• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tim's SKYLAB thread

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Tim,
Find the bonus unit.. take it apart, clean it, put it back in.... I'll bet most or all of this behavior clears up.
The bonus unit is a stepper with a wheel full fo contacts. They probably need to be polished and re-greased.
Anyone who owns or repairs EMs needs to get comfortable with this process.
It looks a lot more complicated than it is.

Clay covers all you kneed to know here: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

As for the liberal/conservative adjustment, it was in the head cabinet. I'm pretty sure the jones plug was set to conservative, but I could be wrong.

tim.sanderson

Anyone who owns or repairs EMs needs to get comfortable with this process.
It looks a lot more complicated than it is.
Yup. I had a couple of issues with the score reels yesterday, too. The '10 - 90 reel's coil was very often getting stuck on. It was getting quite hot, quite fast. I pulled them all out and gave the switches a good cleaning. It's seemed to solve the sticking problem, as well as the backwards scoring thing I had going on.

The game was already set to CONSERVATIVE.
cons-lib_800px.jpg
When I switched it to LIBERAL, one difference is that special is lit when you light S-P-A-C-E-L, instead of requiring you to light all of S-P-A-C-E-L-A-B.
Also, SPECIAL awards thee credits in LIBERAL, but only one in CONSERVATIVE.

I'll dig into the bonus problem a little later in the day.

tim.sanderson

I figured out why I wasn't getting a 10K bonus when collecting the special... I wasn't supposed to.
There's a Jones plug in the head that lets you change between three different variations of two different ways to play.
special_scores_800px.jpg
I had it set on the top option:
Spacelab Special awarded a credit. (silly for free play/home use)
Rocket Special awarded an add-a-ball. (RS is when you get all 5 captured balls on the same side)

When I plug into the #3 slot, I get awarded 10K for both of the specials.

I'll likely plug into #2 for a while. If that makes for too long of a game, I'll switch to #3.

The reason for the novelty setting was to try and keep this machine from being seen as a gambling device. Add-a-balls and free credits were seen by the law to be spoils of gambling.

I'll have to make up a rule card that reflects each of the settings. Right now the only one I have is for the NOVELTY setup. That's probably what confused me. It wasn't until I read the differences between the SKYLAB and SPACELAB machines that I realized it was probably just a setting to get the 10K bonus.

Not only that, I seem to be getting more accurate bonus scoring, although that may just be because I cleaned most of the switches in the cabinet.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Add-a-balls were the workaround for the gambling laws. Free games/credits were seen as payouts. Adding a ball simply extends play.
The novelty settings are usually for home/free play or ideal for tournament play.

Good catch Tim!

Reactions: tim.sanderson