• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

TOTAN - "You Break, You Buy..."

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
...You Wish :)

So Adriano was over last Friday playing some TOTAN and after a few balls he noticed the ball was sort of hanging up in the left orb kick out saucer and then this happened:

8398122115_2335fe7d4f_c.jpg

We shut the game off to avoid any further damage and were both pleasantly surprised to see the kicker still stuck in the up position. This is a good thing as it means the problem is most likely mechanical versus electrical. If we shut the game off and saw that the kicker went down immediately that would indicate the coil was locked on and energized usually caused by a bad transistor. You can quickly test this theory by turning the game back on quickly and if you see the kicker come back up immediately or when you start the game. Continuing to play a game with a locked on coil will cause it to heat up and make it swell up making it harder to remove the sleeve later. This could also easily happen with flashers in the game too so pay attention if you have a flasher locked on and if you do remove the bulb as soon as possible.

So we lift the playfield up to inspect the mechanism and move it by hand and notice there was some strange resistance.

8398123239_dee87c0d08_c.jpg

8398124725_5d4cacf074_c.jpg

We were pretty sure it wasn't the helper springs, sleeve, pawl or coil stop related leaving only one thing in question which was this pivot axis point.

8399210924_41769285dd_c.jpg

So I removed the bracket holding the coil and forgot to take two pics but I removed the two philips screws that hold the coil in place and the sleeve was pretty clean and slid in/out the coil with ease and the coil stop looks good and not mushroomed at all.

8398127229_f0250b6012_c.jpg

I checked the pawl and it was pretty good and no mushrooming either so confident this is no the cause of the problem.

8398133959_e2f280ee95_c.jpg

So now I am going to inspect the rest of the kicker mechanism and can already feel the resistance by hand on the pivot point. So I proceed to take it apart.

8398134991_31aae5ac73_c.jpg

Taking either a pair of needle nose pliers or a small flat head screwdriver carefully pull off the pin and everything should come apart nicely.

8398137633_32ab67b0ce_c.jpg

I can see the problem already which was just as Doug aka Menace said when we met up with him at Monkeybug's place later that night. Thanks!

8398138911_15abf2b944_c.jpg

Doug said these come greased from the factory and not sure why as over time it will harden or gunk up like this. His advice was to take it apart and clean it up and don't bother putting new grease or lube when putting it back together as it is not necessary. I used some isopropyl alcohol, wife's make up cleaning pads and some q-tips to clean the inside of the holes which the pivot threads through.

8398140671_ef2fe930d5_c.jpg

8398142705_984bc4b9d6_c.jpg

When I put it back together it was night and day difference and TOTAN is running like a champ again :)

8399229802_774683d8d0_c.jpg

I hope this will be helpful to other people and does not only apply to TOTAN as lots of games use saucer kick out holes too.

-Mike

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Pharoah007 said:
Where did u get a big jug of Iso like that?

From any beauty or nail supply store, my wife does hair and nails from home so sometimes her supplies come in handy :)

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Nice job-I like when a problem is a reasonably simple fix like this (and by "simple" I mean "anything you can solve in one evening and not have to go to sleep still worrying about").

Golden Graham

Nov 19, 2012
Essex, Ontario
Damn. Figured it was broken and you were going to drive to the edge of the world and throw it over! Or maybe just dump it in Windsor :D

Glad you got it fixed Mike!

Fuzzypossum

Jan 11, 2015
arkansas
Excellent post! I followed all of the steps but my kicker is still not working. Unfortunately, my kicker arm was in the down position. In the beginning of this post you mentioned it could be electrical, a bad transistor. Where would I find that transistor?

Thanks

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Usually when you have something like a flipper stuck in the up position without you pressing and holding flipper button down it could mean it is an electrical or mechanical problem.

In my case with TOTAN the left orb kicker was stuck in up position and when I switched the game off it was still in the same position. This meant it was a mechanical problem because if it was electrical related the kicker would have dropped immediately once power was shut off. To verify this you could briefly turn the machine on, start a game and see if the kicker come back to the up position. You don't want to keep the game on for too long otherwise you could melt the coil or possibly start a fire!

The same thing can happen to a flasher that stays locked on if a transistor blows but a temporary fix to this would be to just remove the bulb.

Now to identify which transistor is blown you can check your manual or download it from ipdb.org Every game will have a Solenoid/Flasher table and here is the one from TOTAN:

Screenshot_2015-01-11-20-28-28.png
The left kicker is solenoid #15 and transistor is Q41. To locate this you will need to find the WPC95 Driver Board as shown here:

Screenshot_2015-01-11-20-29-59.png

I will zoom in on Q41 which is the middle right here:

Screenshot_2015-01-11-20-30-50.png

Before you go changing this I would first check and see if you are getting voltage at the kicker coil and look for any broken wires in the chain. You can also manually ground the coil to see if you can get it to fire and if you have a DMM you can test to see if the transistor is shorted out too.

Reactions: CJBob

dnewman

Oct 29, 2013
Newmarket
Great post Mike! I love seeing that kind of detail explaining the issue! Appreciated, and glad to hear you got it back up and running!