• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

FS PIN2DMD replacement colour LED DMDs - regular size, small DE displays - large SEGA displays

Pugster

Nov 7, 2019
Kelowna
I just sent another small donation to Martin and received the Theatre of Magic and Medieval Madness files for my real pins. When I get some time next week I will definitely shoot some video.

I can't wait till he is done Roadshow as that is one of my favorite games.

I’m super excited about this as well. I may even buy a display and just wait it out in the meantime...

pinballjah

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I believe Jim is good now! I think he is the third person to install one in a Getaway...
Thanks Dino. After blowing two fuses and then realizing I was putting in the power connector backwards, got it to work good. Only pain is making sure you have a mini SD card and an adapter to load the files. Also note, some of the links provided are to the virtual pinball files, which are different than the files needed for a physical pinball machine.

I would say the Getaway conversion is about 70% done. I have to say the PIN2DMDs are a lot sharper than the original DMDs so even without colour, they look way better and clearer.

pinballjah

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
is there ones for GNR

It is not fully complete yet. Think there is still a bit of work to be done on it. If you just want a much clearer and sharper display than the original DMD, the PIN2DMD is a good option. It does have a four color option built in which is still pretty good.

Dino Z.

Apr 3, 2015
Pickering
www.cdnpin2dmd.ca
Thanks for the review and feedback Jim! I'm working on adding information to a website as more of these get out to purchasers so there are less issues when installing them. I am posting photos and instructions so there isn't confusion when installing and setting them up.

You can find the website here: https://sites.google.com/view/pin2dmd/

Feel free to make suggestions and I will add content as necessary!

pinballjah

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Thanks for the review and feedback Jim! I'm working on adding information to a website as more of these get out to purchasers so there are less issues when installing them. I am posting photos and instructions so there isn't confusion when installing and setting them up.

You can find the website here: https://sites.google.com/view/pin2dmd/

Feel free to make suggestions and I will add content as necessary!

I think I got confused with the 12V notation on the front and thinking the black dot needed to line up with the 12V prong. Not realizing that the black dot needed to line up with the ground.

Also, if someone is replacing an original colordmd with a PIN2DMD, the cables that come with the colordmd cannot be used. The prongs on the connectors are much longer and will not fit in the PIN2DMD. You must use the cables provided by Dino.

Geteos

Feb 4, 2019
Toronto
Can't believe I didn't see this until today.

My Getaway DMD is getting kinda fuzzy, so this would be a great upgrade. Sent you a PM.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Very cool stuff! I saw a few of these in action at Nick's place the other day, and they look comparable to the ColorDMD LED panels, but cost a whole lot less. I like the open source nature of the colorizations too.

Reactions: Dino Z.

Dino Z.

Apr 3, 2015
Pickering
www.cdnpin2dmd.ca
Just an update on where things stand. I have finally received all the parts for the last 30 displays I had ordered. They are assembled and I am reaching out to folks on my waiting list to get those orders completed. I also ordered parts for an additional 50 displays. I anticipate that assembly will begin some time late next week as I am waiting for one last shipment. It's a slow process as I'm a one man shop and unfortunately have a real job to deal with.

At least I will have stock for a while so if you are interested, send me a private message.

Thanks!

Dino Z.

Apr 3, 2015
Pickering
www.cdnpin2dmd.ca
Did Metallica ever get sorted out?

Yes, it got sorted out. It requires a patched binary that uses the machine's serial number, some colour files and an extra serial cable. It's a bit more complicated and you need some additional software to patch the binary plus a donation to the author for the colour files.

If you want me to patch the binary and provide you with the files loaded onto a micro SD card plus the extra cable, it'll be about $30 more. And keep in mind that you will be updating the firmware on your game so you will lose all your scores and settings.

And because you are in PEI you will have some shipping charges (between $20 and $30).

PM me if you are interested.

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
Metallica is one of the best coloured games for PIN2DMD in my opinion... right on par with the ColorDMD version... again in my opinion.

Reactions: Dino Z.

Jedi4242

Apr 20, 2017
Prince Edward Island
Thanks for the info. How well does the panel rest into the backbox, as in do you need spacers, etc? And with Met, there are 2 styles of backbox, wood and metal (I have metal), any differences in installation? Definitely on my radar after I pay off a few other pinball purchases.

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
Thanks for the info. How well does the panel rest into the backbox, as in do you need spacers, etc? And with Met, there are 2 styles of backbox, wood and metal (I have metal), any differences in installation? Definitely on my radar after I pay off a few other pinball purchases.

I think Dino has tried it in a metal backbox, I had installed one on a wooden backbox without spacers without issue... not sure on the Metal ones though.