• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tim's SKYLAB thread

tim.sanderson

My first EM is in the house!
SLbackbox1.jpg SLfrontview1.jpg
I've only got another 30 minutes before I go to work, so this post will be rather short.

I bought this machine off of our very own Vengeance (aka Adam) He told me the game worked just fine, and really just needed a good cleaning. This was quite true. I know there's a whole check list for going over a 'new' EM before turning it on, but I was too impatient, and had to give 'er a go. I was playing it within 20 minutes of getting it home.
As far as EM's go, this game is very simple. It's a one player machine, which is exactly what I wanted for my first foray into electro mechanicalness. From what I understand, the more players a game has, the more stuff there is that can go wrong. As for the playfield, it's also quite simple;
two flippers, two pop bumpers, two Slingshots, and a captured ball shot in the middle. There are also a couple of rollover targets on the playfield.

The playfield is in OK shape. There's a bit of wear on the PF (to be expected on a 40 year old game), and some of the inserts have very slightly sunk in.

I'll be sure to go into much more detail later tonight.

Reactions: WARLOCK

tim.sanderson

A few detail shots of the playfield. There are some sunken inserts that have a slight affect on game play, so I'll be trying to fix those.
There's also been a bit of a arched channel worn into the PF from plunging so many times over the years. I'm not so worried about that.
IMG_0406.JPG IMG_0405.JPG IMG_0409.JPG IMG_0411.JPG IMG_0408.JPG
Here's an overall shot:
playfield_1024.jpg

tim.sanderson

Well, this is potentially interesting. While looking over some pics of other Skylabs for comparison, I've noticed one of them there are of my machine. I am pretty sure I didn't take the photo. I've looked over my folder of Skylab pics, and I don't see one that looks like that.
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2202&picno=51160&zoom=1
If you compare the one from IPDB to mine, it is clear they are of the same machine.
IPDB:

comp pix.jpg

It appears we have a mystery!

tim.sanderson

I contacted IPDB for some info. A guy named Jay said the photo was uploaded on Dec 25, 2011. Now that the machine's famous, I imagine it's tripled in value. Quadrupled, even. Anyone who'd like their photo taken with the machine can set up an appointment with my staff. I figure $50 a photo sounds fair. $100 if I autograph it.

A quick search found Bruce in a mini doc:

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Well this just gets cooler and cooler Tim! Maybe this means your basically pals with Bruce now? He'll probably make you a sweet deal on a few more games. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

singlezero

Jul 10, 2014
Orillia ontario
heres something to add to the mystery. your glass is showing it as an AAB? not sure if it plays as an Add a Ball. However at ipdb if you look the AAB version was "Spacelab" a game they only made 30 of confirmed.