• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Price discussions

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Soooo...

The only people that seem to be bitching about pricing discussions are those that tend to over estimate the value of their machines. they are a tight knit group.

Where else would an uneducated pinball noob go to find out fair market value if not on a pinball discussion forum?? Certainly not on marketplace or Kijiji.

While I get the whole "no price shaming on ads" thing I don't get the bitching about discussing prices we see on marketplace or other selling sites. If the PinRev member hadn't stated it was HIS ad on marketplace then most folks wouldn't have known. I certainly didn't.

We are all entitled to an opinion and to discuss it in an open forum - albeit not directly in the ads.

In every forum for every hobby there is always a certain percentage of members that like to take advantage of unaware buyers. They are in it to turn it into some sort of quick money making scheme. Good for them. However this is the best place(discussion forums) to talk about that issue.

You want to screw a noob?? Fine. Do it on marketplace all you want but don't come here bitching about us discussing it.

//rant over//

Last edited:

Pharoah007

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
I've said it many times, high prices were the worst thing to ever happen to the "community" aspect of pinball.

High prices brought out the sharks, pirates and con artists, in the dozens.

It's approaching a decade where my pinball circle is small (reads under 10 people) who I would trust or even consider doing business with.

Halfwasted

Aug 10, 2016
Sudbury
I had well known active members of this community lie to me about a situation to get a better price on a pin they are selling.

I only buy NIB now and sell games. It is easier...

They are good people in pinball but a few ruin the experience.

GUARD

Sep 17, 2016
Guelph
Love this thread..... when I look at Pinside I still can't believe how many games I've sold (and bought another to fill that space of course) and I have ZERO concern about folks talking about my prices.

I find it sooooo funny some say you can't comment and yet they post the ad on "social" media....

Joker19

Aug 1, 2021
Gatineau
Love this thread..... when I look at Pinside I still can't believe how many games I've sold (and bought another to fill that space of course) and I have ZERO concern about folks talking about my prices.

I find it sooooo funny some say you can't comment and yet they post the ad on "social" media....
This ^

People are allowed to ask whatever they want; however, if you post on an open internet platform, people are also allowed to comment whatever they want.

In this market if you want/need to sell and the price is right, should be sold within a few days maybe a few weeks.

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
I consider myself a noob as I have only been in the hobby for 2 years. That being said I have bought a lot of machines over the past 2 years. I can tell you one thing; it is NOT the people that are new to the hobby that are gouging people, it is the veterans that are trying to exploit the noobs.
Unfortunately, this will really affect positive growth of the hobby/ community, as once you get burned by someone in the "community", it is difficult not to see the "community" in the same positive light. I find it ridiculous that while the veteran members should be calling out the bad apples, instead they are protecting them from being called out.

As a seller, I would welcome comments/ feedback as it would help me determine a fair price. As soon as I see an ad that has the comments turned off, I know, that the seller knows, that he is overpriced. So, as a noob, not only do I know not to buy it, but I make a note of that seller and I know to be weary/ not buy from him in the future.

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
For what it's worth I bought my first pin over 20 years ago and there were plenty of sharks pirates and con artists back then too. I miss r.g.p, zero censorship. I don't really consider PBRev an open internet platform, it is a forum with rules, don't like the rules, don't like the people making up the rules, think the rules are unfair or applied unfairly, post somewhere else I guess, start your own forum, make your own rules. An open debate on the subject is great too though I guess, if it makes people feel better cool.

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
Soooo...

The only people that seem to be bitching about pricing discussions are those that tend to over estimate the value of their machines. they are a tight knit group.

Where else would an uneducated pinball noob go to find out fair market value if not on a pinball discussion forum?? Certainly not on marketplace or Kijiji.

While I get the whole "no price shaming on ads" thing I don't get the bitching about discussing prices we see on marketplace or other selling sites. If the PinRev member hadn't stated it was HIS ad on marketplace then most folks wouldn't have known. I certainly didn't.

We are all entitled to an opinion and to discuss it in an open forum - albeit not directly in the ads.

In every forum for every hobby there is always a certain percentage of members that like to take advantage of unaware buyers. They are in it to turn it into some sort of quick money making scheme. Good for them. However this is the best place(discussion forums) to talk about that issue.

You want to screw a noob?? Fine. Do it on marketplace all you want but don't come here bitching about us discussing it.

//rant over//

Price gouging is easy to do in a thin closed market like Ontario or even Canada. Very little market information here and Pinside prices don't often translate because of higher sales taxes here and dated data. It's unfortunate because I have met people that have way overpaid for a pin with a theme they connected to only to find they will lose a lot of money to sell it.

Love to see any discussion that helps people on understanding pinball prices! I always appreciated all the help i got and still get from friends in the hobby.