• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

FS PIN2DMD replacement colour LED DMDs - regular size, small DE displays - large SEGA displays

AlexRogan84

Dec 4, 2020
Guelph
Hi Dino,

Looking for help with one of your displays. It came with the Getaway I bought from Jim a month or so ago. Display wasn't always powering up with the game. Was also showing some odd images during gameplay, like portions of the animations were a little scrambled.

I wasn't worrying about it too much as I had the original DMD and wanted to put it back in anyway. I would like to circle back and get this colour display working though.

Nothing seems out of sorts in the backbox of the Getaway, nothing obvious anyway. The harness the display came with might have had one of the pins backing out slightly and this is about the only thing I found that didn't look right. That pin is ok now and reshrink wrapped.

I'm actually more interested in putting this display in my Lethal Weapon 3. Wanted to know how the power cables get hooked up though as it isn't clear from your website. I only have the one harness though, the one that came with the display for using on the Getaway. I can MacGyver my own harness if need be or get one from you if they are available. Let me know. I see a few posts ago how the LW3 screens look really nice.

Thanks, Jon in Guelph

Dino Z.

Apr 3, 2015
Pickering
www.cdnpin2dmd.ca
Hi Dino,

Looking for help with one of your displays. It came with the Getaway I bought from Jim a month or so ago. Display wasn't always powering up with the game. Was also showing some odd images during gameplay, like portions of the animations were a little scrambled.

Hi Jon,

Quite a few of these displays are now out in the wild and, besides yours, I've only had one other one that was problematic. I don't recall Jim telling me he had any issues with it but I could be mistaken as I've had a lot of conversations with many different people. If the display isn't powering up all the time, there could be a power supply issue with the pin itself. Could be a variety of things to be honest with you.

If you want to put this in LW3, you can either tap into the power at CN6, get an external power supply or I can build and mail you a harness for it. As much as I hate making them for DE games (because of the number of pins) it isn't a big issue. Even though I should be asking more, $10 will cover the cost for it. If you want a cable, send me a private message and we can sort you out.

Thanks.

pinballjah

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Hi Jon,

Quite a few of these displays are now out in the wild and, besides yours, I've only had one other one that was problematic. I don't recall Jim telling me he had any issues with it but I could be mistaken as I've had a lot of conversations with many different people. If the display isn't powering up all the time, there could be a power supply issue with the pin itself. Could be a variety of things to be honest with you.

If you want to put this in LW3, you can either tap into the power at CN6, get an external power supply or I can build and mail you a harness for it. As much as I hate making them for DE games (because of the number of pins) it isn't a big issue. Even though I should be asking more, $10 will cover the cost for it. If you want a cable, send me a private message and we can sort you out.

Thanks.
Never had a problem with the PIN2DMD in the Getaway. Worked very well. Hope it is a simple fix. Less than a year old. Thanks.

AlexRogan84

Dec 4, 2020
Guelph
Just sent you a PM Dino. Here's a picture of the little pin that might have backed itself out of the connector without me knowing it. I pulled it back a little farther in this photo just to emphasize which one it was.

Like I said in my message, I was trying to focus on getting the Supercharger working and so removing anything else suspect was why the colour display got taken out. Hopefully it was just this little pin that backed out. If it was, it should mean it would come back on great just by reinstalling the way it was. I may try doing that.PIN2DMD cable connector pin.jpg

Dino Z.

Apr 3, 2015
Pickering
www.cdnpin2dmd.ca
Just sent you a PM Dino. Here's a picture of the little pin that might have backed itself out of the connector without me knowing it. I pulled it back a little farther in this photo just to emphasize which one it was.

That will occasionally happen when I am assembling harnesses. The pin heats up and moves a bit inside the plastic. If I notice, I usually drop a bit of solder on the other side as a stopper. That being said, the pin in question is the 5v line. It is not used to power the display so it really shouldn't make a difference. You may not even have a wire on that pin on the original J116 connector but I have to add the wire to the harness just in case. The J116 connector usually powers stuff in the coin door so you shouldn't be seeing odd behaviour from the display. And in reality the display uses less than 5v to run.

