• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Rubbin' is Racin'

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
While I'm a racing fan, I don't follow NASCAR except the odd highlight reel (toilet bowl racing, yada, yada). So I catch the highlights of the second to last race a few weeks back where I see Jeff Gordon, former champion, intentionally take out Clint Boyer towards the end of the race. If that's not bad enough, Boyer was third overall in the championship, with a chance (albeit slight) to win the whole thing. The incident basically eliminated Boyer from the championship and a potentially lucrative payday. Gordon's "penalty"; a $100,000 fine and a loss of 25 championship points for a guy that earns $24 million a year, and who was out of the running for the championship already.

This has irked me so much that I feel I have to say something or risk bursting at the seams. It is ludicrous to think that this kind of behaviour is not only tolerated, but almost encouraged. NASCAR never seems to step in, feeling it is better that the drivers settle their scores on the track. This incident boiled over into the pits with a fight, described as "a mix of a demolition derby and a World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) brawl", while the fans cheered them on. Ridiculous! I'm not familiar with Gordon and Boyer's run-ins throughout the season; maybe Boyer had it coming to him, but to intentionally wreck him and eliminate his championship hopes is plain wrong.

These cars are made to be very safe to protect the drivers in a crash, but knowing this they seem to feel invincible and don't think twice about running into someone else all while travelling at 190 mph. Anyone remember Talladega in 2009 between Keselowski and Edwards? The ensuing crash sent Edwards into the crash fencing and debris into the stands. A dangerous, potentially fatal situation that ends with injured fans and Keselowki showboating after the race in celebration of his win.

Also remember Dale Sr. While there are other circumstances that led to his death, if I remember the incident started with Sr. trying to block a number of drivers to allow the leaders (including Jr.) to get ahead only to be bumped from behind, sending him into the wall and ending his life. This is going to escalate until someone else is seriously hurt or killed, driver and/or spectator.

There, I feel better now, although I know my rant will change nothing.