• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

WPC 2.0(tm) - Extensions to WPC 2.0 from PPS seminar at TPF

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
PPS is working on a number of things around a WPC 2.0 platform - extending code and playfield extensions for WPC/WPC95 games.

Attached in the next post are the three slides that I did at the TPF PPS seminar over the weekend, and notably that we are setting up a working relationship with John Popadiuk on doing a 2.0 version of either TOTAN or CV in addition to FH with another party.

We have now the formal framework (as used with the Dutch Pinball for BOP 2.0) for creating variations of games, so now we can move forward with our idea of collaborating with hardware, software, and game designers to get some enhanced games out in the market.

New hardware WPC controller has been announced from FAST Pinball as well as MMR controller which will run various software stacks of the WPC 2.0 games - which can be either emulated 6809 code or run on newer platforms such as Python, etc.

There is a 'remake' track as well as a WPC 2.0 track ... and we are looking as well as a next stage of 'remake WPC 2.0' as well ...

212057-i.jpg

212058-i.jpg

212059-i.jpg

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Re: WPC 2.0(tm) - Extensions to WPC 2.0 from PPS seminar at

Just saw this...Funhouse re-engineered to support a DMD...nearly wet myself.

I'll just give them my pin number...take as much as they need. I'll pay double for a colour DMD.

dos.reboot

Nov 19, 2012
Windsor. ON.

Had read a rumour that one of the JPop games was going to be TOM. Kinda bummed it's not on the list of potential games - one of the best flow games ever designed IMO that really suffers from poor coding.

Super cool announcement nevertheless.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

I think TOTAN is a great choice. Probably JPOPs most popular and attractive game and also in desperate need of better code. Although, I can't argue with TOM suffering from the same.

Will be interesting to see what FH dots look like.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot

This is a pretty cool development. When I owned Tom, I considered doing a proc replacement and taking the existing playfield and coming up with new rules for it. These announced titles are just the beginning, so there will be many more coming. PPS has invested a ton of money into new hardware, you can expect a lot of stuff from them over the coming years that run off these new systems (both remakes and "2.0" games).

I would also bet money that PPS and epthegeek will work out an arrangement for Cactus Canyon Continued with these new systems. This also explains why PPS was so litigious with the homebrew p-roc projects, this has been cooking all along and the last thing they want is for hobbyists to create free "2.0" games using their assets.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

It was great to finally share publicly what we have been working so hard at! The Texas Pinball Festival was an awesome experience and it was fun showing what we are doing and hearing about all the great ideas everyone has for new pinball. Big thanks to everyone who helped us out! Thanks Kevin for introducing us to David, David for loaning us his Dracula so we could demo the FAST Pinball WPC Controller and our FAST Pin Protocol live for visitors to the booth.

The opportunity to work with PPS very exciting and to work with designers like John Popadiuk is a big reason why we got into making our pinball platform. We were always intrigued by what features may have been cut due to time/budget/technology limitations and how great it would be to work with the original designers whenever possible to bring them to life.

We have worked very hard to develop a platform designed for streamline pinball design and programming, the development of new custom games and the eventual commercial release.

We have been hard at work on our hardware and have recently rebranded our efforts (you may have seen some of our previous efforts under the Skill Shot Pinball label), so our website will be getting updated over the next couple days. Please feel free to post any additional questions and I'll answer them as best as I can.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

PS: Huge thank you you to Brandon Bailey brendanbailey.net for our new logo design and to Rich Lindt thisoldgame.com for producing our new t-sheets and banners!

They are working on their website which should hopefully be filled with content and information soon.

http://www.fastpinball.com

Here is a picture of their WPC Controller

212202-i.jpg

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford

This seems like it could be a serious game changer for all wpc games. I'm exited to see what happens in the future. In the pinside thread they mentioned being able to have different versions of code loaded on the board and being able to switch between them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

Rick also mentioned Sys11 "2.0" version of games is next.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

Ok, seeing as I own all 3 of the games listed so far I better start saving my pennies! This is SWEET!

D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot

REVOLUTION said:
Are the WPC 2.0 boards by Dutch Pinball? or is this completely separate?

Looks totally different but the concept was born from BOP I'm sure.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CS4884bYXTc[/youtube]

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com

REVOLUTION said:
Interesting.. so Skit-B is involved with the Funhouse re-release?

It was quietly announced mid-seminar late last year at the Texas Pinball Festival or some such US event. Kevin of Skit B talks at length about his involvement in the Pinheadz Poscast Episode 8.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

REVOLUTION said:
Interesting.. so Skit-B is involved with the Funhouse re-release?

Yep, seems like he'll be assisting or in charge of the code.