• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The THANKS-giving thread

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
With our Thanksgiving holiday just a couple of weeks behind us and our neighbours to the South about to celebrate their own, I thought it would be an appropriate time to start this thread. I have always felt that the vast majority of folks in this hobby are a pretty awesome lot. Recent experiences have greatly reinforced this opinion and I just wanted to create a place to recognize those that go above and beyond. I hope others will use this thread to do the same.

Firstly, the travelling exploits of Warlock and Brewmanager are well documented and I owe many a game in my basement to the efforts of those two.
Scott and Walt and I are all friends and I suppose this isn't news... but my appreciation goes out to them anyway. Also, our own resident enabler has helped me procure more than a game or two :FP:

I have also had the good fortune to be on the receiving end of much goodwill from people that were once relative strangers. Some have become good friends and others I have still not met. I've had tons of help securing games and parts from great distances and across the border; whether it be from Squidvicious bringing me my C37 from Michigan a couple of years ago on his way back from Expo or Spiroagnew assisting with the collection of a minty T2 from upper NY state.

More recently, I was lucky to receive the help of DosReboot (whom I have never met) in procuring a rare find; a beautiful populated Space Station playfield near Detroit. I was then further assisted by TKAYE in getting the same playfield back to the GTA.

Last week, while I was on a family vacation, two games I have wanted became avaiable. One was a mint HUO Interflip Dragon near Newmarket. Without any means of obtaining or paying for the game, Menace (who lives near the seller) came to the rescue and even enlisted the help of a neighbour to get it out of the basement and safely home. Within a day, FiftyQuid listed a 1959 Williams Pinch Hitter for a co-worker. I had been looking for a classic P&B for about two years. I was amazed that Tim was so willing to help me out and hop in a car late monday night and drive a fair distance to Petawawa and back to grab it for me. He and I have also never met and had only exchanged a couple of PMs in the past. On a side note, I think I may now hold the record for long distance pin purchases :D

Lastly, it is a testament to our great community, accross multiple forums and geographical regions, that I have had the great fortune to receive the hospitality of a great many of you from Windsor & London to Ottawa, Montreal and beyond. Many of you have opened your homes to me and my friends and it is always greatly appreciated.

I know that I could go on and on, and I'm sure I have missed people, but hopefully a heartfelt 'thank you' to all will suffice for now.
I also hope I am not embarassing anyone, but I believe in giving credit where credit is due. All of these folks and their great attitudes have made the hobby a great place to be and have provided far more enjoyment than I could have simply derived from flipping around a steel ball.

So, to everyone I've noted and those I haven't, my greatest appreciation.
Thank you!!!

Reactions: WARLOCK

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Well said sir.
I owe a lot of thanks to a lot of people on a regular basis in this hobby.
Thank you all.

Adriano, Walt, Doug and myself, as well as many others try and return the favours wherever possible.

A special thanks from myself goes out to Williams Fan, Murrsky, Trevor H. and Mobstar in Ottawa lately.
A special thanks to Sparky on a regular basis, R.A.B. and Moving Pictures in Montreal of late as well.

A general discussion " behind the scenes" of indicating and embracing "gratitude" is prevalent recently.
I think this is a great thing and it keeps things happening and getting even better.

Thanks to Wong, Drano and several others (who know who they all are) for constantly "keeping me in trouble" hunting that next treasure.
I have found that the key for myself lately is to pass many of these aquisitions along to others much sooner rather than later.

Thank you all for making this a fun and enjoyable hobby.
Thank you for your continued assistance.

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
Over the years I have to give thanks to pinhead, medvet, 110phil, mwong168, menace, Warlock, vengeance, pinballfan87, Murrsky, johnnypow,twilightzone, pinball customs, brewmanager, Dave Astill, poolman, cait001, pinball junkie, tom454, 88goldfinger88, cdnpinballer, Webejamn, drano, toedecker, sly, hippochrome, pharoah007, Sensfreak and cyclone who have all helped me obtain pins.

I must thank Sylvain, pinhead, 4eyes, pharaoh007, twilightzone, 88goldfinger88, medvet and tom454 for all of their repair help. Without all of you this hobby would not be possible for me.

ShootAgain

Aug 6, 2013
Gatineau
I have a ton of people to thank. If it wasn't for everyone here I wouldn't even have a pinball machine.

