• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

the 2015 Canadian Pinball Championships!

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
Congrats to those who qualified. I finished 37th out of 65 in the Classics division and given it was the first time I'd done any competition I'm pretty happy with that. There is a lot of strategy I should learn to get better but really I just need to be able to make shots half the time so practice is the key thing.

Good luck to those playing today.

SuperPinball

Feb 3, 2015
Richmond Hill
The way I see it, everyone can qualify depending how much they are willing to spend. If you go early and play constantly until closing for both days you are bound to have several "good" games. The real difference is that the good players do not need to spend as much. If there is one change I would make, I would like the kids division to be structured just like the other divisions in that there are playoffs at the end. Kids are pretty thick skinned and have competitions all the time like Karate, piano, gymnastics etc. I wanted my kids to get that head to head competition experience. Hopefully it will change in the future.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I managed to qualify top 4 for A and ended up finishing 4th in that division. In tough against some seasoned tournament players. Gotta get me some more experience to get used to the nerves that come in crunch time.:nailbiting:

I also qualified 4th in classics but finished 5th in the end. In my playoff round I actually finished 2nd in my group of four and was expecting to advance to the final four. But they used older Papa rules and I was out when compared to the second group of 4 players (whose third place finisher had more points) :wtf:

Anyway all was good. Met a number of people (incl Ed Robertson who popped in on Sat), gained lots of valuable experience, and picked up on some new game play strategy. Really looking forward to Pinburgh (replayfx) at the end of July whose format is a mix of modern and classics in every round you play. http://replayfx.org/arcade/list-of-games/pinball-machines/

That Seawitch was immaculate!
Maxime from QC restored that pin. Really did a wonderful job.

Too bad I missed you there.

Reactions: SquidVicious

vinyljunkie67

Apr 14, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
I took first place in B division. Was not expecting to do so well. It was really nice to see some pin rev folks I hadn't seen in a while, and great to meet others. This is gonna be a whole lot more expensive next year in A!

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
I took first place in B division. Was not expecting to do so well. It was really nice to see some pin rev folks I hadn't seen in a while, and great to meet others. This is gonna be a whole lot more expensive next year in A!

Congrats, bud! You've come a long way from buying your first pin! haha... thanks again for the beer :)

- B

vinyljunkie67

Apr 14, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Congrats, bud! You've come a long way from buying your first pin! haha... thanks again for the beer :)

- B

I remember telling Jeff (level42) that I wanted to get one game that didn't need any repairs so I could play at home after work. Wasn't I back at your place four months later hauling away another one? Slippery slope indeed.

Barry, it was great to meet you too! Thanks again for explaining Demolition Man to me. I passed the info on to anyone else I played with. Those trigger combos really do add up

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
It's not that hard and the points you get can double your score!

No you can't.

Playing with the handles only adds to your overall bonus and nothing else. It doesn't change the regular scoring within the game.

At the end of your bonus you'll see "Handle Combos" and that is the extra points you get from using the handles.

I play with them cause I've always played Demoman with the handles and that is what I'm used to, but most people don't on the competition scene for the simple fact that yea you are missing out on points, but you get more points being able to keep the ball in play then you do if you can't.

fantasygoat

Apr 19, 2015
Toronto, ON
There's also the secret points that are timed. Hard to take your hands off the regular buttons to hit the thumb buttons to claim those. Free jackpot in multiball, free ACMAG, etc.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
There's also the secret points that are timed. Hard to take your hands off the regular buttons to hit the thumb buttons to claim those. Free jackpot in multiball, free ACMAG, etc.

They're not timed.....

You get 1 secret jackpot during MB at any time during the MB

You get 1 during the acmag (which no one ever plays in tournaments unless the claw is disabled)

You get one during capture Simon

and sometimes you can get one from the MB start hole when not starting MB.

The players I've seen have less problems reaching up quickly to hit those buttons for those specific situations then playing on the handles.

vinyljunkie67

Apr 14, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
I had a huge bonus in the playoffs for using the triggers that scored me around 200 mil. Didn't mean to start a shitstorm here, but I'm not a seasoned enough player to reach up and slap those buttons during multiball to get the last jackpot. I was quite comfy using them too, hitting ramp combos (the claw was disabled). Maybe it's just because I hadn't really played a DM before