• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

On the topic of ADVERTISING...

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Hey all, I've always maintained that this as much YOUR site as it is MINE, so I'd like to get your feelings on advertising. I don't mean my advertising PBRev everywhere, but rather advertising on PBRev for related suppliers.

Now let me be up front here.. I hate, hate, HATE advertisements such as GOOGLE ads plastered all over websites. As long as this domain is registered under my name, you will never see this happen here. It detracts from the "focal point" of the site as far as I'm concerned. You couldn't pay me enough to allow it.

THAT SAID, since day one I've always thought it would be acceptable to have a small, rotating banner in the upper right corner of our screen advertising the wares of some of our favourite pinball supply vendors. I wouldn't charge for this space, this forum has never been about making money but rather aiding the community. It's an expensive hobby, so saving money where we can is important to us. That said, what I WOULD ask for in exchange for space on the banner is a PBRev member discount on their items. I'm not picky on how much we'd be entitled to save, every little bit helps.

This has always been on the back of my mind, and with the recent addition of Art from Comet LED's to our site I thought it might be prudent to pursue this idea further. We can ask vendors like Comet, Pinball Life, Starburst Parts.. heck, even ZIDWARE (discounts on swag?) :)

I'd never make a decision like this alone, so please... let me know your thoughts!

- Brock

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
Everything costs money . This site costs money .I see no reason why you should not have some pinball related ads on our site and if this gives us a discount all the better . We have a forum with almost 500 members that have a common interest "Pinball" and that has value to companies and businesses. So you have my blessing to move forward. Thanks Mike

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
luch said:
Everything costs money . This site costs money .I see no reason why you should not have some pinball related ads on our site and if this gives us a discount all the better . We have a forum with almost 500 members that have a common interest "Pinball" and that has value to companies and businesses. So you have my blessing to move forward. Thanks Mike

Well said Mike. We all understand that PBR was started for the good of the local pinball community Brock. You and several other members here have all gone above and beyond for it and we all thank you. However, I'm sure no one would fault you for adding some revenue to help support it. I for one have no issue with advertising that will allow hopefully support the forum and allow us to enjoy PBR for a very long time!

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
Haha thanks fellas I appreciate that, but that's not what I meant. :). What I mean is, would you be willing to allow a pinball-only banner at the top right of your screen in exchange for discounts on pin stuff? No revenue to be made here, it's not necessarynd not the point to it at all (the site doesn't cost a lot to run, I spend more on coffee per month)

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Brock, make money dude, don't need to tip toe. Put google ads up there and make some cash. buy that vbulletin.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
frolic said:
Brock, make money dude, don't need to tip toe Put google ads up there and make some cash. buy that vbulletin.

Nope not tiptoing at all. No google ads. Can't stand 'em. I have them Ad-Blocked on other sites.

Simply a tit for tat, ad space for discounts scenerio. Hell I wouldn't mind discounts on my parts either :D

I garner enough revenue from my parts sales (actually, big announcement coming soon regarding that)

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I've brought this idea up to Brock not long after he launched PBRev to help cover hosting and running costs for of the site. He didn't seem too concerned and said he spends more on his Grande Caffè Mochas in a day then it costs to keep PBREV up for a month. No need to clutter the site with annoying google ads that generate chump change.

Hopefully there is a clean and unintrusive way to integrate a rotating banner ad with only the pinball related vendors Brock chooses. I even suggested we give them each a sticky in the announcements section in the Classifieds section so they can promote their own new products and specials.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
When I was new to pinball, I had a tough time finding products. I'd do the regular google searches, find the regular big name suppliers, and pay the regular big costs.

Only through reading PBRev, and catching you pros comment on the different places to get stuff did I learn about some of these great suppliers.

I'd have no problem seeing pinball related adds, it really can help new members of the community find various products.

Even including video gaming sites would be cool. Like ultimarc or groovygamegear just to name a few. They have products that interest people in the community too

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
Luckydogg420 said:
I'd have no problem seeing pinball related adds, it really can help new members of the community find various products.

Even including video gaming sites would be cool. Like ultimarc or groovygamegear just to name a few. They have products that interest people in the community too

These are both good points, I never thought of it that way

Ok we're a go. We'll give it a shot. No harm in trying it out!

- B

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
Ads, you say?

burns.gif