• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

SmartDMD Metallica Teaser Video

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Welp, for those that wanted some competition for ColorDMD I think you've found your answer. Now the only thing to do is wait and see if MikeD offers his at a more competitive price. :)

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
PMD SmartDMD kits will retail for $300 and will include the following items:

1) 15.6” Full HD LG/Philips color LED display
a. Screen resolution = 1920x1080
b. Exceptional black levels
2) LG/Philips LCD driver board with HDMI source input
3) Raspberry Pi B+
4) Preprogrammed 4GB micro SD card
5) Custom SmartDMD Interface board
6) Professional ¼” laser cut black acrylic mounting hardware
7) Licensed copy of custom colorization software
a. Supports up to 16 different customizable colors per pallet
b. Supports up to 32 unique color pallets per game
c. Each fame can be assigned its own color pallet
8) Professional power wiring harness
9) Electronic copy of detailed installation manual

I'm sure this kit will be very well put together just like his Creech Hologram LCD mod which I installed last week.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Well there you go... Already $100 cheaper and MikeD gives you the APK to essentially colourize ANY game you like. I might jump on a kit to play around with.

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Another user asked if the Metallica ramp shot letters could be made red to match the flashers and MikeD replied with this:

I'm structuring the pallet layouts in an attempt to make this MOD extremely versatile. This way the colors utilized in many of the animations can be customized if desired, just swap the original colors out with the ones you like.

You don't have to spend hours reworking the dots because I've already don't that for you. The pallet info is stored on the MOD's SD card, so it can be modified in a matter of minutes via Pinball Browser. Here's a quick example:

Base image:

Base image with new colors for 5, 8, 9 and 10:

So, with a few mouse clicks the car is blue instead of red and the flames are completely different. These changes would apply to any frames/sequences using the "fuel" pallet. Anyway, you get the idea.

Like all PMD MOD's I want this product to be customizable, so the end consumer can tweak it and make their DMD look the way they want. The same thing is true for the dots. If you don't like the upscaled look, just select "None" for the Upscaling feature and you're back to good old dots.

The SmartDMD Configuration Tool (see the screen shot in my previous post) give’s the end use the ability to adjust many aesthetic features. These adjustments are all stored on the MOD’s SD card, so they can be made very quickly and independently of the pinball machine. Here’s a list of some basic features that the end user can easily customize via the PB Configuration Tool:
1) Color Mode – standard dots vs. upscaled dots. You simply select or unselect the “Upscaling” feature, it’s that simple

2) Dot shape – each DMD dot is built using an 8x8 pixel array. You can customize the appearance of your dots by selecting or unselecting any of the 64 blocks in this 8x8 grid. You can make your dots squares, circles, diamonds, checkerboards, you name it. FYI - this applies for both Color Modes.

3) Pallet Colors – You can change the pallet colors as you see fit. Keep in mind that the end result is heavily dependent on how the person colorizing the game chose to structure their pallet layouts. Personally, I try to structure my pallets with customization in mind. Nothing is perfect, but it’s a cool concept and it gives the end user some leeway when tweaking their own game’s color settings.

More software features are always being developed (FYI - this applies to all of our MODs). Or course, any future soft enhancements will be free.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Hmmm.... So this isn't a tool to colourize each frame that is display but merely a way to adjust the colour palette of what's being output to the display? I'll have to do some more research into this...

D