• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Xbox One/PS4-anyone buying into another console generation?

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Looks like preorders for both are up now: Ps4 at 399, XB1 at 499. I know that I'll be in for one for sure, but not sure which will win out in the long run. I used my 360 almost exclusively this time around, and I've managed to get some good deals on Xbox stuff from friends who work at Microsoft, but it's really going to come down to the exclusives.

Of course, the easy solution right now is to preorder both. That way, no need to decide whether to keep one, the other, or both until November :)

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Re: Xbox One/PS4-anyone buying into another console generati

video game consoles are so 1990s! Let's get back to pinball... errrr...

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com

I'll be sticking with Xbox. Exclusives are pretty slim these days, but I can't STAND Sony's controller and they refuse to change the design, so.. Xbox it is. Also M$ offers a MUCH better online experience, IMO.

The only reason I own a PS3 is to play BR movies (it was the cheapest BR player option at the time)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

I have no horse in this race as I could care less about console gaming the past 12 years, but based on what I've read about all the BS that MS is doing with the "licensing" and pay-to-play scheme is just downright wrong. Hopefully Sony gets it right and doesn't pull the same crap that MS is, because it will be a slam dunk winner for them if they don't.

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON

Menace said:
I have no horse in this race as I could care less about console gaming the past 12 years, but based on what I've read about all the BS that MS is doing with the "licensing" and pay-to-play scheme is just downright wrong. Hopefully Sony gets it right and doesn't pull the same crap that MS is, because it will be a slam dunk winner for them if they don't.

D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kWSIFh8ICaA[/youtube]

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real

Most likely going with the new xbox, but will wait for launch game reviews.
No need to be a super early adopter, launch games usually suck with the good stuff coming 2+ years after launch.

MS online experience is far superior to sony's. This will most likely continue next gen.

I've been on xbox live for 7 years and bought a PS3 a few years ago.
PS3 mostly collects dust. I like to play online and sony has really sucked at online matchmaking.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON

So far it sounds like Microsoft is trying to come up with a systemic approach to the whole thing, and Sony is telling publishers "do whatever you want". We'll see how that works.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real

Chris Bardon said:
So far it sounds like Microsoft is trying to come up with a systemic approach to the whole thing, and Sony is telling publishers "do whatever you want". We'll see how that works.

Without trying to sound like a fanboy, XBOX has always been geared to the more hardcore gamers.
Lately they have started to branch out to the casual with Kinect, etc.

MS has the strategy, knowledge, and install base that still seems to elude Sony.
It will be exciting to see what happens ...

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA

Chris Bardon said:

I have a feeling it's the other way around... it's the publishers that want to banish the used game market. They don't make a cent off a used game. That's why they've started including single-use "bonus" codes (ie. exclusive costumes and weapons). Sony on the other hand, they've called the shots with publishers for years. I've heard horror stories from their PS1 days, telling early publishers to go Sony-exclusive or go home (ie. Square with FF7).

It should be interesting how it all pans out. In the end though, they'll both do just fine. It's Nintendo I'd be worried about :lol:

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON

movingpictures said:
Without trying to sound like a fanboy, XBOX has always been geared to the more hardcore gamers.
Lately they have started to branch out to the casual with Kinect, etc.

Oh please, Xbox is geared toward meat head bro's who like to pretend Halo, GOW and COD are the greatest games in the history of ever and tea bagging is an art form.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA

Vengeance said:
Oh please, Xbox is geared toward meat head bro's who like to pretend Halo, GOW and COD are the greatest games in the history of ever and tea bagging is an art form.

But you admit to never playing Halo or GOW ... soooo...

(COD is on PS3 as well)

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON

I just bought another Wii. Please note the lack of a U. Guess I'm just not a sophisticated enough gamer. Too many buttons? No thanks...

After many years of hard use, mine kicked the bucket.

Thanks to Bish for grabbing it in Peterborough for me!

