• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Working on a new COFFIN mod for my BSD

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I think anyone familiar with BSD is also very well acquainted with the horrible coffin figure; AKA Ron Jeremy frozen in carbonite.

I recently had all my BSD buildings custom painted and the game is playing and looking great. It was time to banish this evil toy and replace it with something far more appropriate so I could finally rest in peace :)

A while ago I found these McFarlane BSD figures on eBay. They can be pricey and hard to find now, but I managed to get two sets to play with. Anyone familiar with the movie will immediately recognize the 'bat' Dracula that is seen in the final scenes of the movie as he breaks out of the crates that carry his native Transylvanian soil to London and back. When I saw the crate I immediately got the idea to replace the current coffin and cheesy headstone with a couple of these wooden boxes... hence why I needed two sets.

I wanted to see if the boxes would actually slip right over the current coffin frame. Space to the underside of the glass is tight so I'll have to be creative.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qvxBhT]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qvwgCg]

After this was done and a hole cut for the ball to escape, I placed the whole thing in the game to check the fit. Well, the glass hits the front edge of the box; not good :(

It seems the original coffin base has too much buildup at the base and I would have to place my mod directly on the metal plate and dress it up somehow. With this done, the glass closed but my clearance at the back (where I want to place the figure) is only about 1" above the crate.

The next step was to remove the lid and place my figure inside.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qMYbY4]

I had to hog out some of the back of the crate and chop off his lower legs to get him low enough. Even with these steps he was still too tall. My next option was to start taking away material from the back of the figure.

In the end, I did a lot of amputation. But, after all, he is the undead so I didn't feel so bad.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qvwgoZ]

I also decided the backward swept arm position was very limiting, so I cut off his arms and repositioned them forward. This gives the impression he is lifting himself out of the crate to some degree.

Finally! I had a figure that was low enough for the glass while still looking menacing enough for such a creepy game.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qvpTKw]

The next step is probably beyond my meager abilities, but I'm hopeful that a well-known local sculptor might assist me in creating the crate fragments to complete the 'busting out' effect from the film.

In the end I had to remove two light panels designed for the original figure and the tombstone. I don't miss them at all but someone else may be able to tap into them and make this even cooler. For now I'll set this aside. Hopefully I'll be able to post a more completed mod once I can get some help.

Stay tuned.....
[/url][/url][/url][/url][/url]

Reactions: WARLOCK

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Looks good Drano and it is way better then the stock Ron Jeremy look alike.

42606.jpg

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
I think anyone familiar with BSD is also very well acquainted with the horrible coffin figure; AKA Ron Jeremy frozen in carbonite.

I recently had all my BSD buildings custom painted and the game is playing and looking great. It was time to banish this evil toy and replace it with something far more appropriate so I could finally rest in peace :)

A while ago I found these McFarlane BSD figures on eBay. They can be pricey and hard to find now, but I managed to get two sets to play with. Anyone familiar with the movie will immediately recognize the 'bat' Dracula that is seen in the final scenes of the movie as he breaks out of the crates that carry his native Transylvanian soil to London and back. When I saw the crate I immediately got the idea to replace the current coffin and cheesy headstone with a couple of these wooden boxes... hence why I needed two sets.

I wanted to see if the boxes would actually slip right over the current coffin frame. Space to the underside of the glass is tight so I'll have to be creative.

After this was done and a hole cut for the ball to escape, I placed the whole thing in the game to check the fit. Well, the glass hits the front edge of the box; not good :(

It seems the original coffin base has too much buildup at the base and I would have to place my mod directly on the metal plate and dress it up somehow. With this done, the glass closed but my clearance at the back (where I want to place the figure) is only about 1" above the crate.

The next step was to remove the lid and place my figure inside.

I had to hog out some of the back of the crate and chop off his lower legs to get him low enough. Even with these steps he was still too tall. My next option was to start taking away material from the back of the figure.

In the end, I did a lot of amputation. But, after all, he is the undead so I didn't feel so bad.

I also decided the backward swept arm position was very limiting, so I cut off his arms and repositioned them forward. This gives the impression he is lifting himself out of the crate to some degree.

Finally! I had a figure that was low enough for the glass while still looking menacing enough for such a creepy game.

The next step is probably beyond my meager abilities, but I'm hopeful that a well-known local sculptor might assist me in creating the crate fragments to complete the 'busting out' effect from the film.

In the end I had to remove two light panels designed for the original figure and the tombstone. I don't miss them at all but someone else may be able to tap into them and make this even cooler. For now I'll set this aside. Hopefully I'll be able to post a more completed mod once I can get some help.

Stay tuned.....
I have to pick this up from you so I can fine tune it and add the wood fragments. We'll figure it out

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Looks good Drano. How's the overall scale of the new coffin compared to the rest of the game? More pics?

You should re-incorporate the two lights, perhaps into the front face of the coffin. The lights track your ball lock progress towards Coffin Multiball.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Looks good Drano. How's the overall scale of the new coffin compared to the rest of the game? More pics?

You should re-incorporate the two lights, perhaps into the front face of the coffin. The lights track your ball lock progress towards Coffin Multiball.

Well, the crates take up the exact same footprint as the original coffin and headstone.... which were already out of scale with the buildings and graveyard anyway. I short, it's not strange when compared to what was already there... It just takes up a bit more volume. Come by and see it if you like.

As for the lights, there are two sets that I disconnected. One is simply a PCB that lights up the old dracula; no longer necessary.
The other two lamps I disconneced are of course the locked ball lamps. I thought it might be cool to rewire them to draculas eyes or something like that; more integrated. However, I have never looked at those lights before, so not sure it's worth the effort. I mean, I always know how many coffin locks I've got anyway.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
This is great to see. I have only one vacant spot left for pinball and it is reserved for Dracula. I'd love to do something like this to my future machine. Impressive!

Well, as soon as I can get some help with the scultping portion of this, I would imagine that the artist could then take a mold and reproduce the entire mod for anyone who might want to buy one.

Maybe if we start a petition and get an idea on some pre-order numbers he might speed things up... I suspect he's listening :)
There aren't that many BSD owners in the GTA, but this is a masively popular game here and state-side; and I'm sure almost every owner would go nuts for this mod.

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
Well, as soon as I can get some help with the scultping portion of this, I would imagine that the artist could then take a mold and reproduce the entire mod for anyone who might want to buy one.

Maybe if we start a petition and get an idea on some pre-order numbers he might speed things up... I suspect he's listening :)
There aren't that many BSD owners in the GTA, but this is a masively popular game here and state-side; and I'm sure almost every owner would go nuts for this mod.

I'd buy one even before obtaining the machine, that's a promise. Anyone else?