1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spiroagnew's SPRAY & PRAY Cabinet Re-Stenciling

Discussion in 'Projects & Mods' started by spiroagnew, Oct 29, 2015.

1. DRANO

DRANO Well-Known Member

She's come a long way! Figuratively as well as literally.
    Simply a beautiful game. Good on you for saving it!

2. spiroagnew

spiroagnew Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Drano's GTB Sweet Hearts

Another of Drano's games gets a facelift. Sweet Hearts' geometric design is elegant in its simplicity, but it's obvious Gottlieb was assigning cabinet designs with disregard for the game's overall theme. Otherwise, there should have been some hearts on here somewhere, right? It got lightning bolts and stars instead. This one used a very light grey webbing effect, rather than the much darker grey that's normally used on this era and later Gottlieb games.

The nice weather is working in my favour. I thought I'd need to rush to squeeze a couple of my own projects in before the cold weather hit, but at this rate, I'll be spraying cabs in my shorts 'til Christmas!

000-pins7.jpg

000-pins6.jpg

000-pins5.jpg

000-pins4.jpg

000-pins2.jpg

000-pins3.jpg

WARLOCK likes this.
  3. DRANO

DRANO Well-Known Member

Woohoo! My Spiro-cab collection will soon be the envy of most any man ;)

Should post a before pic. This one was especially tired.

Thanks again!

4. spiroagnew

Staff Member

I never remember to take before pics....

5. spiroagnew

Staff Member

spiroagnew's STERN Big Game

The good weather continues, so I decided to give my Big Game a fresh coat of paint. I picked this game up from Allentown this year at a steal of a price, but the game needed some love (as they all do). I recently touched up the playfield, and Drano cleared it, so I figured I'd go whole hog and get the cabinet looking good as well. I didn't use a commercial stencil kit this time, I cut my own. Stern's stencil work back in the early solid state era was pretty...well...shitty (compared to Bally)...so the stencils are pretty forgiving. I like the different colours Stern chose for their base; green here on Big Game, purple for Ali, a deep navy for Nine Ball, etc., and they really stand out among the reds and blacks used by Bally. Anyhow, I'm hoping to get ONE MORE cabinet done before the snow flies, a Bally Kiss...however I'm patiently waiting for Pinball Pimp to make the stencils commercially available (the site says "Coming Soon" and has for quite some time). I'm currently working on the re-assembling the Big Game playfield, and I'll post some pictures once the game is complete.

000-pins2.jpg

000-pins3.jpg

000-pins5.jpg

000-pins4.jpg

WARLOCK and DRANO like this.
  6. spiroagnew

Staff Member

Even though I have not been very active myself lately, I'll do my part and post a little original content in this thread (and break up the steady stream of FS and WTB ads the site is now known for).

spiroagnew's Bally KISS

I've been wanting a Kiss for many years, as long as I've been collecting. I can remember playing one in my Uncle's garage as a kid (he also had an EM upstairs in the guest room) so even though the gameplay isn't aces by any stretch of the imagination (light spinners, rip spinners, don't drain), I'm a fan of Kiss' music output, I love the artwork and I have a bit of a soft spot for it.

The game had always been a bit cost prohibitive, given its status as "the Ultimate Kiss Kollectable" (Uncle Gene Simmons' words, not mine). This particular game popped up on Kijiji last fall--a few are probably familiar with it. The playfield was beat and so was the cabinet, but the game played well enough. I immediately jumped it in the restore queue. I did some playfield touchups (okay, a lot of playfield touchups) and then sent it to Drano for some finishing touches (the rub-on text he's covered in his "Stern Sisters" thread) and a nice clearcoat. It turned out absolutely beautiful.

As for the cabinet, I was running out of fall weather to paint by. Since the original cabinet required some major work to the bottom, and the game was certainly a keeper, I sourced a stripped, filled and primed Bally cabinet (Lost World or Super Sonic, I think?) to stand in for the Kiss cabinet. The inside rails that the playfield sits upon were a bit different from the donor cab to Kiss, and it just needed a section of the inside wood rail removed in order to accommodate the left side Kiss drop targets. Having a cab already primed made the project a breeze. I'll probably end up using the original Kiss cabinet somewhere down the road.

20180212_171910.jpg

20180212_171923.jpg

20180212_171938.jpg

As luck would have it, I got one of the first few sets of Kiss stencils that Pinball Pimp made available...he was just finishing getting them licensed by Kiss as I was getting ready to paint. Like all of his stuff, they are absolutely beautiful and are a dream to work with. In Kiss' case, there is no coin door stencil to use--the orange side stencil wraps right around to the coin door, so no more fussing to get the art to line up...it's a real neat touch to make the cab look its best and simplify the process.

pimp.jpg

http://pinballpimpstencils.com/?page_id=3917

Again, I decided to do this at the most opportune time: as PPS released a repro glass for Kiss right in the middle of this restoration. The game came with the European/German glass with the rounded "S" and was flaking in some areas, so I decided to spring for a new glass. PPS/Outside Edge did a nice job on the glass, and reproduced the mirroring effect well (which is key for this game--BG Resto just uses a grey colour to sub in for the mirror effects on his glasses). I installed a set of Pinitech UNO displays, in white, I think they look killer, and promote the chrome/steel feel on the backglass.

000-pins2.jpg

000-pins3.jpg

WARLOCK likes this.
  7. spiroagnew

Staff Member

spiroagnew's Bally KISS con't

I didn't get glamour shots outside, as winter rolled in quire quickly...here's a few shots from the gameroom. I sprung for a new set of siderails for this game. I've been pretty lucky saving rails throught the years, but I figured it would save some work, and be the cherry on top. This should be it until the spring for cabinet painting!

20180212_134909.jpg

20180212_134938.jpg

20180212_135006.jpg

20180212_135108.jpg

20180212_135020.jpg

20180212_135041.jpg

WARLOCK and DRANO like this.
  8. eh97ac

eh97ac Active Member

Sexy! :drool:

9. GUARD

GUARD Member

Very nice!

10. DRANO

DRANO Well-Known Member

That turned out great!! I might actually enjoy playing a KISS now ;)