• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

CRT won't stay on

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I have a 27" CRT in my MAME cabinet (old TV) that won't stay on anymore. I just tried it, and it stayed on for maybe a minute, and then sort of buzzed, flickered, and then powered off, and will not power back on. I'm assuming that something is overheating (maybe one of the capacitors), and I'm not sure if it's even worth trying to fix. That being said though, I would like to get it back to working, so it's either repair or replace. I'm also not sure I want to open up a monitor any more than I already have. Pinball electronics I can deal with, but those caps have some pretty serious juice in them. Anything obvious to check?

There are a few possibilities for replacement on Kijiji too. See what's out there. Challenge is really getting something that will fit in a 27" hole. I'd rather not have to cut the sides off another TV (or re-build the cabinet).

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Ended up just replacing it with another CRT I got for free on Kijiji last night. Needed to cut down the TV case a little, but it fits nicely. The last one lasted 14 years, so hopefully this one will too? I was actually surprised at how many CRTs were still out there for grabs. I figured most would have gotten rid of them by now, although a few people have caught on and are trying to pitch them at retrogamers.

20220506_201530.jpg

20220507_095843.jpg
20220507_104522.jpg