• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Suggestions for modern vintage feel?

michael84

Jun 6, 2023
NC, USA
Hello! My dad is turning 75 in a few weeks. He speaks fondly of his glory days as the champion of the local Student Prince pinball machine (1968). He never buys anything for himself, so I want to get him a pinball machine for his birthday. It seems unrealistic to find and acquire an actual Student Prince, but I'd be happy with a more modern game that managed to retain some of that vintage flavor that will take him back. Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks!
- Michael

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
If you go the EM route be prepared to roll up your sleeves and fix it, even it is working 100% when you buy it, simply moving it home and setting it up could introduce new problems.

Modern games with an old vibe would include the series of games Stern released with the same playfield, just different art, Primus, Big Juicy Melons and Pabst Can Crusher. I'd throw Sterns Beatles in the mix as an old vibe game with modern LCD and game play. And if you happen to have SUPER deep pockets Sterns new SLE James Bond is a pretty awesome throw back game too. A game that doesn't fit your timeline is the recently announced Pulp Fiction, but we won't be seeing those roll of the assembly line for a while now.

Looks like they made a bunch of Student Princes, around 3,500 of them, and their estimated value is pretty low so maybe a Wanted ad on pinside may net you something for that specific game? You're in the states, so getting your hands on it will be a lot easier than having to worry about shipping it up to Canada... where most of the users on this site are from.

LOCK-IS-LIT

Jan 5, 2022
SWO
Based n his age he would have grown up in the era of westerns and if he is a fan then a Cactus canyon would fit the bill really nicely, otherwise a MM or an AFM or maybe an IJPA would be all great choices for some classic pinball with killer themes. Good luck, hope he enjoys whatever you decide on.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
My vote is Whoa Nellie with the fruit crate bottom.
Very eye catching.
Only a single player, so keep that in mind.
May want a Wizard! if he has people over often.
Otherwise, buy an investment pin and 'store' it at his home Indefinitely.
Your area, you may be able to find a service to just rent a pin for a few months and have them swap it out a few times. EM rental should be way cheaper than NiB rental.

Last edited:

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
Mid to late 70s solid state game? A little more action but some still have old school chimes and simple rules. Think Strikes and Spares, 8-Ball, Mata Hari or Bobby Orr. It is also a much more affordable option than a modern game and is truly a retro.

Reactions: IVPinball

Mike Walsh

Aug 12, 2017
C.B.S. , Newfoundland
Mid to late 70s solid state game? A little more action but some still have old school chimes and simple rules. Think Strikes and Spares, 8-Ball, Mata Hari or Bobby Orr. It is also a much more affordable option than a modern game and is truly a retro.
I agree! I would also ad Joker Poker. The solid State version for that EM charm but with the reliability of Solid State!

Reactions: IVPinball