• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Track-Ball Issues

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
I have a Chicago Gaming Co. multi arcade game with a very rough track-ball controller between the joysticks. What I am wondering is if anyone has tried to clean/repair these or are they basically a replacement situation. I have not tried to take it apart yet, but I was thinking it might be in need of cleaning like an old style mouse that needed the ball and rollers cleaned. Anyone with experience with these?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Most track-ball's that I've ever seen are rebuild-able. Depending on the MFG of the ball (it won't be Chicago Gaming) you should be able to buy a rebuild kit, with new rollers and bearings. Before you go that route you could always take it apart and just clean the rollers and see if the bearings are rough.

D

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Yes I've taken apart a bunch of trackballs. If you haven't oiled the bearings then it's likely due. Use 3-1 oil. If it's a wico or Happ trackball etc then you'll find 3 roller shafts inside with two bearings on each shaft. Take the shafts out stick them in a drill and use find grit sandpaper to remove any rust or crap built on. Let the bearings run in some oil for a while, put them on the shaft in the drill, hold onto them and run the drill for a while to work them around. If they are still crap replace them... Maybe $2-$3 a piece.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
I had to do one last night so I snapped a pic for you.

c052ab765ed81ff95488489f69edaf45.jpg

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
I always say, if you take enough bolts out of it, it will fall apart.
So it is serviceable. Excellent, thanks for the picture. Mine is very rough and lumpy feeling. I cleaned a lot of crud off the ball externally but I think I need to open her up and clean inside. I think I will need a rebuilt kit Menace mentioned, mine sounds like bearing issues also.

Have any idea what a new unit is worth compared to rebuilt kit?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
New units are usually over $100 these days (they were pushing that years ago so it's got to be more now). Rebuild kits are relatively cheap, maybe $20?

D