Thank you to maaca and PBRev! Without these sites, there would be no community.

Thank you to Josh who annually organizes the only Pinball show in Canada.

Thank you to Sylvain and Pinhead, The experts who help me to fix my machines.

Thank you all :mrgreen:

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Want to say a HUGE thanks to my buddies Josh (meegis) and Doug (menace) for helping me get a nice Gottlieb Pinball Pool to work on during the winter months.

Want to say a huge FU to the assholes who tried to sour the deal after I already paid for the machine (you know who you are). Saying "I would have paid you $XXX!" when you obviously wouldn't have is very helpful.

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
REVOLUTION said:
Want to say a huge FU to the assholes who tried to sour the deal after I already paid for the machine (you know who you are). Saying "I would have paid you $XXX!" when you obviously wouldn't have is very helpful.

Who are they? Call these guys out Brock!

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
A huge thanks again to mwong168 for enabling my first pin and to Jooky for really going out of his way to help me get the pin to my house!

maken

Jan 2, 2014
Kitchener
Safe to say that nobody can get by in this hobby without the help of others. Personally, I can't lift a widebody on my own. Or a standard. Lol

Thanks to mitch_a for his constant help with... well, everything. From pin-hauling (I drive a sedan) to complicated repairs and everything in between, I couldn't exist in this hobby without him.

Also, thanks to my pal dbeeson for hosting regular pinball nights and putting his machines through heavy amounts of play. The community needs generous members like this, I sure as shit aint putting my own machines through that type of abuse :lol:

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I appreciate all of the kind words guys, but I'm honestly just happy to help.

I am a firm believer in the term "Pay it forward", and I try to do just that every time I can. To Drano and Brock or anyone else that I'm in contact with, knowing that I get to play a small part in this hobby and help to make it what it is for each of you is thanks enough, because to me that's what makes this hobby so great. It goes beyond the blinking lights, the sounds of the games and the speed of the silver ball. It's the friendships and the journeys and ultimately the memories we create along the way. My good friend Slama told me years ago on our way to Expo that the best part of pinball is always about the stories behind the games, and he couldn't have been more right...

Being one of the "old timers" in the hobby I cannot begin to count the number of people that have helped me with things big and small along the way. I can only hope that I have been able to acknowledge this in some way shape or form, and that I have never left any of these people feeling like their assistance was not greatly appreciated.

D

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Menace said:
I appreciate all of the kind words guys, but I'm honestly just happy to help.

I am a firm believer in the term "Pay it forward", and I try to do just that every time I can. To Drano and Brock or anyone else that I'm in contact with, knowing that I get to play a small part in this hobby and help to make it what it is for each of you is thanks enough, because to me that's what makes this hobby so great. It goes beyond the blinking lights, the sounds of the games and the speed of the silver ball. It's the friendships and the journeys and ultimately the memories we create along the way. My good friend Slama told me years ago on our way to Expo that the best part of pinball is always about the stories behind the games, and he couldn't have been more right...

Being one of the "old timers" in the hobby I cannot begin to count the number of people that have helped me with things big and small along the way. I can only hope that I have been able to acknowledge this in some way shape or form, and that I have never left any of these people feeling like their assistance was not greatly appreciated.

D

tumblr_m2362rynno1rtpglmo1_500.gif

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
I am thank-ful to a lot of people in this hobby. First my good bud Terry (aka Budfan) with whom I would not have known pinball was still alive, until I was at his place a year and a half ago and he had his ACDC. I immediately went out and got one, and since then many pins have come into my basement and out and my collection is now up to 7. 8th one will be here soon hopefully (if they ever produce MMR!). :x

Big thanks to Drano, Scott, Walt, Josh, Todd, Brock, Doug, Chris, Rob, Elliott and the rest of the gang (you all know who you are...sorry if I forgot some names) for providing me advice along the way, keeping me grounded when at times I would be too impulsive when thinking about buying another pin. Big thanks for many of the laughs....even if the majority were at my own expense!

I'd also like to thank all the folks I've dealt with either in selling or purchasing games. Some experiences were fantastic, others, not so much, but from each experience I've retained some lessons learned and try to put into practice moving forward.

The biggest thanks goes to Mike Wong, aka The Enabler who took me under his wing and taught me some of the finer points of this hobby. Most notably, Bally Williams pins. I'm officially addicted.

