• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Godzilla

Flipper Ripper

Nov 16, 2020
Windsor
Yes the original invoice was transparent and had the USD total with the exchange rate at the time 1.35

The new one just has a Canadian total which should be $11,970. However, it is thousands more than that. They didn't even indicate the exchange rate. When questioned, P1 said they are charging more now because of COVID, which made freight charges more expensive. Very shady to be transparent in the original signed invoice and then hide all these extra upcharges hoping the customer wouldn't notice or question it and then come up with some BS excuse. What P1 doesn't know is my friend is my future business partner in an arcade we are starting in Windsor. We were approved for a business loan and have over $125,000 allocated for machines alone for start-up and that number will most likely grow. So because of their shady business, they lost us as customers. We also found a new distributor in Michigan, and they don't even know we are starting a business and they are super friendly, with no up charges, and on top of that, they were offering us machines below MSRP. It just hurts sending all that money to a different country, but integrity is important to us. Also had conversations with the worker at P1 who said he hates dealing with home buyers and hates that they make money on flipping machines don't know why he ranted that to me, as I don't care what people do with their purchases. Seems like they wanted a piece of that pie and looks like they found a way to sneak in extra costs hoping customer won't notice.

Last edited:

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Didn't JJP increase the price of GNR by $1000 after a certain date bought? Isn't the point of paying a deposit lock you in for the agreed upon price at the time?
Tell that to JJP or Stern.... Distros won't start selling at a loss. The markup is minimal.

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Yes the original invoice was transparent and had the USD total with the exchange rate at the time 1.35

The new one just has a Canadian total which should be $11,970. However, it is thousands more than that. They didn't even indicate the exchange rate. When questioned, P1 said they are charging more now because of COVID, which made freight charges more expensive. Very shady to be transparent in the original signed invoice and then hide all these extra upcharges hoping the customer wouldn't notice or question it and then come up with some BS excuse. What P1 doesn't know is my friend is my future business partner in an arcade we are starting in Windsor. We were approved for a business loan and have over $125,000 allocated for machines alone for start-up and that number will most likely grow. So because of their shady business, they lost us as customers. We also found a new distributor in the states (Game Room Guys) and they don't even know we are starting a business and they are super friendly, with no up charges, and on top of that, they were offering us machines below MSRP. It just hurts sending all that money to a different country, but integrity is important to us. Also had conversations with the worker at P1 who said he hates dealing with home buyers and hates that they make money on flipping machines don't know why he ranted that to me, as I don't care what people do with their purchases. Seems like they wanted a piece of that pie and looks like they found a way to sneak in extra costs hoping customer won't notice.
While it certainly seems shady, I don't understand why you guys weren't upfront as well. Why didn't you set up a business account with P1?

All that being said I'd be curious to know how your final costs tally up, especially with transport and brokerage fees.

BTW I have never had any such issues with P1 in Montreal, other than the final invoice never shows the exchange rate, just the CAD cost. I haven't had hidden costs however.

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Didn't JJP increase the price of GNR by $1000 after a certain date bought? Isn't the point of paying a deposit lock you in for the agreed upon price at the time?
Yeah, that was my first thought as well which is why you’d really need to see the final invoice, right?
If the game is still listed as $9500 usd and then there’s additional charges for delivery and shipping, then it could be closer to $10,500 usd equivalent. But if it’s $10,500 usd now and on top of that there’s shipping and delivery, that’s a different scenario that buyer should be discussing with P1 salesperson.

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Even if their costs change... if they agree to a price, that's it. Raising a price after an agreement has been reached is shady as hell.
Unless it’s explained that the cost of the game is msrp + shipping from the factory. If that shipping charge is a variable cost, then it’s not really shady. P1 could instead start charging everyone a flat rate and pocket the difference. To me, that would be shady! (Depending what they charged, of course)
I think it’s a tough scenario for P1 since sometimes they send a truck down for just a few pins. They’re not going to eat a loss for us and from what I understand there’s not that big a markup on these. Just my opinion of course. People shouldn’t buy if they don’t trust their distrib!

