• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

ANSWER Powder coating and plating

KelleyG

Oct 13, 2016
Caledon
Does anyone know of anywhere or someone that does valid quality powder coating or chrome/brass plating in Canada

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
My friend has used this place in Courtice called FlashFire coatings to get his pinball trim like lockdown, legs, hinges and side rails done.

b8862b79-d66d-4393-827e-162a88dc9e27.jpg

Reactions: Padre and KelleyG

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I'm not sure but based on their menu there I think they only do powder coating. I used a local place called Sun Polishing & Plating a few times many, many years ago. I think I had all this brass plated for around $225-250?

14350699454_0c1776cd54_c.jpg14371738733_d2bc024e0a_c.jpg14164967510_f64d7ca2d2_c.jpg14426929233_b3ac47cab7_c.jpg14351568875_14ce00cd54_c.jpg

I would trust and use them again for wire forms or large flat pieces with no detail like this sword from TOTAN. But for more detailed pieces like say a Shadow or STTNG shooter I would not because of all those small gaps that you would need to clean and sand by hand. Sun Polishing will not and just doesn't have the time to do this type of detailed prep work before coating. I think they just toss all your stuff in an acid bath to clean before coating. 85-90% of the work is in the prep and if your prep is crap then so will your results after plating.

The place to go to for this use to be Mike Chestnut who was the best and go to for pinball part plating but he passed away. This person and place called Pinball Plating has taken over. A few months after Mike's passing another user showed up claiming he uses same place as Chestnut did for plating. All this time everyone thought Chestnut did the plating but he only did the prep and then took it to a local place for the plating. Here is where you want to get your specific parts plated from like gun shooters and coin doors. I believe they offer swaps because they have inventory of stuff plated already and as long as your old one is in decent shape.

Reactions: Padre

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I think Allentown show is coming up and Pinball Plating might be there so you can arrange for swap at the show to save money and also not risk potentially losing your hard to replace pinball parts in the mail too.

Reactions: Padre

KelleyG

Oct 13, 2016
Caledon
Thank you. This helped a lot. It’s always terrible to hear of an artist tradesman passing. RIP.
I was trying to steer away from pinball plating. To save the shipping. Texas is always a great road trip

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Well Allentown is in Pennsylvania and lots of people from Ontario head down so someone could mule your parts there and back.

Reactions: KelleyG

KelleyG

Oct 13, 2016
Caledon
Good to know. Thank you for all the input. It’s more than helped. I want to try to contact myself. Now, to find the time to get down there.

KelleyG

Oct 13, 2016
Caledon
I'm not sure but based on their menu there I think they only do powder coating. I used a local place called Sun Polishing & Plating a few times many, many years ago. I think I had all this brass plated for around $225-250?

View attachment 26402View attachment 26403View attachment 26404View attachment 26405View attachment 26406

I would trust and use them again for wire forms or large flat pieces with no detail like this sword from TOTAN. But for more detailed pieces like say a Shadow or STTNG shooter I would not because of all those small gaps that you would need to clean and sand by hand. Sun Polishing will not and just doesn't have the time to do this type of detailed prep work before coating. I think they just toss all your stuff in an acid bath to clean before coating. 85-90% of the work is in the prep and if your prep is crap then so will your results after plating.

The place to go to for this use to be Mike Chestnut who was the best and go to for pinball part plating but he passed away. This person and place called Pinball Plating has taken over. A few months after Mike's passing another user showed up claiming he uses same place as Chestnut did for plating. All this time everyone thought Chestnut did the plating but he only did the prep and then took it to a local place for the plating. Here is where you want to get your specific parts plated from like gun shooters and coin doors. I believe they offer swaps because they have inventory of stuff plated already and as long as your old one is in decent shape.

Love the brass finish on the wire ramps. Would love to deck out my TBL with this

Padre

Apr 18, 2022
Toronto
I've used pinball plating there quick and do good work ,and fair priced shipping can be expensive,I also use the plating house in gta Mark ..very good prep work and triple plating but expensive and long waits

Reactions: KelleyG

KelleyG

Oct 13, 2016
Caledon
I've used pinball plating there quick and do good work ,and fair priced shipping can be expensive,I also use the plating house in gta Mark ..very good prep work and triple plating but expensive and long waits
Thank you for the reply. Do you have the contact info for Mark?