• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Ultrasonic Cleaner (USC)

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Alright so I got my new USC and had a chance to use it to shop a playfield last night.

I put in hot water and a little bit of Super Clean like Adam suggested in another thread.

I put the heater element on and went to town. I had to run 2 - 3 cycles at the longest timer setting of 480 seconds before the parts were as clean as I would like them.

Couple questions for you guys using USC's...

- Is it normal to have to run a few 8 minute cycles to get the parts clean enough?
- When does the water become too dirty to use? My water was brown and the manual said to replace the water when it becomes black. Could I have gone on cleaning parts with brown water?
- Do you put hot water in the unit or do you put cold water in and then turn the heater on?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I've always been fine with the 8 min cycle never feeling like any more would have really changed anything.

It becomes too dirty when it stops working I generally just use it for one machine, and then toss it.

Hot water, as hot as possible from the tap, and then I use the heater to keep it hot

Reactions: Menace

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
What the USC does very well is bring dirt to the surface. But sometimes it still sits on the part. After your first pass make sure to rinse the parts under fresh water and hand dry with a microfiber cloth. If they're not clean after that, you may try another pass.

I usually default to a 15 min cycle but I don't think there is any set rule. It'll depend largely on the part, the material and how filthy or ingrained the gunk is.

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Ok, thanks guys. I found metal parts came out way cleaner than plastic. Do you guys feel the same way?

I was expecting to put the parts in the unit, turn it on and then after the cycle is over for the parts to be 100% clean without me having to do anything. However, some of the plastic parts were not super clean and I had to wipe them down to get the residual dirt off, sounds like this is normal per Drano so thanks for validating that.

Adam, is there a case where you would not use hot water or spike the water with Super Clean? Do you always put in a bit of that stuff with hot water only?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I don't know if anyone here has tried Ultra Dust from Comet Pinball but here is some information on it and link to purchase.

http://www.cometpinball.com/ULTRADUST-p/ultradust.htm

The Cleaning of both Plastic and Electronic Parts in Pinball Restoration using an Ultrasonic Cleaner, is an efficient and professional method.

Introducing
ultradust%20logo.jpg

A superior Cleaning Product designed especially for the Electronic and Jewelry Industry is now available for Pin Fans!

Available in 2 oz, makes 2-10 Gallons $3.95 6 oz, makes 6-30 Gallons $10.95 12oz, makes 12-60 Gallons $19.95

Rinses Clean...No Residue!
Easier to store!...in Powder Form!
Safer for your Electronic Pieces then Green and Purple Liquid Cleaners.
Better Control of Cleaning Strength
Designed for Safe cleaning of Electronic Parts
Less Expensive then Liquids....by not paying for "water"

Straight from one of the largest manufacturers in the country.
I have been using ultrasonic cleaners for over 30 years and find this to be my favorite choice!

From a Factory that makes "Green" products, but one step up for cleaning electronics too!

A low-foaming highly alkaline crystallized cleaner concentrate for in-process metal fabrication and finishing operations. Its excellent cleaning ability removes compounds, jewelers rouges, Tripoli etc., from steel, steel alloys, aluminum, aluminum alloys, galvanized
steel and other substrates. Ultra Dust is also Superior as a precious metals and electronic components.

Non Hazardous, but some may be allergic to the cleaning agents so gloves are recommended, keep out of eyes, wear goggles, dont drink or mix with Alcohol.

Mix with Water.....One Ounce will Make from 1 to 3 Gallons of Super Concentrated Cleaner! (For Ultrasonic use)

Can be used in a Spray bottle as an all purpose cleaner...up to 5 gallons an ounce!

Works Best with Hot Water-Heated Ultrasonic

Cleaning of Plastic Parts, like Printed or screened artwork is NEVER recommended.

This product is a cleaning agent, it is not a polishing agent. As such, it will not remove rust, oxidation, burns or deformities in Plastic

(As there is a wide variety of Ultrasonic cleaners, Types of Electronic Parts, and their construction, type and nature of dirt, or surface containment, we are not responsible for any negative results that may occur due to the use of this product.)

Attachments

• 9-29-2015 12-04-38 PM.png
    9-29-2015 12-04-38 PM.png
    335.9 KB · Views: 10

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Next question - Ultrasonic Cleaner versus Tumbler

Go.

One cleans, the other polishes. What's the question??

You can certainly use a USC to clean parts before tumbling. It'll keep your tumbling media cleaner for longer. However, one does not replace the other.

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
If I were doing a restore job I would first put metal parts in the USC to clean up and then in the tumbler and/or a wheel polisher for a mirror shine.

Since I was doing a quick shop job I cleaned everything with the USC and it turned out ok.

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Ultra dust........ Anyone ever use this stuff? What's it normally sold as? So many items for pinball are re-packaged as a 'pinball' item and sold at 10X the price of what it would be as a raw material from the real supplier. This looks to be one of those products.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I just brought a bag of the Ultra Dust in but haven't had a chance to test it on anything yet. Soon though.... and I'll post my thoughts once completed.

D

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
One cleans, the other polishes. What's the question??

You can certainly use a USC to clean parts before tumbling. It'll keep your tumbling media cleaner for longer. However, one does not replace the other.
I've never known the difference - this helps a lot.

So the question is, if you could only get one which one would it be?

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
The USC is more versatile. Painted plastics and coated metal, stuff you wouldn't want to put in the tumbler lest it eat away at the finish, will get nice and clean, safely, in the USC. That said, the ultra shine you'll get on your posts and metal accents is stunning after 12 hours in the tumbler.

Different tools that produce different results. Just get both! :)

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Ya I would second getting both a USC and a tumbler. You will ask yourself how on earth did I live without? Well, lots of tooth brushes and elbow grease for starters........ lol

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Even for stuff that is a bit rusty?

Soak that stuff in a bath of rust remover. Canadian Tire sells a couple of brands but this stuff is inexpensive and you can use it for while... even if it's black!

It says it's non toxic and doesn't seem to give off any smell, which is nice.

Get a small plastic tub and a couple of bottles and you're off to the races.

canvas.png

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Nice. I've been using my tumbler for everything. I'm such a chump. Now I need to find a good price on a USC. Thanks guys! (I think). ;)