• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

SOLD Deadpool Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Games played is definitely relavent. Much like the KM on your. Car. It’s an indication of how much closer you are to having breakdowns and signs of wear appearing. Just like a used car, it may be working fine today, but a broken part and rust is loaning in the future. The same is true for pins, they wear and they break down and the more a steel ball bounces around the playfield the more damage it creates, just not always obvious at a glance. Still a nice looking pin from what I can see, but there is signs of shooter lane wear and game count is higher than I would be looking for. I am sure a buyer will come for it. GLWYS.
While a pinball machine will wear out eventually, you're way offside on this one. (and even once it does start to age, what are we talking? a flipper rebuild? New rubbers?) Play field condition is king because that's the thing that's near impossible to fix unless you spend big $$$.

There's a Pinside thread with some great information (who knew?) that confirms what I've been saying:

Here's a Stern Metallica with over 11,000 plays.

Here's a Stern Star Trek with over 35,000 plays.

Seriously. If you're somewhat OCD about the condition of your pinball machine like me, buy a Cliffy for the shooter lane. Or don't even.

LOCK-IS-LIT

Jan 5, 2022
SWO
It’s a good read to see how various opinion on the matter are, and I especially like the genius comment about how his wife has considered him used after 200 plays! At the end of the day we all place different values on different items based on its aspects and condition. For the same reason one person is willing to pay more (or less) than another for any item based on its comparison to another similar item. For me at the end of the day game count is important and for others not so much. It’s why people have varying opinions on everything and that makes the economy go around.

Last edited:

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
It’s a good read to see how various opinion on the matter are, and I especially like the genius comment about how his wife has considered him used after 200 plays! At the end of the day we all place different values on different items based on its aspects and condition. For the same reason one person is willing to pay more (or less) than another for any item based on its comparison to another similar item. For me at the end of the day game count is important and for others not so much. It’s why people have varying opinions on everything and that makes the economy go around.
There’s no need to continue this conversation, really. Everyone has an opinion on just about everything and at least half of them are just plain incorrect.
It’s like me saying that in my opinion, the earth is flat. Sorry this isn’t the game for you. Good luck with your search.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Let me help put a different perspective from a something we should all be able to see eye to eye on... a monetary stand point.

If you could get a new in box Deadpool Premium from Player One Amusements today it will cost you:

$12,799cdn + HST = $14,462.87cdn

The seller added these to his current machine:

Katana side rails which cost $299usd plus shipping. Assuming you don't get dinged at border with taxes you are out about $440-450cdn.

Tilt artblades which cost $82.50usd plus shipping again about ~$130-140cdn.

So if I was in the market for a Deadpool I would rationalize the purchase by first asking if seller still has the original side rails because I don't care for the Katana side rails. They do look nice but if I can get $300cdn for them, put back original side rails and now game becomes $13,700cdn. If you factor in the artblades which I do on all my games now I see this game as $13,600cdn. Maybe I would try and see if I could get seller to knock $100-200 off and now we are at $13,400-$13,500. Now I am saving almost $1000 and have to just accept whatever minor wear might be in the shooter lane which otherwise would have formed if I was the original new in box owner. My friend bought a Deadpool Pro last year and by the 20th play he had a huge chip in his shooter lane which is why I always try to have Cliffies on hand before I get my game because he takes a while to fulfill orders. I'm still waiting for my last Cliffy order from Feb 17th!

It's funny how quickly we all have become desensitized with pinball pricing today. Within 30 secs of Stern dropping that Foo Fighters trailer I think I already had started my email to Jerry to put me on the list before even asking about pricing! When I got into this hobby in 2010 I use to cringe seeing a $2500 beat up Theatre of Magic or $3000 average Twilight Zone but now I wish I could see more of these pop up!

Murphelman

Jul 19, 2017
Ottawa
www.twitch.tv
Number of plays is the most ridiculous meaningless measure of conditon. Under 1,000 plays is not a lot of plays either. I NEVER ask about the amount of plays on a game. If a game is maintained regularly and properly, the amount of plays doesn't matter.

