• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Spooky Scoreboard - testers wanted

gregcube

May 19, 2020
Hamilton
scoreboard.web.net
I'm looking for testers to help me test this project I've been working on: https://github.com/gregcube/spooky_scoreboard_daemon

I currently have it working on my Halloween CE with the "UP" computer board. Unfortunately, I don't have any other Spooky games to test with. I'm interested in knowing what differs with the mini-PC used in later Halloween builds and possibly other Spooky games(?). The installation instructions/script will likely need to be adapted for mini-PC Linux device names, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm also curious if other Spooky games follow the same sort of setup as Halloween. My Halloween runs a version of Arch Linux with kernel 4.11.5 (super dated). Game executable and assets are located in /game; audits are in a JSON file; high scores in a config file, etc.

If you own a Spooky game and want to test, I'd be happy to assist in getting set up.

gregcube

May 19, 2020
Hamilton
scoreboard.web.net
Now works with WiFi! Ethernet no longer required. I recommend a wifi adapter that uses the RTL8188EUS chipset because the kernel is so dated. I've updated the instructions on the project page. Anyone wanna partake? It's *sort of* like stern insider connect, but for Spooky games!

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Newmarket, Ontario. Canada
Neat. I don't have a Spooky game to participate. I've thought about hijacking the data written to store scores by using a NodeMCU mini wireless to parse the data, format it to JSON and send it to a scoreboard server. I've seen some previous work analyzing NVRAM where they were able to establish where the data is being written.

gregcube

May 19, 2020
Hamilton
scoreboard.web.net
Neat. I don't have a Spooky game to participate. I've thought about hijacking the data written to store scores by using a NodeMCU mini wireless to parse the data, format it to JSON and send it to a scoreboard server. I've seen some previous work analyzing NVRAM where they were able to establish where the data is being written.
I was working on something like that for my data east machines. I got as far as building a very simple circuit, taking the NVRAM out, popping that into the circuit and reading the high scores off it; however, I couldn't figure out how to safely integrate that circuit into the running pinball machine. Plus I didn't want to fry my data east boards trying, not really knowing what I'm doing. That's beyond my electronic expertise; I'm just a beginner when it comes to electrical circuits and whatnot. Spooky turned out to be much easier in that it's just a Linux computer.