• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

repaired my pinball, ready to fire, but got questions

jouellet

Jan 2, 2016
Edmonton Canada
Hi folks,

I have a KISS pinball that I'm about to fire up, after being "parked" for 15 years...

I have replaced all the boards (except the sound board) with new generation boards. (from Alltek, pinscore, etc ...). I also replaced all the bulbs with their LED equivalent. Most connectors have been replaced as well.

The only original components are the sound board and the actual transformer.

I'm pretty sure that I will need to replace all the capacitors on the sound board, but if I try to use it before replacing the caps, do you see any major potential problem ?

Also, the transformer being almost 40 years old (Kiss was built in 1978...) is it possible that it had dried over time or could be damage somehow ? any concern if I power it up ?

Any advise before I turn it ON ?

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
Transformer should be fine.

You could check the coil resistance to make sure nothing is shorted.

With all your new boards I am sure that the fuses are all correct?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Sound PCB will not cause any extra issues if it has bad caps. The worst thing that can happen is the sound PCB will not work at all, so no biggie. As Monkeybug mentioned, the transformer will be fine. Did you replace the small rectifer PCB along with all the other PCB's? That is the "heart" of the game and if it's original and hasn't been rebuilt or replaced you will likely have issues.

Just make sure all your fuse values and TYPE (very important) are correct and everything should be safe should anything go wrong. Fire it up and let us know how it goes! Good luck!

D

jouellet

Jan 2, 2016
Edmonton Canada
Menace: Yes, the rectifier board have been replaced as well.

Question: my old boards, they are probably fine, as last time the whole machine was powered up (15 yrs ago) , they were fine. It's just that I did not want to take any chance (and waste time trouble-shooting them, if required), so I ordered a replacement board for every board I could find a replacement for.

do you think it's worth money still ? Would it be worth to try to sell them ?

eh97ac

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga
Keep the boards. If you ever sell the game, some collectors want original boards. You can then move the replacements boards to the next game.

In the meantime, send the boards out to be done professionally.

Reactions: jouellet

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Menace: Yes, the rectifier board have been replaced as well.

Question: my old boards, they are probably fine, as last time the whole machine was powered up (15 yrs ago) , they were fine. It's just that I did not want to take any chance (and waste time trouble-shooting them, if required), so I ordered a replacement board for every board I could find a replacement for.

do you think it's worth money still ? Would it be worth to try to sell them ?

Depending on the condition the PCB's will have some value. But as eh97ac mentioned it might be a good idea to keep them as spares, and you can always send them out to have them fixed up and ready to go.

OH! One other thing I forgot to mention in my previous post. If you fire up your game and it's having issues, the most common problem with these games is bad connector pins. Replacing all the PCB's is one thing, but if you haven't done any of the connectors (specifically the J4 connectors on the MPU and Driver, and the rectifier connectors) you may still have issues to sort out.

Doug