A game at a weekend pinball show is going to get about 600 plays in 2 days just tonput things in persepctive.

I have seen a routed Iron Man with over 100k plays that still looks and plays great.

Stop shaming people for playing thier games. That's what they are there for. Shame them for not maintaining them properly, not for doing the exact thing they were intended for.

Games don't expire after a certain number of plays. They are not the same as cars. Keep the game well maintained and clean and it will stay that way for years. They don't just magically die at a certain number of plays.

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
Absolutely without a doubt play count matters 100% especially with how Stern and other distributors are using cheaper parts. I know people who own barcades in Quebec and Southern Ontario who currently have games broken on location due to the amount of plays. These games have been broken since prior to the pandemic and they are still waiting for parts. They both said to me if I kept this at home where I play much less, the part would not have broken. You have to think of all the cheap parts the manufacturers are using not only above the playfield, but below the play field as well as even my technician said some switches Stern now uses don’t last for a crazy amount of plays. He said the more plays you have the more risk you run in to breaking things. So I’m hearing it from both operators and techs.

Last edited:
Reactions: KING BLING !

MoPin

Mar 2, 2021
TO
Anyone that says count does not matter needs to give their head a shake. It’s the number 1 question all buyers ask so it clearly matters. If it don’t then my buddy has a 400,000 km Camry he needs to sell you. Everything breaks and every thing wears, sounds like some of you just are not as meticulous as other. Lower plays naturally means a better value. If you disagree give your head a second shake. :)

Reactions: KING BLING !

tom_454

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
Play count is only one metric to consider. Is 100 plays worse than 50 plays? 929 plays is a low number all things considered. Is there much difference in any HUO game with less than 1000 plays? Now if we are talking 5000 games vs 1000 games then maybe. Stern does have some QC issues but those are always going to be there (poor clear coat doesn’t get better over time but cheap coil stops can easily be replaced). Condition really is king.

My HUO Tron LE had wear on the chrome lockdown bar when I bought it and it had 90 plays. Stern used the cheapest, thinnest chrome plating I have ever seen. Confirmed numbers as I delivered it to the first owners basement right of the truck from Player1 and delievered it to my basement a few months later with 110 plays. Today it has a little under 3k plays and looks exactly like it did (other than a few tasteful mods) when I got it.

My only advice is to not rule out a HUO game solely because of number of plays. Look at the pictures and if you can check it out in person. Inspect it for potential issues. I mean one unlucky airball on the first game can break a sling plastic - that doesn’t mean the game is a POS. Good luck in your search.

tom_454

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
Well at 5000 games you say then it’s already 20% there so count matters.
absolutely it does, however, if it is the only metric you use when buying and selling then it makes for quick/easy shopping.

I just traded in my 6 year old Ford with 110k on it. Beautiful vehicle to drive and great features. Why? Well Ford has issues with the Cam Phasers and the motor needed a $6k motor job a few months after the warranty expired and Ford would do nothing. I was pissed. Of all the vehicles I have ever owned this one was babied the most and was absolutely mint inside and out (ok small rub on the side from a hit and run). Traded that POS last week. Someone only looking at the mileage is going to get a good deal based upon the nice clean unsoiled leather seats and good looks right?

Meanwhile my friends used 2010 Toyota Matrix (4th hand) with 220k runs like a top, has no rust and other than the red paint has slightly faded looks pretty decent as well. And it gets him from A to B. Do you buyer to player or look at ‘em?

So again play count is a metric, so is shooter lane wear, so are lots of things. So make sure to look at ALL the things that are important to you. If the only thing that is important to you is play counts less than a few hundred then you might as well buy NIB as used prices on those games are only a few hundred less. Even Allentown show specials were only $250 off list price for floor models with greater than 500 plays on them.

Saltimbanco

May 24, 2020
National Capital Region
Girlfriend says we're all a bunch of drama queens talking about our expensive toys and how many times we played it, lol. Last time I brought in an older game, she just said 'Wow, it looks new!' and started playing it. She didn't ask about anything else.

