• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Data East Switch Matrix Problems

John Price

May 31, 2020
Tottenham ON
I took out the playfield to install side art. When I put it back in it machine boots up but wouldn't start & only one of the switches registers in diagnostics. What happened? help!

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
I took out the playfield to install side art. When I put it back in it machine boots up but wouldn't start & only one of the switches registers in diagnostics. What happened? help!

You broke it.

Seriously though, it’s obviously something you did. We can’t troubleshoot for you in this case. You have to go over everything you did when you removed and then installed the playfield. Sounds like you missed a connector or 2. Or connected them in the wrong place.

John Price

May 31, 2020
Tottenham ON
Broke it I did. Pretty sure I did the connectors properly. The switch matrix is completely dead. I'm thinking something let go on the MPU when I touched the board. I know there is a guy in Midland that can bench test the MPU. Can anyone help me find him?

Fleetwood mIkea

Sep 13, 2017
Milton
Hey Luch, Is that an email address?

Brent’s contact info is:
tommy.pinball@gmail.com

….or contact here via PM - @luch was referring to his PinRev name.

As an aside, I’ve done silly things like reattach a connector 1 pin off, and only found it after physically touching each and every one, even though they looked proper on visual inspection.
Also, make sure you have credits or have reset it to Free Play if you removed the batteries at any point. Been there, done that.

This is a great resource as well that may help you troubleshoot a bit in the future.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: