• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Xbox One/PS4-anyone buying into another console generation?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Re: Xbox One/PS4-anyone buying into another console generati

I think I'll most likely skip this generation and go back to PC Gaming.

What valve is trying to do seems allot more innovative that anything Sony or Microsoft is doing.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener

Vengeance said:

Unless you want an exclusive title, then this is a great plan.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON

Luckydogg420 said:
Vengeance said:

Unless you want an exclusive title, then this is a great plan.

The one exclusive I'm mildly interested in is Infamous Second son, I could care less about the Uncharted series.

A new God of War might convince me to get a PS4, unless it's more like the last one. GOWIII was epic, but the last one was pretty meh.

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON

PS3 was a passing fancy for some adults who were more enthusiastic about it than the kids they bought it for, but kids around here jumped wholehearted into Xbox 360 for the bulk of their online gaming experience and connectivity (my kids still go outside to play, but most of their friends don't). They either play together online, or rove from house to house as each parent lets them play for an hour and kicks them out again. The Xbox Kinect was a Christmas diversion and occasional dance-off spawned by over enthusiastic parents. Otherwise it collects dust. No kid would get caught dead letting their parents hear them communicate out loud with the Kinect, headphones and microphones are the thing. They could care less about voice and arm flailing commands.

The Wii was good for a bit while they were younger, and probably better in a house with girls, but around here, if you don't play COD Zombies or that horrid GTA series on an XBox360, then you don't play.

Amongst the 13-something boy crowd around here and my house, Xbox 360 is still the thing, almost no relative interest or knowledge of Xbox One, they haven't seen enough "progress" to understand why or if it is any better. The lack of backwards compatibility is a killer.

For some parents, including some "techies" like me that use Microsoft and OTA HD TV there was "some" promise of perhaps being able to convert to a nice integration of media and gaming, but really, Microsoft hasn't put any effort into figuring out how to cater to the Canadian media market. (And except for the hackneyed efforts of the cable industry, the whole VOD / Online Movie Rental scene is just RIPE for picking right now.)

Unless you're childless or a younger gaming fanatic parent, I don't think either system has that much exciting appeal. Maybe I'm too jaded now (but I do like console gaming).

I personally predict that neither platform will perform all that well in the marketplace.