But getting yelled at for making too much noise means they must be working.

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
I have games with upgraded speakers and 1 game with original speakers. All are connected to an external sub. Internal sub shakes the glass and/or has to be turned down some.

In my situation I find that it's the external sub that makes the biggest sound improvement as opposed to better speakers. I have pinsounds in all my games though so the sound is better quality to start with.

I also get the Pinnovators kits and mixer.