1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track-Ball Issues

Discussion in 'Arcade Tech Support' started by Rascal, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Rascal

Rascal Active Member

I have a Chicago Gaming Co. multi arcade game with a very rough track-ball controller between the joysticks. What I am wondering is if anyone has tried to clean/repair these or are they basically a replacement situation. I have not tried to take it apart yet, but I was thinking it might be in need of cleaning like an old style mouse that needed the ball and rollers cleaned. Anyone with experience with these?

2. Menace

Menace Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Most track-ball's that I've ever seen are rebuild-able. Depending on the MFG of the ball (it won't be Chicago Gaming) you should be able to buy a rebuild kit, with new rollers and bearings. Before you go that route you could always take it apart and just clean the rollers and see if the bearings are rough.

D

3. brad808

brad808 Member

Yes I've taken apart a bunch of trackballs. If you haven't oiled the bearings then it's likely due. Use 3-1 oil. If it's a wico or Happ trackball etc then you'll find 3 roller shafts inside with two bearings on each shaft. Take the shafts out stick them in a drill and use find grit sandpaper to remove any rust or crap built on. Let the bearings run in some oil for a while, put them on the shaft in the drill, hold onto them and run the drill for a while to work them around. If they are still crap replace them... Maybe $2-$3 a piece.

4. brad808

brad808 Member

I had to do one last night so I snapped a pic for you.

[​IMG]

5. Rascal

Rascal Active Member

I always say, if you take enough bolts out of it, it will fall apart.
    So it is serviceable. Excellent, thanks for the picture. Mine is very rough and lumpy feeling. I cleaned a lot of crud off the ball externally but I think I need to open her up and clean inside. I think I will need a rebuilt kit Menace mentioned, mine sounds like bearing issues also.

Have any idea what a new unit is worth compared to rebuilt kit?

6. Menace

Menace Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

New units are usually over $100 these days (they were pushing that years ago so it's got to be more now). Rebuild kits are relatively cheap, maybe $20?

D

7. eh97ac

eh97ac Active Member

Starburst has a bunch on blow out clearance, I was just there at lunch. Give 'em a call