• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Strange Science project...going to need a helping hand.

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
Thanks Drano, yes, i see the french notes and that makes more sense now. Everything is working pretty well now except for a couple of bad light sockets which i will replace when i can find them . Another issue still on the table is the main backglass light. I put in an led bulb and it does work during play but only flashes during play but does not stay on as it should. I only realized that this was the case after watching some videos of the game online and the light stays on all the time and flashes when needed during games. I pulled the small relay board out and checked it for cold solder joints and bad connections but all seems fine. Any components on the board that i should be testing ? I havent pulled out the main power board yet to check for bad solder joints as Doug recommended but will.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Check that main power board for sure. Wouldn't surprise me if you found a LOT of cold solder on that PCB, and the vibrations in the game could likely be causing them to connect and flash that lamp.

Also, if you're trying to find original lamp sockets for any bad ones on the PF don't bother. They are junk and I don't think anyone makes or carries them, just switch the bad ones out for #44 style bayonets.

D

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
Ahhhh the memories.
My first full shop job and game rebuild.
Backbox bulb was working when I had it.
I didn't make it to the playfield sockets before shipping it off to Drano.

I wouldn't say what you have now is a project game by any means.
However it sure was a project before I put 30+ hours into it!

This game definitely spent a lot of time around cigarette smoke.
While the machine is long gone, I did keep the ashtray that I removed from the right side of the cab :eek:

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
Hey guys , been crazy busy at work but finally have had a bit of time on this. Ive done a full teardown and cleaning of the playfield , rebuilt the flippers and replaced the flipper bats and other missing or incorrect rubbers, screws, bolts etc. Full leds. Playing sooo much nicer now, its like day and night. Fixed some of the hacks, rebuilt the sling mechs and a few others. Still have a few small issues. The center bulb in the backglass is still only lighting in flash sequence with the topper but is not on all the time like it is supposed to be. I pulled and inspected the power board for broken or cold solder joints Doug as you suggested but everything looks really good. Wiggled all components and no movement and the joints all look good. Is this enough to verify good joints or should i reflow anyways just in case ? Also have some faint noise and have isolated it to the volume pot on the door. Anyone know what replacement pot i can buy for this ? Hoping i can get a replacement at Sayal maybe ?
This game definitely spent a lot of time around cigarette smoke.
While the machine is long gone, I did keep the ashtray that I removed from the right side of the cab :eek:
You are not kidding !! I have never seen a machine so yellow in every corner from cigarette smoke !! It was just nasty when i tore down the playfield. I can only imagine what it was like before you did your thing to it !

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
Wondering if this could be the problem with the main backbox light. If im reading the schematic properly , the two red wires coming directly from the light socket should be connected to j2 on the relay board but its on j3 . Am i getting this totally wrolight pic.jpg light schematic.jpg ng ? Dont want to try messing with it until i get some feedback.
light pic.jpg

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I would say you are correct with the connectors, they are swapped on that PCB vs. the schematics. Now that isn't to say the schematics are correct though, as I've seen misprints before. I would think you could swap those two connectors without issue, but it will reverse the operation of the backbox bulb and the neon topper. Which means the neon topper is currently on all the time right now? (and is that how it should be or no?) I don't know the game well enough to know...

D

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
Thanks Doug, the topper deoes appear to stay on but im not exactly sure if thats what it is supposed to do either as i dont know this game real well. So you figure im safe switching the connectors to see what it does ?

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
Ok, decided to change the connections and the display is lighting as it should !! Success !! Its showing like it should . Feels good to feel like you are learning !

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
It really does feel good when you have checked the obvious with no luck but start delving into schematics that your starting to learn and find a tough fix ..... sorry for the post.... but it feels good ! Feels like im truly starting to learn something worthy !!

Reactions: Menace

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
It really does feel good when you have checked the obvious with no luck but start delving into schematics that your starting to learn and find a tough fix ..... sorry for the post.... but it feels good ! Feels like im truly starting to learn something worthy !!

I cannot stress how important it is for anyone that owns a game to make sure they have the schematics for it. You never know when someone will need it, and I can guarantee *someone* will need it at some point for a repair.

Nice catch on the connector swap, and it's the little things like this that make pin repair so rewarding.

D

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
You are not kidding !! I have never seen a machine so yellow in every corner from cigarette smoke !! It was just nasty when i tore down the playfield. I can only imagine what it was like before you did your thing to it !

Here's a pic from my initial cleaning in 2014: o_O
IMG_1933.jpg

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
Looks like it had not been cleaned in a little while huh ? lol Here is a few shots of how its looking now all polished up and with leds. Also removed the two bolts that were in the front of the cabinet, filled and applied black vinyl . Turned out pretty nice. Tried to attach a short video from my phone but cant figure out how to do it. IMG_20170225_152227.jpg IMG_20170225_152241.jpg IMG_20170225_152246.jpg IMG_20170214_194947.jpg IMG_20170211_131304.jpg

Reactions: Menace

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
Thanks Doug. Few more things to do but overall its playing pretty nice. 100% better than when it arrived. Burnt my hand pretty bad at work so taking a break to let it heal .

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Man... that's looking sweet! Almost has me missing the old girl ;)
Oh well, can't keep them all.

Sweet work on touching up that front panel!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I think when I get my CC'd Special Force playfield all back together I'm going to need to address the cab... maybe some custom art? Or stick with original?

D