• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Six Degrees of separation

singlezero

Jul 10, 2014
Orillia ontario
Just wanted to introduce myself. Ive been a member for about 4 months without posting anything but thought id say hi. How does one become a "pinhead" and how did i get here in the first place.

it all started about 2 years ago when i was given a crappy 4x8 pool table from an insurance claim . i was told if i could remove it i could have it. free is free right? .. anyways it stood on its side(one of the advantages of a slatetron table!!) in my much smaller shop for about 9 months before i moved my business to a much larger shop. first thing to do was set up the table . well this whetted the appetite yet it was merely a tease. i had gained considerable snooker time during my days in college and prior at some of the 3 pool halls(all now defunct) in my home town of Orillia ON .. and not having the capacity to play snooker didnt sit well , so i started looking for a 6*12 table and researching what i wanted and getting something within budget too.Ended up with a Brunswick Gold Crown 1 1963 and had it professionally installed by Pat from GTA Billiards with tournament cloth. Sweet table and it seems i have a friend or two that had college reminiscent days of snooker too.

Anyways as the snooker seemed to be quite popular i found the pseudo paint pool hall parlour seemed to be lacking something to try and mimmick that old home away from home l feeling and i dont mean the chuckwagons put in a toaster oven when you were playing a best of seven.

i started looking for a pinball machine. I found a Surf Champ within an hour away at a reasonable price and decided to go take a look and after playing it bought it. Now one of the things i let slip in discussing pins was that i wouldnt mind getting a supersonic... and if Ted didnt know a fellow over in Collingwood that had one so i was quick to call and well Bruce was busy for the next few days but we thought we could get together in a week and if a Hot Shot didnt come available in Toronto in the meantime and i figured if anyone wanted to play 8 ball in my snooker hall theyd have to do it on a pinball machine because i wasnt allowing 8 ball balls on my tournament cloth.

that was about 6 months ago and now i find i have a small collection

1976 surf Champ
1979 Bally Supersonic
1973 Hot Shot (actually i think this is my playing favourite)
1979 Gottlieb Genie (non working)
1975 4 million BC
1959 Batting Practice
1987 Monte Carlo
1963 Bowling Queen(Beautiful Machine!)
1941 keeney sky ray
1974 williams triple Action(non working)
1979 Gottlieb Totem

as well as

mid 60s Irving Kaye Jokers Wild (every wannabe pool halls essential!)
1972 Midway Bulls eye Dart game(non working)

With that being said , i also found my girlfriend and i taking in the ottawa Pinball show last weekend . I think the highlight of my girlfriends weekend was going to The House of Targ Friday night .She commented that Punk ,Pinball and Perogies was a lot more attractive than mine own Pinball,Painting and Pool concept(and a lot more busy!

Nice to meet some other pinheads too!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Wow, you just started collecting and you already have a pre-flipper game. Cool!
Welcome to PREV and thanks for the story.