• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

X-Men LE vs AC/DC Premium... Which and Why?

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Just like title says,

X-Men LE vs AC/DC Premium

Which do you choose and why do you choose it? I already know my opinion, but just curious of the feedback from others.

Remember, this is all opinion based, and everyone is entitled, but please keep it to these specific titles. This isn't about other games that could be substituted.

Thanks!

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
It all depends on your budget X-men Le $5.5k Ac/Dc Le $7k . If money is no object Ac/Dc is my choice . I own both . Your welcome to come on July 6th for my tournament and judge for yourself .

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
I agree but if you only have 5k to spend you will not get an ac/dc premo . still think though for 5 k and new code xmen le is a great game for the price

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Price is a big factor, but ability to spend is not an issue.

I enjoy AC/DC much more, but again the price increase is the question.

Now, the games are totally different as one is open playfield and the other is quite busy. If I do make the purchase, whatever it will be will sit next to a TFLE Combo.

Theme-wise XMLE will go well for comic styling and LE status.

Gameplay, AC/DC is choice for me.

Price, well, easy answer.

Fun Factor, I find XM more frustrating.

Art, I like XMLE.

As said earlier, I know where I lean, but wanted feedback. Gonna let this thread play out more than the current 90 mins to let others chime in.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Not much to say about AC/DC Premium except that it gets lots of love. When I see game play videos of it makes me wanna own it but every time I play one in person I am glad I don't. It's not a bad game but just not for me. If you are a huge fan of the band and Steve Ritchie's style of game play then you will have a jizz fest every time you step up to it.

I've been an XM supporter since day #1 when I played it 2 years ago at the Wacky Wings launch party. The shot layout and combination possibilities really appeal to me. So much that the following week I pulled the trigger on my first and probably last ever new in box purchase. It was really unlike me to buy new because I am pretty good at tracking or finding used games as most probably know but I couldn't wait months for used X-Men Pro's to pop up on the market. My friend Elliot down the road just bought his Xmen Pro the week before me and asked why I bought it when I am always welcome to go over to his house to play it. I really liked the game that much and wanted to be able to play it anytime by just heading down to my game room.

The theme and artwork is great because it doesn't have actors like Hugh Jackman or Halle Berry plastered all over the game but instead they used hand drawn art by Jim Lee. I wasn't too keen on the huge Wolverine and Magneto toys but after a few plays you forget about it and I think they compliment the game just fine. The recent code update ties all these great shots in nicely by rewarding you for combos with points and even hiring Deadpool too. Both the magnets on the Pro are pretty active and I've seen them do some pretty crazy things such as whip the ball upwards and around the Cyclops loop or straight to the out lanes or down the middle. The ramp shots are ultra smooth and once you get in your groove you can tie in alternating ramp and orbit shots. It is such a shame this game got off to such a bad start due to shitty code and Stern leaving it behind by not devoting some resources to finish up the code. Perhaps if they did a lot of distributors wouldn't still have new in box LE's sitting in their warehouses right now. That $5500 Magneto LE on kijiji last week was obtained from SB less then 2 weeks ago new in box and ironically enough the previous owner had traded in his ACDC Luci for it. I guess if he was to post on here he would say he prefers neither one of these games :lol:

Which game you get depends on price point, if it is XMLE for $5500 and ACDC Premium for $7000 I think XMLE is the better buy without a doubt. There are so many ACDC Premiums in the market that I've even seen them being offloaded on pinside the past few months for $5000-5200. I've known of a nice HUO ACDC Premium (not Cobra Mike's) for around $7000 for a few months now. I debated picking it up as it comes with mods I would have done to my own machine such as cliffy's, mirror blades, flipper fidelity speaker upgrade and cannon mod which would bring the base price of the game down to about $6400-6500. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM or else Cobra Mike's is a very nice example too and has that really nice train topper too.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Xmen LE is the better value dollar for dollar. (pound for pound)
ACDC is the game that is much more loved. (fast and furious)

I bought Xmen pro with shaker motor from Wong. (I still have it)
I bought ACDC pro from Vengeance when he upgraded. (I still have it)

These are the ONLY 2 newer Sterns that I own.
That should speak to the appeal of both games.

Tron, LOTR, TSPP etc. I play happily at friends.
XMen and ACDC I actually have purchased both.

Good luck deciding.

PS: I will eventually sell both ACDC and Xmen and put the cash
towards TOTAN and CV. JPOP for the win!

Fun Factor for pinball will always win out for me. Buy what you like.

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
I had Adam's AC/DC Premium for a month or so and just couldn't get into it. I definitely prefer Xmen LE or Pro.

I normally like Ritchie games. AC/DC and WPT are the exceptions. In the case of AC/DC, there are no real modes and I found every game started to feel the same. There are a couple of multiballs, but the game really starts to feel same same for me. I wasn't sad to see it go and have no desire to own it.

I'll likely own an Xmen LE or Pro someday. I really like the game play and, like Mike, love the artwork. It's nice to see hand drawn art on the cab and backglass. The rules on Xmen are excellent with a variety of modes. Each mode is different and challenging. I've played the game alot and still find myself enjoying it every time I play it.

Cheers,
Duane