• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

TOM - problem with noise

Feb 11, 2019
GREECE
do you know which transistor corresponds to the magnet from the trunk?

I want to check it to see if the magnet or the transistor that is in failed and blow me the fuse

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Sounds like 2 very different issues.

If the transformer is buzzing I would check that all the mounting screws are tight. A small normal vibration on loose metal plates could make the sound a lot worse.

The transistor for your magnet should be easy to find in the manual under the solenoids table. If you don't have a manual, download one from IPDB.

There are a lot of tutorials online on how to test for a bad transistor with a multimeter.
It's likely that the magnet is shorted. Think of it like a chain. Magnet is bad, transistor blows and fuse blows. It could also be that the transistor went bad, the magnet locks on and fuse blows. Same result.

I don't know if testing magnets is the same as testing coils? I'm sure there are posts on this topic somewhere

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
It may also just be that someone already replaced that particular transistor. It's very common to see soldering like that when a component has been replaced and the orange colour is just solder flux.

But testing is of course the only way to know for sure. Very easy to test with a multimeter.