You should be able to plug it back in and see if works. I don't see any harm in that. I will PM you about the LW3 harness.

AlexRogan84

Dec 4, 2020
Guelph
I'm finally getting around to trying the display in my LW3. And had a question on the install. My game has one of the secondary power boards that's mounted directly to the DMD. As Dino's instructions show, you carefully remove that secondary board and then reinstall it on the PIN2DMD display. Of the wiring that was coming directly from the CN6 connector, one of those plugged directly into the original DMD and then a smaller connector (labelled the 5V supply if I'm not mistaken) plugged into this secondary board. I get that the larger power supply connector is no longer used (because there is no longer anywhere for it to go) but I wasn't sure if I was to still keep using the 5V connector on the secondary board? I am guessing that I still need to use that one and it is only the larger connector from the old DMD board that gets tucked away unused. Can someone please confirm for me? Thanks.

Dino Z.

Apr 3, 2015
Pickering
www.cdnpin2dmd.ca
Yup, you need to power the driver board with the smaller connector. The big plug no longer needs to be used as you stated. Sorry I wasn't clear on that, just assumed people would leave it plugged in. I will clarify that in my instructions!

Thanks!

AlexRogan84

Dec 4, 2020
Guelph
Thanks. I figured as much but wanted to make sure. I got it powered up and while the PIN2DMD intro screen comes up nice, the game displays for Lethal Weapon are a little wonky. Like partly garbled and partly don't fit the screen quite right. I got the files from the site recommended on your instructions page and according to the readme.txt file included with the files, it is release 1.60.

Are there settings or dip switches on the back of the PIN2DMD display I should be double checking are in the correct positions? Or am I missing some kind of compatibility thing with the version of code in the LW3 itself perhaps?

Dino Z.

Apr 3, 2015
Pickering
www.cdnpin2dmd.ca
I don't have any real experience with LW3 to be honest with you. I have a friend that tested one display for me on his LW3 with the files and he said it seemed fine. If I recall correctly, he may have said there were a couple scenes that may not have been completed. He didn't say anything about anything being garbled or scenes that didn't fit the screen properly. I don't believe there are any settings that you can change on the display that will address issues such as those.

I did just send you an email with a set of files. In his readme on the website the author is referencing version 1.75 so perhaps these are newer. He is also pretty good at doing these so I'd be surprised if they aren't working. Would be great if you could post some video somewhere of the issues. I could try to reach out to him and see what he says.

Thanks.

AlexRogan84

Dec 4, 2020
Guelph
I went in and reset the display back to it's factory settings and all is well. Working as it should and the animations look really nice. Maybe that's all it was in the Getaway too, just some settings that got switched around. Not that I'm inclined to f$&k with it though now that it's working!!

Reactions: Dino Z.

Dino Z.

Apr 3, 2015
Pickering
www.cdnpin2dmd.ca
I went in and reset the display back to it's factory settings and all is well. Working as it should and the animations look really nice. Maybe that's all it was in the Getaway too, just some settings that got switched around. Not that I'm inclined to f$&k with it though now that it's working!!

I love it when a plan comes together! ;)

Thanks for the update!

a.stebel

Jul 7, 2014
Barrie
F7405EA1-F4ED-4B9C-9897-E5BD0856CC9C.jpeg 338F96CC-C2BB-491E-8DC3-19AE3282AF95.jpeg E1340B30-2782-4952-BF22-9F362EA559C3.jpeg F7405EA1-F4ED-4B9C-9897-E5BD0856CC9C.jpeg 338F96CC-C2BB-491E-8DC3-19AE3282AF95.jpeg Just wanted to say a big thank you to Dino. Just bought a total of 5 pin2dmd displays.

All are working perfectly, easy to install and make the games look so much better.

Upgraded the following games and the color files are extremely well done.
Star Trek the Next Generation
Fish Tales
Simpsons Pinball Party
World Poker Tour
Ripley’s Believe it or Not!

Reactions: Dino Z.