• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Jungle lord trouble locating parts

Rob brown

Apr 23, 2015
Owen sound
Hi, I'm having a few issues with my Junglelord machine and the first one seems like it is coming from this connector. I'm planning on buying a new pin connector to replace it but not really sure what size this is or what to search for. Any help?

1647999889831.png

Also on the top level the lower ball kicker stopped working. Does anyone know what type or size of coil it takes?

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
The connector appears to be a Molex 0.156.
A similar post can be found here:
I bought many Molex pins & connectors from Great Plains Electronics in the past, great parts & service.

With regards to the lower ball kicker, the issue is unlikely to be the coil itself.
Probably more with its drive or its switch detection, e.g. either its switch is not detected or is misadjusted,
there is a broken wire, bad connector/pin/crimp, cold solder joint on driver board (header) or a bad drive transistor.
To help pinpoint the issue for this, you can go in switch test and solenoid test and see what is not detected or not working.
The game manual has instructions on how to enter these test modes.
UPDATE: 'lower ball kicker' - is this the outhole? If so, make sure there are two balls and that they are detected by the switches.
Are the drop targets resetting at game start? If no solenoids work, could also be a shorted drive transistor, burned coil and/or burned 2.5A solenoid fuse.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fifty

Rob brown

Apr 23, 2015
Owen sound
Hey thanks for the help. I've ordered from Great Plains before and I agree they're great! I know that connector for the flipper is bad, its always been a bit flakey and would work if the wire was jiggled. I dont think its making a connection to the pin anymore.

For the lower Ball kicker on the upper playfield; I visually looked things over and there didn't seem to be anything loose. It looks pretty similar to the other coil mechanism above it and the wiring looks ok. The switch test was fine , for the solenoid test # 7 didn't do anything . # 7 says "lower Eject Hole" in the manual.
There are two balls in the machine and the drop targets all work. I replaced the fuse to be sure too. The high voltage fuse is actually removed. I had to replace the display with a rottendog led one at one point.

To be honest I didn't know with a drive transistor is but I googled it and did a continuity test on them with a multimeter and they look ok. Thanks lol at least I learned something new here. One problem I have is I'm not 100% sure where it connects to the Board . Is it worth replacing this connector too?

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
The game Instruction Booklet has a table of those solenoids, connectors and drive transistors.
For Solenoid 07 Lower Eject Hole, the associated drive transistor is Q27 and connector is 8P3 pin 7:
1648118034055.png

I use a small trick to identify the location of a non-working coil's issue by:
- Using the game manual, identify where the suspect drive transistor is physically located (Q27 here);
- with the game on, use an alligator clip and connect one end of the clip on the ground braid.
- with the other end of the alligator clip, briefly touch the metal tab of Q27 very quickly (for less than a second).
- Did the coil operate?
- If yes, then the issue is with the drive transistor Q27 or upstream electronics on the driver board;
- If no, then the issue is with the driver board connector for this coil (8P3 pin 7), cold solder joint
under the driver board for this header male pin, or wiring to the coil (rarely the coil itself).

Last edited:

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I had the same problem on my F-14. Different system, but same problem. The issue was the transistor. 9 times out of 10 I find it's the transistor. Try the alligator test Sylvain suggests first. It'll save you a ton of time narrowing down the issue.

Hi, I'm having a few issues with my Junglelord machine and the first one seems like it is coming from this connector. I'm planning on buying a new pin connector to replace it but not really sure what size this is or what to search for. Any help?

View attachment 22268

Also on the top level the lower ball kicker stopped working. Does anyone know what type or size of coil it takes?
those are molex IDC .156 connectors and in most cases i would recommend upgrading them to the molex KK series with Trifurcon pins as they will out last anything else. there is so many of these parts being obsoleted lately so if you can't find something let me know as i may have it since i have a ton of obsolete parts for pinball and arcade games.