DarthFedor

Mar 8, 2020
Kincardine
Unless it’s explained that the cost of the game is msrp + shipping from the factory. If that shipping charge is a variable cost, then it’s not really shady. P1 could instead start charging everyone a flat rate and pocket the difference. To me, that would be shady! (Depending what they charged, of course)
I think it’s a tough scenario for P1 since sometimes they send a truck down for just a few pins. They’re not going to eat a loss for us and from what I understand there’s not that big a markup on these. Just my opinion of course. People shouldn’t buy if they don’t trust their distrib!

I thought P1 is the only distrib in Ontario, at least for stern? I heard Nitro won't sell sterns to Ontario because that's P1 region? That's what I heard anyway. But if that is the case, people in Ontario are stuck going through P1.

Smokezz

Apr 29, 2019
Kingsville, ON

That's definitely not what they say. A GnR is 10.5k USD + shipping to MY location if I want it shipped or delivered (the new price, not the old 9500USD price). There is nothing about shipping from the factory being in there.

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
That's definitely not what they say. A GnR is 10.5k USD + shipping to MY location if I want it shipped or delivered (the new price, not the old 9500USD price). There is nothing about shipping from the factory being in there.
In that case, if they change the price on you, I would suggest speaking with your sales rep.
Price changes have not been my experience and I’ve been buying from them pretty regularly for somewhere around 7 years?

Smokezz

Apr 29, 2019
Kingsville, ON
In that case, if they change the price on you, I would suggest speaking with your sales rep.
Price changes have not been my experience and I’ve been buying from them pretty regularly for somewhere around 7 years?

Oh, they haven't done that to me either. I'm just replying with my thoughts on price changes. If they happen, that's just wrong.

Reactions: Chambahz

dos.reboot

Nov 19, 2012
Windsor. ON.
Might want to delete that post with the US distributors name. They'll get their distro pulled by Stern if they find out they're selling to Canada.

dos.reboot

Nov 19, 2012
Windsor. ON.
This is how P1 quotes for upcoming pins now. Stern to P1 shipping cost is TBD.

"Godzilla Premium - $8899.00 US (US/Cdn exchange + freight from factory to our Mississauga warehouse TBD once game arrives in our warehouse)

+ delivery, if needed

+ HST (13%)"

Reactions: Chambahz

Ponzie

Oct 3, 2017
Ottawa
I have purchased within the last year from both Nitro (JJP GnR) and P1 (JP and Mando) and have had good experiences with both Tommy and Jerry respectively.
Never had anything funny happen in way of pricing and the way @dos.reboot describes the quotes above is exactly my experience as well.

My only observation (which may have changed from my last purchases) was that Nitro just charges everything in USD and P1 asks if you want CAD or USD (but you need to stick with one from the deposit through to the final purchase. You can’t switch.)

Personally, I’m a fan of competition and wish Canada had two national distributors (there’s certainly enough demand) but I haven’t ever experienced anything shady or bad.
Distributor margins are pretty thin so I’m sure they’re under pressure to make a buck any way they can.

Oh, and Godzilla looks pretty freaking cool.
Can’t wait to play it when someone I know buys a premium or LE…

Reactions: Perry L

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
I have purchased within the last year from both Nitro (JJP GnR) and P1 (JP and Mando) and have had good experiences with both Tommy and Jerry respectively.
Never had anything funny happen in way of pricing and the way @dos.reboot describes the quotes above is exactly my experience as well.

My only observation (which may have changed from my last purchases) was that Nitro just charges everything in USD and P1 asks if you want CAD or USD (but you need to stick with one from the deposit through to the final purchase. You can’t switch.)

Personally, I’m a fan of competition and wish Canada had two national distributors (there’s certainly enough demand) but I haven’t ever experienced anything shady or bad.
Distributor margins are pretty thin so I’m sure they’re under pressure to make a buck any way they can.

Oh, and Godzilla looks pretty freaking cool.
Can’t wait to play it when someone I know buys a premium or LE…

I would prefer paying USD for anything coming from the US - I always buy my USD when rates are good (~$1.24 recently).