• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tim's Gottlieb Dragon thread

tim.sanderson

This one isn't so much a project thread, as I bought this as a working game in Allentown.
1979's Gottlieb Dragon, on the System 1 platform.

However, by the time it made the 700km journey back to Mississauga, the game had developed a power supply issue, keeping the displays from working. So, I took the easy way out yesterday, and bought a Rottendog replacement. Now the game plays quite swimmingly.

I'll be posting more pics and videos later this week, I just wanted to get the thread up-an-running before I headed out for work today.
dragon_cropped_1000px.png

tim.sanderson

My buddy John and I put dragon through it's paces tonight. We played dozens of games , all without a hiccup.
Not that it takes much to figure out the rules on a very-early solid state, but we figured out the values of all the shots.

The vari-targets are pretty interesting shots. Early in the ball they are worth almost nothing. But as you build up your multipliers they grow more valuable.
vari_target_1000px.jpg
I'll post a detailed video tutorial over the next few days... maybe during my day off on Monday.

I'll be bringing this game to the CPC this year, so you'll be able to give 'er a play in the 'classics' division.

Reactions: BOO

tim.sanderson

This game has no free-play mode. And, it only holds a maximum of 15 credits at a time. I can open up the door to add credits when it runs out, but I thought I'd come up with a more creative method.

On my Rescue 911, I had added a momentary switch behind the coin return door thing. It worked out very well, and was a much stealthier method than drilling a hole to add a switch under the cabinet.

On this game I did it a little differently. I took apart the coin mech in the front door and removed the switch that triggers the credits. I then added it to the back-side of the start button's switch, using longer screws. So now both switches are triggered by the same button.

credit_start_button.jpg

However the credits don't add every single time, probably because both switches are triggered too closely together. Sometimes it'll add a credit every time I push the button, but sometimes it goes a few games before adding them. To solve this I've set it to five credits per "quarter". This way, if it only adds credits every 3 or 4 games, it still keeps the game maxed out. (thanks to Barry/superjackpot for the idea to add multiple credits per coin)

I've played many dozens of games since the mod, and haven't had to open the door to do it manually again.

tim.sanderson

I've added LED's to the inserts and head of Dragon. I put LEDs into the head to help keep the heat of incandescents from flaking the backglass any more than it already is. I tried out some LED's in the inserts, and like how much brighter it made them. However, I believe I've encountered the 'flickering' I've read about in older games. Here's a video showing what's happening.
Is this the flickering I've read about, that can be cured with a 1.5k(?) resistor?

tim.sanderson

It would seem that the flickering I've been reading about (and the flickering displayed in the Gamatron entry) is quite different from what I get with my bonus LED's. It's worth a try though, to see if that would solve the problem. I'll swing by Sayal tomorrow to see if I can get some 470 ohm resistors.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Sometimes it'll add a credit every time I push the button, but sometimes it goes a few games before adding them.
I get the same behaviour in my Joker Poker SS using a similar approach. (Pinrepair published an idea to jumper the start button to either credit switch at the diode board in the lower cabinet). For me too, the credits never get very far from max. No more opening the door.

check out his entry for Gamatron which talks about controlling the behaviour of LEDs in these older games.

Clay referred to SCRs in Bally/Sterns that needed the extra load whenever using leds for the computer controlled lighting... which are supplied by adding the resistor. Does this solution work for Gottlieb System 1s?

tim.sanderson

It seems like the flickering solution offered by adding 470 ohm resistors does not work for my problem. I soldered in some resistors and I still get the same pulse as soon as I reach 10,000 bonus for the first time. maybe it actually happens with the incandescents too, it's just they are slower to light up, and you just don't see it.

Oh well, it was worth a shot. ;)