• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

SOLD Stern Spike 2 - QUIET FAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pin_Fandango

Dec 29, 2020
Ottawa
Looks like I can source all the parts needed to make these, they were out of stock for a long time!

I am not looking at shipping this out but I thought of making a bunch to help pinball-ers in my area.
This is a good opportunity to meet others in the hobby as well.

I estimated cost at about $20 dollars for 1 fan kit but might be a little less once I tally all up.

NOTES:

• It will be a plug and play replacement just like pin monk's fan replacement kit.
  • I am doing these for fun, because I like to tinker with this stuff and help others in the hobby.
  • If you are in the Ottawa area and need some, I need to know what quantity you want, so I can order all the parts.
  • I will do one batch only, there will probably be no re runs as I am starting a 2nd Job soon and won't have time for this in the future.
  • This is a non for profit effort to help pinball-ers in the Ottawa area. I would sell these at cost and they would be a copy of the pin monk kit
  • You can make your own if you source the parts yourself, everything is posted here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans
  • If you need help installing, are not comfortable putting your hands in there, or simply do not want to do it. I am happy to help you provided my schedule allows
THIS IS FOR SPIKE II SYSTEMS ONLY

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

You will need
11/32" socket
#2 Phillips screw driver to remove the lid
2 #10 Robertson self threading screws (you have 2 + 1 extra extra screw with every kit) and I have included a screwdriver tip with every kit.
Clippers / Wire cutter (not a wiring stripping tool, more details in vid #4 around the end)

STEP 1:
Notes:
upper 4 screws need to be loosened
Lower 2 screws need to be removed

STEP 2:
Disconnectiong the power supply for removal

Step 3:
removing the lid

Step 4:
This is the most important step - Take your time here
Removing the OEM fan and dealing with the BLOB! lol Watch me man handle this thing as I say 400 times to not do this. lol Just be careful do not pull anything off the board, the glue will not come off, don't try.

Step 5 - THE END -

STEP 6:
check your work!
Make sure it runs.
It might take anywhere from 30-45 minutes for the fan to run after you start the game. After that it seems to kick in sooner once everything warms up.
If you put the trans lite on and play and game, you will NOT hear the fan, so before you play, I would recommend that you leave the game running and place something really light on top of the fan. If it gets blown off then you know it works. If you just happen to be in the vicinity and leave the game running you might hear it come on. It is very quiet so you will have to be close.
Just check your work. Worst thing that will happen is that the game will shut off once it reaches the temp threshold of 170F if the fan does not come on at 150F.

Cheers!
Juan

Last edited:
Reactions: Ponzie

Pin_Fandango

Dec 29, 2020
Ottawa
The fan model # changes every time they run out of stock, when they make new fans they never seem to have the same part number, because the change the connector or the cable length or the voltage or whatever, hence, a new fan is born.

The fan I am using is:
https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/sunon-fans/4129-HA40201V4-1000U-A99/9838568

Note: The connector and housing on the fan are incorrect as it comes from digikey.
I will be replacing it with the right one, it will all be crimped with a factory type crimp. it will be perfect and will give a factory look.

All the parts have been ordered today, I am making 30 of these and 15 are already spoken for.

Only 15 left!

PS/ if it turns out to be really easy to make these (as I expect) I might do another run, it will all really depend on how busy I get in the next few weeks.

FYI I have one already installed in my Stth and it is nice to not hear the game take off like a JET. I have been also monitoring for how long it runs (if the room is quite you can hear some) and the fan runs for about 4-6 minutes depending on the room temp. The other day, before I turned the A/C on the fan ran for about 8 minutes.
The fact that it only comes on when needed is an indication that everything works as expected.

The power converter has a failsafe feature and it will shut down if it ever overheats, this would only happen in case the fan fails, the threshold is (according to pin monk) around 170 degrees.

The fan comes on when the unit is over 122F and shuts off at about 104F . If the unit never exceeds 122F the fan will never come on.

All this is explained on the thread I posted before.