Check out the game before buying it, don't hesitate to look under the hood (yes, do!), ask questions and play it. If you feel it's been well maintained, if it looks great, then the number of games played is only but ONE of MANY factors when buying a pinball, imho.

GLWS, nice looking game!

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
Why is it no one asks how many plays an older game has on it? DMD or pre-DMD? Because the number of plays don’t matter it’s the condition that matters. That said, if number of plays gives you a false sense of security and makes you happy then ask away… if you offer less for someone’s game based on the number of plays and not the condition then you have lazy negotiation skills.

Reactions: kool1 and Joker19

MoPin

Mar 2, 2021
TO
Why is it no one asks how many plays an older game has on it? DMD or pre-DMD? Because the number of plays don’t matter it’s the condition that matters. That said, if number of plays gives you a false sense of security and makes you happy then ask away… if you offer less for someone’s game based on the number of plays and not the condition then you have lazy negotiation skills.
Simple Answer is they can be reset. So it does not tell you much. This is why Stern made no longer possible to reset the lifetime plays. People can get an honest answer this way.

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Some of you monkeys are suggesting that # of games played indicates the lifespan of a game.
So by your “thought process” (and I use that term VERY loosely), a multiball-heavy game like AC/DC set to 5 ball play with free balls scored every twenty thousand points and inlanes all the way in, owned by Keith Elwin is comparable to a game like IronMan on 3 ball setup, no resets, outlane posts removed, in the home of a first-time pin buyer who frequently resets games after a bad start?

Anyone who’s currently nodding their head can eat a bag of dicks.

“Games played” is such a variable that it’s absolutely useless.
Check the playfield for wear. Check the ramps for cracks. Check magnets for mushrooming. Check the in-lane cut-outs for slivering/wear, check the shooter lane for wear. Look under the play field if you want. Or god forbid: PLAY THE GAME ITSELF!
Anything else can be replaced without much effort or hassle. Playfield damage gets discounted because it’s permanent unless you swap a playfield which is not something most can do or will make the effort.

MoPin

Mar 2, 2021
TO
Not sure it’s a good idea for a seller (or anyone) to call their potential buyers monkeys or to tell them to “suck a bag of ducks” Not the best approach to getting a game sold IMO. Whether you agree or don’t agree it’s only your opinion and it won’t also be agreeable with other point of view. Insulting people not such a good idea. GLWS.

MoPin

Mar 2, 2021
TO
Some of you monkeys are suggesting that # of games played indicates the lifespan of a game.
So by your “thought process” (and I use that term VERY loosely), a multiball-heavy game like AC/DC set to 5 ball play with free balls scored every twenty thousand points and inlanes all the way in, owned by Keith Elwin is comparable to a game like IronMan on 3 ball setup, no resets, outlane posts removed, in the home of a first-time pin buyer who frequently resets games after a bad start?

Anyone who’s currently nodding their head can eat a bag of dicks.

“Games played” is such a variable that it’s absolutely useless.
Check the playfield for wear. Check the ramps for cracks. Check magnets for mushrooming. Check the in-lane cut-outs for slivering/wear, check the shooter lane for wear. Look under the play field if you want. Or god forbid: PLAY THE GAME ITSELF!
Anything else can be replaced without much effort or hassle. Playfield damage gets discounted because it’s permanent unless you swap a playfield which is not something most can do or will make the effort.
Not sure it’s a good idea for a seller (or anyone) to call their potential buyers monkeys or to tell them to “suck a bag of ducks” Not the best approach to getting a game sold IMO. Whether you agree or don’t agree it’s only your opinion and it won’t also be agreeable with other point of view. Insulting people not such a good idea. GLWS.

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Not sure it’s a good idea for a seller (or anyone) to call their potential buyers monkeys or to tell them to “suck a bag of ducks” Not the best approach to getting a game sold IMO. Whether you agree or don’t agree it’s only your opinion. Insulting g people not such a good idea. GLWS.
To be clear, I said "dicks", not "ducks".

Status
Not open for further replies.