• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

TIP TWD Pre & Star Trek Pre

Locutus

Feb 1, 2019
Richmond Hill
Both are incredible. Star Trek has a lot more flow (Steve Ritchie), TWD arguably the deeper/ better code (Lyman).
I know some with young families don’t like the TWD theme.
Controversial hot take: I like TWD pro more than the premium.
So, if you like both themes equally, do you prefer flow, or code?
Can’t go wrong though. both great games

KING BLING !

May 12, 2020
Ottawa
Both are incredible. Star Trek has a lot more flow (Steve Ritchie), TWD arguably the deeper/ better code (Lyman).
I know some with young families don’t like the TWD theme.
Controversial hot take: I like TWD pro more than the premium.
So, if you like both themes equally, do you prefer flow, or code?
Can’t go wrong though. both great games
Hmmm, guessing these go for around $13000 or so?

king_pin

Dec 15, 2019
ottawa
Star trek is the better game in my opinion and also better price on the market atm. Star Trek has such great flow and the sounds and animations are top notch. Very fun game. Nothing taken away from TWD but for me Star Trek wins that battle every day of the week.

Reactions: KING BLING !

tom_454

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
ST is a very good game but TWD is a great game. TWD is an ugly looking game as it should be because that suits the theme. It is hard and has great rules. Horde is one of the greatest mini-wizard modes. It really gets the blood flowing. The outlines are brutal. I too prefer the pro but I wish it had walker bombs like the premium. It has that one more game thing going for it.

Reactions: KING BLING !

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
TWD is definitely the harder game, but both are good. For ST, I'd probably look for a pro over a premium-the extra stuff there just isn't worth the money.

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
TWD is definitely the harder game, but both are good. For ST, I'd probably look for a pro over a premium-the extra stuff there just isn't worth the money.

I disagree. I love the ST feel/speed of the game but hate the pro so much. It's missing key elements. The cost saving removal of features to make the pro affects game play.

If you just want to learn the game and move on get the pro. If you want to enjoy the game and be fully immersed get the Prem/LE.

I have the Pro because it was offered NIB in a partial trade. It's leaving soon to make space for new games. I may get ST again later but it will definitely be the Prem/LE.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I disagree. I love the ST feel/speed of the game but hate the pro so much. It's missing key elements. The cost saving removal of features to make the pro affects game play.
Other than the left scoop/kicker, what else is different that really changes the way the game flows? Some of the cosmetics on the premium/LE are neat, but if you want to save a few bucks, it's not a bad pro.

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Other than the left scoop/kicker, what else is different that really changes the way the game flows? Some of the cosmetics on the premium/LE are neat, but if you want to save a few bucks, it's not a bad pro.

That's the big one. That left scoop. It's a tight shot. On the prem/le it then gets fed to the left flipper. Your tight shot is rewarded with letting you keep control of the ball. On the pro it kicks back out. Sometimes you hit the slings, sometimes you don't. about 25-30% of the time the ball drains from that kickout on the pro. Shitty cost cutting of the real design. Yes you can tweak and adjust your game to limit those cheap drains but you will never eliminate them completely. This is pinball... The ball is wild.

I also dislike the outlane ball save on the pro. On the prem/le it's a real one with a dedicated insert light like STTNG. On the pro it's a blinking outlane light with a lame-ass cheapo ball return to the plunger.... Unfortunately that outlane doesn't always blink as it's the same light as the outlane rollover. Makes it hard to know if the ball save is active or not (should I nudge or not). The RGB effects on the prem/le playfield are full(all inserts) and way better than the pro, on which only the main shots have RGB inserts. This may seem cosmetic only but it's not. Hard to track the top rollover lane function on the pro as it can be on, off, or flashing. The flashing isn't great or 100% effective. Changes colors on prem/LE.

The added ship motion I don't care about nor the laser dots on the prem/le. That's just cosmetics.

Last edited:

Ponzie

Oct 3, 2017
Ottawa
That's the big one. That left scoop. It's a tight shot. On the prem/le it then gets fed to the left flipper. Your tight shot is rewarded with letting you keep control of the ball. On the pro it kicks back out. Sometimes you hit the slings, sometimes you don't. about 25-30% of the time the ball drains from that kickout on the pro. Shitty cost cutting of the real design. Yes you can tweak and adjust your game to limit those cheap drains but you will never eliminate them completely. This is pinball... The ball is wild.

I also dislike the outlane ball save on the pro. On the prem/le it's a real one with a dedicated insert light like STTNG. On the pro it's a blinking outlane light with a lame-ass cheapo ball return to the plunger.... Unfortunately that outlane doesn't always blink as it's the same light as the outlane rollover. Makes it hard to know if the ball save is active or not (should I nudge or not). The RGB effects on the prem/le playfield are full(all inserts) and way better than the pro, on which only the main shots have RGB inserts. This may seem cosmetic only but it's not. Hard to track the top rollover lane function on the pro as it can be on, off, or flashing. The flashing isn't great or 100% effective. Changes colors on prem/LE.

The added ship motion I don't care about nor the laser dots on the prem/le. That's just cosmetics.
I love my ST Pro (and have owned it for a long time...) But you've now made me want to try a Prem/LE some day...

As for the original question, I've only ever played the STTNG and TWD pro both owned by @Locutus and my preference is STTNG...
(But I'm also a VERY average player and STTNG is a bit easier than TWD...lol)

Of course it helps that I'm more of a Star Trek fan than a Walking Dead fan....

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
I love my ST Pro (and have owned it for a long time...) But you've now made me want to try a Prem/LE some day...

As for the original question, I've only ever played the STTNG and TWD pro both owned by @Locutus and my preference is STTNG...
(But I'm also a VERY average player and STTNG is a bit easier than TWD...lol)

Of course it helps that I'm more of a Star Trek fan than a Walking Dead fan....
I have a ST Pro and I really don't care about the missing habit trail. The kick out makes it a bit more of a challenge on the Pro. Is the missing habit trail (the only thing that impacts game play) worth $4 grand or more? Nope. I get some folks will go for the bling. The LE is a beauty and I do love the look of it, but given the extra $$$ I'll keep the Pro.

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
$4000 more for a Premium???? In what universe? lol..

Looking at Pinside SOLD (while somewhat filtering the COVID insanity of 12-24 months ago) prices the prem is about 2k-2.5k more on average. The LE is definitely $4-5k more than the pro.

I wouldn't pay $4k more for a Prem if that's what sellers are asking. there are better deals out there as long as you have some patience.