Please also note:
People using these fans are taking full responsibility for any issues that might arise by using this kit. :)

Last edited:

Pin_Fandango

Dec 29, 2020
Ottawa
For those curious.
The power supply has two sensors as seen below:
IMG_5955.jpg

These will trigger the fan on/off when the temperature on these places reaches 50C/122F and 40C/104F respectively:
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 11.42.36 PM.png

I've measured the air temperature inside the unit after 1 hour and 2 fan cycles and the air temp is steadily at 83~89F, the fan runs for about 4 minutes every 30 minutes:
IMG_6004.jpeg
IMG_6005.jpeg

I cannot measure the temperature at the locations marked above because the unit is closed, but the fact that fan runs and shuts off after certain amount of time indicates it all works as it should or It would otherwise never stop running.

I will make some instructions for the installation, fyi, It is very easy to install.

J

Last edited:

Pin_Fandango

Dec 29, 2020
Ottawa
I made a few fans tonight, got 6 done, unfortunately I run out of shrink tubing so I will have to go shopping for that and also the screws for re-attaching the new fan.

So shrink tubing it is, then also new screws (the thread cutting screws in the OEM fan are too small for the new fan). I will go shopping for these things as soon as I can.

I don't think I will ever make these again other than for myself, it is just too much work...
Some piece of advice: unless you already have/own the tools to make your own, do not buy the parts, just buy Pin Monk's kit, will cost around $45 shipped more or less (according to a store here in Ottawa) not sure how much it costs to buy direct from him, but I estimate about the same?.. No idea.

Roll your own? some advice:
To make your own, you will need a good crimper tool to make good crimps on these JSP connectors (they are tiny) and it defeats the purpose of saving money if you are buying it just for this. In case you were wondering a cheap crimp tool will just cause you headaches, so do not buy a cheap tool, buy a good one for the job, good crimpers do only one job, multi purpose/do it all crimpers do crappy crimps. Do no make crappy crimps. I have all the tools so for it is a wash.

By the way, I also own Pin Monk's fan and even though they both have the same specs, the fan I am using seems to be quieter than his(12.db and 5.5 CFM). I can't explain it really, other than different shaped blades in the one I use they are otherwise identical... It is very quiet, so I like mine more! win!

I did not get any more requests after the initial 15, so I still have 15 left, I was hoping to get some more I guess but no worries...I am keeping some for my own games and will also be offering in other forums so if you want one please let me know asap.

PRICE:
I tried really hard to keep the price of these really low, I was hoping to get closer to $16 but I can't.
Sorry.
I will sell these to Ottawa pinheads for $18, cost, and I am probably losing a few bucks - so you gotta pick it up in Kanata - :)

I guess I could ship these out too, but then, that will cost me more of my time and I am trying to avoid making multiple trips to the post office, ultimately I would be willing to help, but be mindful of my time please. :)

If nobody picks them up here on this forum, no worries, I will offer these on PINSIDE by Monday, in that case you might see a higher price there, just FYI and do not be alarmed.

Cheers!

Last edited:

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
When you want to ship to SW Ont. Hit me up for 2.
Anyone else near Woodstock should jump in and let's do a group buy or save on some shipping.

Aerosmith is loud, I don't know if Heavy Metal should be compatible. It is a spike 2. Just a pretty bare bones spike 2.

Also looking to join the London league once it gets going. Just in case you are on the fence in London area.

Reactions: Pin_Fandango

Ponzie

Oct 3, 2017
Ottawa
I made a few fans tonight, got 6 done, unfortunately I run out of shrink tubing so I will have to go shopping for that and also the screws for re-attaching the new fan.

So shrink tubing it is, then also new screws (the thread cutting screws in the OEM fan are too small for the new fan). I will go shopping for these things as soon as I can.

I don't think I will ever make these again other than for myself, it is just too much work...
Some piece of advice: unless you already have/own the tools to make your own, do not buy the parts, just buy Pin Monk's kit, will cost around $45 shipped more or less (according to a store here in Ottawa) not sure how much it costs to buy direct from him, but I estimate about the same?.. No idea.

Roll your own? some advice:
To make your own, you will need a good crimper tool to make good crimps on these JSP connectors (they are tiny) and it defeats the purpose of saving money if you are buying it just for this. In case you were wondering a cheap crimp tool will just cause you headaches, so do not buy a cheap tool, buy a good one for the job, good crimpers do only one job, multi purpose/do it all crimpers do crappy crimps. Do no make crappy crimps. I have all the tools so for it is a wash.

By the way, I also own Pin Monk's fan and even though they both have the same specs, the fan I am using seems to be quieter than his(12.db and 5.5 CFM). I can't explain it really, other than different shaped blades in the one I use they are otherwise identical... It is very quiet, so I like mine more! win!

