• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Stern star wars

staydown

Jan 31, 2017
Niagara region
mrs is dead set on getting one and we are going to "test" one tomorrow... anyone have one and would give good reason not to buy?

She is a die hard Star Wars fan and we have movie themed pins currently and the colour scheme works so would need a real good reason not to buy.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I haven't played the game yet, but I'm also a big enough Star Wars fan that it's on my radar. I've resolved to wait though, for a few reasons:
1-I like the premium artwork over the pro/LE
2-They'll be making premiums for a while
3-The longer you wait, the more you'll see whether the code develops
4-The longer you wait, the better the odds are that manufacturing issues will get sorted out
5-The longer you wait (with the way things are going these days), the dollar might get stronger, and the game might be cheaper
6-I'm also thinking about getting a Dialed In, which by most accounts is a better game. Points 1-5 also apply to that one though.

staydown

Jan 31, 2017
Niagara region
All good points but... Mrs wants... lol.

Actually played a few games today and was quite enjoyable.

That wasn't you there today around 11?

ibjeepin

Sep 18, 2013
Toronto
I own a DE SW and I like the franchise, but for me when I found out the Stern SW was designed by Steve Ritchie, I had to have one. I have loved Ritchie pins for 30 years. My business partner is a SW fan big time and Told me never to Sell my DE SW. Well that changed today. It got moved out of the lineup after we spent 3-4 hours playing my SWLE which I picked up today. We love it, and the Star wars stereo music, callouts and video are fantastic. Gameplay is fast and crazy at times. still figuring out the rules, which are a bit complex but not necessary to have fun with the machine. The more you learn and the deeper you get into the game the better its been getting.

Reactions: Chambahz

staydown

Jan 31, 2017
Niagara region
Was lots of fun playing and we felt it was very interactive. Putting the deposit down Monday for hopefully pick up before the long weekend. It should round out the collection nicely though the mrs does like the ghost busters machine too which will become an issue for our set up unless we sell another machine as the game space is only 3 machines wide.

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Been putting lots of hours on my new LE (arrived Thursday) and really, really enjoying it.
Have to say though, this is a really fast, very difficult pin.
If that's not a problem for you, I suggest going for it.
The LE models are not worth the extra cost compared to a Premium version, but I have no regret with my purchase.
Love, love, love it.

ibjeepin

Sep 18, 2013
Toronto
Been putting lots of hours on my new LE (arrived Thursday) and really, really enjoying it.
Have to say though, this is a really fast, very difficult pin.
If that's not a problem for you, I suggest going for it.
The LE models are not worth the extra cost compared to a Premium version, but I have no regret with my purchase.
Love, love, love it.

how did you setup your pin, are you having a lot of drains out the outlanes? it was a frustrating day today, literally did not get a flipper on the ball at times with double flushes..... but love the le, upgraded to .89 today and there are differences. But my machine lost its backbox speakers today. A little pissed its broken twice now in 24 hours.

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Yeah, I closed the outlanes as much as possible, and it's still a drain monster. And yes, there are occasions when it drains nearly immediately, and then the ball save gets launched, only to fly down one of the outlanes, without ever touching a flipper.
So is it tough? Yes. Without a doubt. And even to the point of frustrating, from the never-ending chirps from Yoda!!!
: )

ibjeepin

Sep 18, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, I closed the outlanes as much as possible, and it's still a drain monster. And yes, there are occasions when it drains nearly immediately, and then the ball save gets launched, only to fly down one of the outlanes, without ever touching a flipper.
So is it tough? Yes. Without a doubt. And even to the point of frustrating, from the never-ending chirps from Yoda!!!
: )

Freakin glad its not just me! I am ordering some superbands for that area. I did watch a video recently guys playing it at stern. They shook the machine quite a bit to keep it from draining out the sides.

staydown

Jan 31, 2017
Niagara region
i am going to order a shaker motor for my machine. from PL in the US, but dont need more than one, anyone want to do a group buy?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3710

buy 2 and its 15% off buy 4 and it 25 6 - 35%

I bought one for my ST Pro a while back and it been great.

Did you buy this kit for your ST pro as it isnt listed as suitable games? Wonder if it would also work for my transformers..

If it would, I would be in for 3 myself.

I was going to be ordering pingulps for my machines too.

ibjeepin

Sep 18, 2013
Toronto
Did you buy this kit for your ST pro as it isnt listed as suitable games? Wonder if it would also work for my transformers..

If it would, I would be in for 3 myself.

I was going to be ordering pingulps for my machines too.

No the rev b version was for st pro and a whole bunch of other pins.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Finally got a chance to get a few games on this last night, and I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be. I'm still not sure what I'm doing in most cases, but I put up a few 300M+ games on the latest code. Some of those shots are really tight-I couldn't hit the Death Star consistently, and that right scoop is a really late shot-but the ramps are backhand-able, which seems to be a SR thing. I'd really like to get a few more hours with this game to start figuring it out.

The A/V in the game seems pretty uneven though. The movie clips seem to work really well, as do the movie callouts, but anything they got that was custom just seems...bad? With the number of SW characters they could have used (even soundalikes), I'm not sure who that's even supposed to be. Could be General Dodona maybe (if so, it's a bad one)?

Also, is it just me, or are some of the recent Stern games going away from Multiball all the time? Ghostbusters definitely de-emphasizes a standard MB in favour of mode progression, and on Star Wars, I wasn't even sure how to start a "main" MB. Obviously, Aerosmith has its MB hook, but SW and GB seem to be going in a different direction. Nothing wrong with that, but just an observation.

ibjeepin

Sep 18, 2013
Toronto
Chris,
Yeah I am in a bunch of games as well and still dont understand the rules. As I am not a tournament player nor a "pro", but someone that loves pins and had them for over 30 years. I do enjoy this machine very much. Just playing it with the music, callouts, shot difficulty and ball speed it gets my blood going! Just like the movies! Everytime I try to concentrate on the screen objectives it seems I score poorly. When I just play rules loose I do well. I still have not figured out why some games are an insane score where others that I played much longer are poor?
In my opinion its a difficult game to play and has made improvements in my play on other machines like STPRO etc.

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Also, is it just me, or are some of the recent Stern games going away from Multiball all the time?

Starwars has at least 6 different multiballs:
3 planet multiballs (the sausage inserts) -complete all three missions for each planet to qualify the related Planet multiball.
Deathstar multiball -same as above.
TieFighter multiball. Destroy a certain number of tiefighters (35 for the first 1?) to start tie-fighter multiball.
Hyperspace multiball (coolest one in my opinion -at least on the Premium/LE versions). Complete the four inlanes to light the left orbit and the right ramp (insert will light as yellow). Complete either shot, then make the deathstar ramp shot before the timer runs out. Complete a 2nd time for the Hyperspace multiball.

I assume the wizard mode is a multiball (not certain as I've not made it there yet) and possibly the lightsaber duel once it's added, but also unknown presently.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I guess the difference there is that each of those multiballs are a little harder to start than something like Light Cycle on Tron, couch on TSPP, Magneto on XM, etc. They're rewards for completing certain objectives, and not necessarily an objective on their own. Maybe it makes more sense now that physical ball locks are basically done?