Reg

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Bigbossfan said:
I am thank-ful to a lot of people in this hobby. First my good bud Terry (aka Budfan) with whom I would not have known pinball was still alive, until I was at his place a year and a half ago and he had his ACDC. I immediately went out and got one, and since then many pins have come into my basement and out and my collection is now up to 7. 8th one will be here soon hopefully (if they ever produce MMR!). :x

Big thanks to Drano, Scott, Walt, Josh, Todd, Brock, Doug, Chris, Rob, Elliott and the rest of the gang (you all know who you are...sorry if I forgot some names) for providing me advice along the way, keeping me grounded when at times I would be too impulsive when thinking about buying another pin. Big thanks for many of the laughs....even if the majority were at my own expense!

I'd also like to thank all the folks I've dealt with either in selling or purchasing games. Some experiences were fantastic, others, not so much, but from each experience I've retained some lessons learned and try to put into practice moving forward.

The biggest thanks goes to Mike Wong, aka The Enabler who took me under his wing and taught me some of the finer points of this hobby. Most notably, Bally Williams pins. I'm officially addicted.

Reg

My name is on a Reg post :FP:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
A huge thanks goes out to Robert for playing host to a couple of crazy Ontario boys on another mission from Gahd.
Scott and I greatly appreciate your warm hospitality and good company this last weekend. I know we both enjoyed ourselves immensely and it was a welcome break from the daily grind. Thanks also to Justin for Saturday night's entertainment, as well as Adam for providing some excellent friendly competition throughout the weekend.

For those of you who have not had the pleasure to hang out with Robert at his Montreal Pinball HQ, here are some great pics captured over the last couple of days.

Of course, no Warlock trip to Montreal is complete without an impressive number of machines moving back and forth across ON/QC. I believe we had about 15 machines in the cube van at one point; I'm sure Scott will confirm.

We had a great time stopping in briefly with Williamsfan and FiftyQuid, as well as some quick hit & runs with a few others. Meeting Hippochrome, Marcus, Alan and others was another happy byproduct of our labours. And lastly, no trip to Montreal can be complete without a quick stop at Sparky's. His good humour and warm family are always a pleasure, however brief our encounter.

Waking up on Sunday morning and looking accross the river to a snow-covered view of Westmount was an omen that our pin-hauling activities needed to come to a halt for this year... or at least slow down :D.
It's now time to hunker down for Winter and enjoy the holidays, a few great projects and take stock of 2014.

Thank you all!
Adriano

Attachments

• 20141114_211909.jpg
    20141114_211909.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 320
  • 20141115_155331.jpg
    20141115_155331.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 319
Reactions: in2pin

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Thanks to all who made this last big journey of the season a great event.
In addition to a thanks to all for your friendship and hospitality...

Thanks to the Ottawa crew.
Williams Fan, Pinhead, Hippochrome, Fifty Quid, Ethous, Craig

Thanks to the Montreal crew.
R.A.B., JTE, pinball87, mbudman, Gerry, Stephane, Sparky and Starburst.

Thanks to all the guys in this GTA place from Whitby to Mississauga.

Thanks to Alf and Jason in Whitby. (Syd will be very happy)
Thanks to Aerostarz (Sean) Informer. (for filling in the blanks)
Thanks to Drano (Adriano) Navigator.
Thanks to Meegis (Josh) Warehouser.
Thanks to Superjackpot (Barry) Influencer.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
WARLOCK said:
Thanks to all who made this last big journey of the season a great event.
In addition to a thanks to all for your friendship and hospitality...

Thanks to the Ottawa crew.
Williams Fan, Pinhead, Hippochrome, Fifty Quid, Ethous, Craig

Thanks to the Montreal crew.
R.A.B., JTE, pinball87, mbudman, Gerry, Stephane, Sparky and Starburst.

Thanks to all the guys in this GTA place from Whitby to Mississauga.

Thanks to Alf and Jason in Whitby. (Syd will be very happy)
Thanks to Aerostarz (Sean) Informer. (for filling in the blanks)
Thanks to Drano (Adriano) Navigator.
Thanks to Meegis (Josh) Warehouser.
Thanks to Superjackpot (Barry) Influencer.

Anytime man. More space to come.