• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Machines That Smell of Smoke

TrueJedi

Apr 20, 2017
Lindsay, ON
I get arcades use to be full of smoke back in the 80s, but curious today with the high value of pins do machines that are used in smoking environments get devalued and if so by how much? With a young family at home a machine in our basement smelling of smoke doesn’t work for us, but curious how the market interprets this condition. I see high praise on HUO, but rarely see any posts saying the machine is coming from a smoke free environment.

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
, most games pre 1999 especially the 1970 games all had smoke smell at one point , usually they can be aired out and cleaned to get rid of the smell

mcuzz

Apr 23, 2016
Georgetown
I would not expect someone to List that it smelled like smoke , but if I asked I would expect him to tell me whether it did or not .
Lots of people sell games at a premium price but stink like smoke, I’ve never seen one discounted for that reason.

Golden Graham

Nov 19, 2012
Essex, Ontario
I listed mine for sale (METLE and ACDC) and I believe I stated smoke-free.
I have nothing to hide and I want to arm potential buyers with all the information to enable them to make a fulfilling, confident purchase.

Reactions: Jeff K.

cuebert

Sep 7, 2018
Smithville
The smell of cigarette smoke can be cleaned. Generally light cleaning of the item should work but if the smell persists that usually means it's coming from heavily smoked in environment and you would need to get down to the boards/insides and start cleaning appropriately. Tar from cigarette smoke can build up (hence the persistent smell) and you don't need the extra grime on your electronics regardless.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I remember when I traded mu Wizard! To ToPEC they called me about the cabinet being smokey.
It was a former carnie machine. Before it was in the hotbox.
No more pins in the vaping room.
Side room, doors closed, seperate dehumidifier. Works very well.