• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Stern Plunger Assemblies: Broken Plastic Tips

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
So my Rush machine, less than 500 plays, has its first broken mechanical part. Center scoop plunger assembly (Stern part number 515-7318-00). It is a standard solenoid plunger with the nylon plastic tip extension. Plastic tip broke off in normal play. I have dealt with this issue on 3 other machines, the part is expensive and it drive me nuts having to replace it.

Is there a good solution to glue this back together? Doing some research, it looks like JB weld 2-part expoxy plastic weld may work.

Just curious if other have done this repair in the past and is ther a permanent solution without spending $50 on a new plunger assembly from Stern?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3400.jpg
    IMG_3400.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Stern part.png
    Stern part.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 17

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Stern won't cover that under warranty for a NIB game? No way should that fail that soon. If that happened to me, I might try 3d printing my own replacement tip.

The epoxy could also work. Can't really see how you'd be able to do any more damage that way. Worst case is it breaks again.

Is this the same part: https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-p...nsion-for-kickback-and-kicker-assemblies.html. 14 bucks is better than 50, and could keep a couple of spares on hand?

Pharoah007

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
Nothing to loose with epoxy.

I would drill a small hole in both sides of the brake and insert a wooden or metal dowel before using epoxy to seal them together. Use epoxy on the dowel as well. Should give it more bite.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Stern won't cover that under warranty for a NIB game? No way should that fail that soon. If that happened to me, I might try 3d printing my own replacement tip.

The epoxy could also work. Can't really see how you'd be able to do any more damage that way. Worst case is it breaks again.

Is this the same part: https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-p...nsion-for-kickback-and-kicker-assemblies.html. 14 bucks is better than 50, and could keep a couple of spares on hand?

The part # matches and I might just add one on my next PBL order just to have in case since I own a Rush and few other sterns which might use the same part. good_buddy if you want I can add one for you and even send it out your way as my work has a site in Beamsville off Ontario St. you can pick up. I will be placing order soon but will likely take 2 weeks or bit more to get to you.

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
The part # matches and I might just add one on my next PBL order just to have in case since I own a Rush and few other sterns which might use the same part. good_buddy if you want I can add one for you and even send it out your way as my work has a site in Beamsville off Ontario St. you can pick up. I will be placing order soon but will likely take 2 weeks or bit more to get to you.
That would be amazing mwong! Yes that is the correct part. $35 USD on Marco and out of stock. I tried Player one and they are saying Stern is out of stock as well. Let me know I can meet you anywhere in Beasmville and will PM you my home adress if you want to stop in for a pint and play some pinaball.

They covered warrantly for the failed node board 10 - send me a new node board and ramp motor, so I can't complain too much. I think their warranty is only 30 days on mechanical parts. Mine is over a year old now I think.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm going to try to glue it tonight to keep me going for a week or two. The break location makes is near impossible to get a dowel in there.

I really appreciate all the help!

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
After a good dozen hard games, this fix is still holding. I'm a bit suprised to be honest. Just wanted to share the feedback, as this is a cheap fix that only takes a few minutes and can save you a few bucks.

Attachments

• REPAIR.jpg
    REPAIR.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 10

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
Just an update - only got through about 20 hard games and it broke again. What's interesting is the glue held, the break is now further up the shaft. Not a permananent fix, but enough to get you up and running for a bit.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I'll be placing my order in this coming Friday and waiting for few other friends to get back to me for their stuff. I'll add one for you and might get few extra for me to have on hand in case mine breaks too.

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
Big thanks to Mike for helping me get a new plunger on the cheap!
Rush is now up and running and will be moved to its new home at Newark Brewing Co. in Beamsville in the next couple weeks....incase anyone wanted to play one in the wild.

Reactions: mwong168

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Sorry it took so long but that's how I save on shipping by sending to my friend's Port Huron address in MI and then once it gets into Canada then I mule it back through my work. I'm glad to hear your Rush is back up and running 100%. I ordered two of these extras to have in my parts stash just in case.