• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

FS PIN2DMD replacement colour LED DMDs - regular size, small DE displays - large SEGA displays

dnaman

Oct 1, 2014
London, Canada
Thanks Dino

I think that one of those two pin tops are mine ;)

Thanks or hooking me up with these. It looks like you are, or are going to be a hit with the community!

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
The video of the MET is my old machine and I shot that video... it is not a very good representation of what the displays look like... the displays are much brighter and the colours are much better, that video looks really washed out but in reality it looks amazing.

Dino Z.

Apr 3, 2015
Pickering
www.cdnpin2dmd.ca
roar and I have started a discussion. He will be schooling me on what it takes to get MET working with these displays. I've reached out to the guy on Pinside that did the colour work. He's offering up the necessary files for $10 USD per person which is completely reasonable. There are a few other steps that need to be taken to make this work. Once roar explains it all to me, I can report back.

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
roar and I have started a discussion. He will be schooling me on what it takes to get MET working with these displays. I've reached out to the guy on Pinside that did the colour work. He's offering up the necessary files for $10 USD per person which is completely reasonable. There are a few other steps that need to be taken to make this work. Once roar explains it all to me, I can report back.

lol... looking forward to it Dino :)

The evo boards have the appropriate pins on it, near the top middle, I believe marked TX/RX/G, just need to make up a serial cable that plugs into the SAM motherboard on the MET, flash the firmware on the MET with a new BIN created with PinballBrowser, add a pin2dmd.pal file to your card on the PIN2DMD and bob's your uncle... easy peasy :)

Reactions: Rosco

Dino Z.

Apr 3, 2015
Pickering
www.cdnpin2dmd.ca
Just a quick update. I am currently cleaned out of displays. I have the parts on order to build another 30. There might be a handful of those available after the first "pre-orders" are taken care of. Delivery of those could be be mid-December if not a bit earlier.

If you are interested, drop me a line and I will add you to the list.

Thanks!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Just released today

Rollercoaster Tycoon

RollCosTy.gif.e2ebe2f6da607545f94b7ef80d41f1f0.gif

1652305305_ParkTycoon.gif.60ceeb4fe7ec0fc4b4c24ff3f848fec8.gif

Multiball.gif.c480d318b125258ad60ccee33edcd64e.gif

392622524_ParkMap.thumb.gif.b001916997ab6196d19d06594c3194d7.gif

Also there is a new public beta 0.15 update for The Getaway too.

EvanDickson

Aug 8, 2015
Charlottetown
vpuniverse has separate files for real pinball vs virtual pinball. Are these actually interchangeable? Or will the virtual ones only work on a virtual pin?

Dino Z.

Apr 3, 2015
Pickering
www.cdnpin2dmd.ca
Apparently there is some difference. I'm not sure what it is yet but guys say that something is definitely different. Interesting that they will offer up the virtual files for free no problem but charge for the files for real pins. I guess you could always try them and see what happens.

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
Virtual files only work on virtual pins... those are often offered for free I assume because VPin people are some of the cheapest people on the planet and no one would pay for them :). To be a little more diplomatic I'd say that the VPin community is very much... community based for lack of a better way to put it. They give freely of their time to make the whole community better, information is shared and assets provided without money changing hands, when someone does put their hand out looking for money or charging to provide the 'free' files it is met with great disdain. So contributions like that aren't unusual. I know I donated cash to some of the colour rom providers when I was running a VPin to show some appreciation for the creators time but that wasn't the norm I'd say.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Decided to dust off my TAF and try one of these pin2dmd displays out :)

IMG_20191124_180314.jpg

IMG_20191124_191402.jpg

Keep in mind you might see some miscolored frames because I am running the Gold version rom in my regular TAF. The author who colorized this using a dump from the regular L-7 rom likely. You can see most of the game looks great in color and I didn't notice any lag from game play to display. Here is a 6.5 minute video I just shot of it in action:

I will dust off my Creech, STTNG, Flintstones, Shadow and Indy500 later this week and shoot game play videos of those.

Reactions: Dino Z.

dnaman

Oct 1, 2014
London, Canada
Thanks for sharing the new library release pics Mike!

My displays are here (thanks Dino) and I have decided to order the libraries for AFM and TSPP. ($25 USD /ea) and I will pick up some micro SD cards tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing these in action.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Just remember to rename the files these authors give you before copying to your sdcard. For example, The Addams Family were:

taf 1.18.fsq and taf 1.18.pal

I renamed both to this:

pin2dmd.fsq and pin2dmd.pal

Due to the limitation of FAT32, Windows system doesn't support to create a FAT32 partition more than 32GB. As a result, you cannot directly format a storage device that is more than 32GB to FAT32.

Here is a free formatting tool I used on my 128gb sdcard I pulled from my go pro. It made it FAT32 instead of extFAT which will not work in your pin2dmd display.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat-x64.Exe