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener

I'm shocked. This is the first new sony platform that didn't include a new format. CD, DVD, BR. I wonder if streaming 4k highdef video will be an option, sony has announced a new tv. I'm still pissed of at sony because I can no longer dual boot my ps3 with Ubuntu OS. It was a good desktop pc. Ps4 $399

Microsoft one will need to connect to the Internet every 12hrs. Also they have announced there will be no freely shared games (you pay unlocking fee) on their new system. Just think. Microsoft would have had to pay sony to use the blu-ray technology in each system, Clearly a better technology then anything Microsoft has going. One $499

Nintendo has CRAZY brand recognition. More people know mario then coke-a-cola around the world. They'll license games before the die out

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario

I only bought the ps3 because of the bluray, the ps4 has nothing new to offer me ... my ps3 is wi-fi, plays netflix and blueray, we do all of that, and sadly never play games any more. Kids would rather play mame and pinball (they are still young).

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real

Vengeance said:
movingpictures said:

All serious competitive players (yes, such a thing does exist) play on xbox.
I think there is a reason ....

ps. Tea bagging is an art form! :D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON

movingpictures said:
All serious competitive players (yes, such a thing does exist) play on xbox.
I think there is a reason ....

ps. Tea bagging is an art form! :D

That has everything to do with the availability of online play, and again gaming does not begin and end with Halo and COD.

I've been console gaming since I was 4 years old, and I choose the PS3 because of the larger collection of exclusive titles.

IMO, COD is the worst thing to happen to the FPS genre ever, it's made it ok to release the same bland, boring, stagnant type of gameplay again and again with no real innovation other than a few new trophies and some new weapons/maps. The first player campaign is some of the most uninspired drivel I've ever played and isn't even worth finishing.

I play it and it feels exactly the same as Battlefield 1942 did when it came out in 2002. Sure it's gotten prettier since then, but the core gameplay remains the same.

I'll take games like Halflife, Bioshock, Deus EX (the original, the sequel was not as good), Boderlands, The Darkness, Resistance (not 2 tho) etc, etc. That have a properly crafted story and engaging first player over the crap that COD and Battlefield keep pumping out.

Hell while Bisohock2 wasn't the greatest game ever, I had a hell of allot more fun playing it's mulitplayer then I have ever had playing COD online. At least it tried something different, with unusual weapons, the use of plasmids, turrets scattered throughout the map that could be taken control of, bobby traps, and a really interesting mechanic that I really like was taking pictures of the people you killed to gain a damage boost on them.

That is what I enjoy about a FPS experience, something new and different, you could play the original COD and interchange it directly for COD:BLOSP2 and the overall gameplay experience wouldn't change.

Xbox vs PS3 doesn't matter, play what suits your play style, but their are hardcore gamers on both side of the equation and one console is not more or less geared toward hardcore gamers then the other, just a different type of gamer.

I reference Zero Punctuation allot before Yahtzee has the exact same opinion I do on the current state of the FPS genre, so here is exactly how I feel about all of the state of the FPS genre:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... FG-Edition

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener

I think I will sit out of this round of systems, GT6 will be out for PS3. That's the main game I play nowadays on my console.

The only nice feature that I've seen is the PS4's ability to share your screen and controls with a friend online. That means, if you get stuck on a hard spot in a game you could have a buddy take over your game from his house and beat the level for you.

Anything to keep people at home and glued to their screens.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON

So now that these are out there, did anyone else grab one? I got my Xbox One last week, and so far it's pretty great. Haven't dug into any of the launch games too much yet (other than Killer Instinct, which is surprisingly good), but I've messed around with the system a bunch just to see what it can do. I've got copies of Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 waiting for some free hours though, and I couldn't pass up Forza for 30 bucks (even as someone who doesn't play a lot of racing games), so that's on it's way for next week.

Having the system turn on with a voice command, sign you in based on facial recognition, and instantly resume your game from a suspended state within about 20 seconds is pretty impressive too.