• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Kijiji Sux

goodmanners

Jun 17, 2014
Mississauga
I think I am done with Kijiji......

There have been various posts about how there seems to only be junk for premium prices.

I am currently trying to sell something and the number of scams people use to try and get a deal or rip you off is amazing. Buyers must think that everyone who sells an item has listed it for thousands more than they will actually sell it for.

I listed my item for the price I wanted. Put price is firm in the listing. And I believe the item to be undervalued at my price point.

After sorting through the 100 emails asking me if I would take half my asking price there were 12 people who expressed interest in coming out and buying. The first person to come and look at it said they would come back later and gave me a deposit. I emailed the rest of the potential buyers and said - sorry sold.

Two weeks later after no communication with the first buyer (I sent 2 texts daily for 12 days) I relist the item.

Aaaaaand the first buyer emails me saying they were still interested.
Sooooooo I email back and say let me know when you are coming.

And they say - If you sell it for more money give me my deposit back.

WTactualF?

So I just sent an email saying "no". And I was even nice enough to say we still have a deal if you want to come pay me the rest of the money. But you committed to a deal and if you back out the price is your deposit.

Sigh.......

I don't know how people do it.

dnewman

Oct 29, 2013
Newmarket
Yeah... your supposed buyer is a little optimistic.

That said, in my opinion, Kijiji and Craigslist are a market of negotiation. You can list your price as 'firm' all you want, but people are on Kijiji & CL because they are looking to make a deal. The other side of the coin is sellers who believe they should get their original purchase price, tax included, for a now 'used' item.

If you want your price to be firm, just don't sell for a lower price.

fantasygoat

Apr 19, 2015
Toronto, ON
It's not even that the prices are mostly a ripoff, it's now that there's barely even anything on there anymore.

I think now the only way to get projects is to go to shows and buy them there.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
There's a big segment of dibs-callers out there on Kijiji--people who respond in the first few minutes of an ad popping up, say they want the machine, and just never follow up. I'm not sure the motivation there. Do they find something better that gets listed and forget? Does reality set in that they actually don't want the game? Or is it a mental disorder that motivates these people to be a first responder no matter condition, location or title of a game...just to ruin everyone else's chances of having a crack at it?

I have very few kijiji transactions under my belt...two if I'm recalling correctly...although I do check the site regularly. And I try to respond only if my intentions are sincere. The OP's experience is becoming commonplace.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

goodmanners

Jun 17, 2014
Mississauga
Yes it was a car. But the experience carries across everything that gets sold. From pinballs to cars to radios to computers.

I'm ok with negotiations. But why would th buyer, and about 100 others like them, offer me half/less than half of the asking price if I was firm on the price.

Now the guy is sending me emails all bent because I'm keeping his deposit. But he still won't communicate about the sale. He won't commit and say yes or no. Weird.

I always leave a deposit and communicate with the seller. Why would I leave a deposit if I wasn't going to buy?
And the crappy part is I probably missed a legit sale from the other dozen who called after.

So now I still have the car sitting in my driveway taking up space. Lol.
Yes it was a car. That's why I posted in the Off-Topic forum. But Again I don't think it matters what you are selling on Kijiji you get the same thing.

Luch you were the only one who emailed asking if it was a pinball machine. You didn't miss a deal - no worries.

Reactions: spiroagnew

Uberhare

Apr 13, 2013
Kitchener, Ontario
Last time I sold a car on Kijiji, had a guy call me everyday from Sun to Fri asking if it was sold yet. Apparently he couldn't make it till Friday and really wanted it. My ad said the price and "FIRM" and I confirmed that each time he called. He calls me on Friday, halfway to my place telling me he only brought cash for half my asking price. I hold him there was no point in coming then. since it was already a cheap - no b.s. price. He then tried to lecture me about how I wasted his time and strung him along all week. Hung up on him in the end. Plenty of nice people on Kijiji, but plenty of losers too.

dnewman

Oct 29, 2013
Newmarket
Now the guy is sending me emails all bent because I'm keeping his deposit.

I've got no problem with that! As you suggested, the deposit is there to compensate you for any lost potential buyers should he decline to buy. If he still wants to buy, come bring the rest of the cash.

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
Lets see, cars for sale.... People like to trade stuff, but I find cash works the best. I have been offered skidoos and such and one guy wanted to trade a '85 Pontiac Acadian recently, it was mint, but its a freaking Chevet and a 4 door to boot. I'm selling an old muscle car soon, that will be entertaining.