I did not get any more requests after the initial 15, so I still have 15 left, I was hoping to get some more I guess but no worries...I am keeping some for my own games and will also be offering in other forums so if you want one please let me know asap.

PRICE:
I tried really hard to keep the price of these really low, I was hoping to get closer to $16 but I can't.
Sorry.
I will sell these to Ottawa pinheads for $18, cost, and I am probably losing a few bucks - so you gotta pick it up in Kanata - :)

I guess I could ship these out too, but then, that will cost me more of my time and I am trying to avoid making multiple trips to the post office, ultimately I would be willing to help, but be mindful of my time please. :)

If nobody picks them up here on this forum, no worries, I will offer these on PINSIDE by Monday, in that case you might see a higher price there, just FYI and do not be alarmed.

Cheers!
Hey Juan,
Thanks for doing this!
I'm still in for my 6 and will happily pick them up whenever.
Glad they turned out well!
Looking forward to a quieter fan on my SW, JP and upcoming Mando!
Cheers!

Pin_Fandango

Dec 29, 2020
Ottawa
When you want to ship to SW Ont. Hit me up for 2.
Anyone else near Woodstock should jump in and let's do a group buy or save on some shipping.

Aerosmith is loud, I don't know if Heavy Metal should be compatible. It is a spike 2. Just a pretty bare bones spike 2.

Also looking to join the London league once it gets going. Just in case you are on the fence in London area.

Thanks. I will give you a hand, just find more people in your area and order 10 of these and I will ship them out.
This would be easier for me.

Pin_Fandango

Dec 29, 2020
Ottawa
Hey Juan,
Thanks for doing this!
I'm still in for my 6 and will happily pick them up whenever.
Glad they turned out well!
Looking forward to a quieter fan on my SW, JP and upcoming Mando!
Cheers!

Sounds good! I jus need to pick up a few components and they should be ready soon.

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
Awesome that you did this, not surprised to hear they are a bit of work and not worth the effort without the tools. The crimping advice is on point, I bought a cheap one and paid for it, I would have been better off with pliers so good crimpers are a good investment!

There is an alternative now that is a 3D printed part that sits on top of the fan and allows the use of a bigger more readily available PC fan.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/t...ad-lets-better-the-hobby/page/14#post-6256361

Smokezz

Apr 29, 2019
Kingsville, ON
I'll take one when you're ready to ship some out, I'm going to be getting JP soon once Player1 gets them in stock. (Or an Iron Maiden... or TMNT really haven't decided tbh) and really dislike the fan noise in the Sterns.

Pin_Fandango

Dec 29, 2020
Ottawa
I only have 5 fans left out of the 30 and once they are gone they are gone, am not doing this ever again, lol.

I am shipping a few bulk orders tomorrow, so if you want one and need shipping, I might give a hand and save myself a future trip to the post office, packing, etc etc etc. After I have done this trip to the post office tomorrow, sorry, no more shipping! Not being a d!ck, I just sincerely will not have the time to do this. Sorry.

Instructions / Installation:
I will post instructions for installation once the people that bought it, pick them up. These will be added on the first post - if I am allowed to edit -, so they are easier to find.
I made videos and should be pretty easy install even if you have never done something like this before.

I am glad I was able to help a few pinabllers in my area! that was the whole idea behind this.

Thanks

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I took 2
No rush to install until my warranty expires.
Just know I want to have them.
New stern fans are very Noticeable.

Hit me up when you are going to try the flipper coil cooling fans.
I am not up to that kind of game time yet.....

Pin_Fandango

Dec 29, 2020
Ottawa
Flipper cooling fans are in my tinkering list. Just need to find the time.

I do not believe is fair to charge people $100-$200 for a 3d printed part that cost pennies to make...
So I am planning on making the design FREE. :)

Because you know... KARMA, BABY!

I just need to figure out the electrical portion of it, I know there is a 12V output at every coin door node board on a SPIKE II, but never installed anything there yet.

If someone already has these fans installed, please let me know.

Thanks!
J

Pin_Fandango

Dec 29, 2020
Ottawa
:)
On another note, Instructions added to the first post.

ALL FANS ARE SOLD OUT.

Thank you and enjoy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.