• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Rent a pinball

ExportZ

Oct 10, 2021
Quebec
Hello,

I would like to have your opinion on renting a pinball machine.
I have a friend who loves pinball machines but he doesn't want to maintain them, doesn't want to worry about problems and he would like to change his pinball machine every year.

Like many others here, I am short on space and this would be an opportunity to temporarily exchange my pinball machines.

I will have to take care of the transport.
I will have to maintain it if necessary
The pin will be played between 500 and 1500 games

All things considered, how much is this type of rental worth for a premium Stern Spike 2?

Should I ask for a deposit in case of problems?
Should I ask for the full amount of the pinball machine and return it minus the rental amount at the end?

Thanks

ExportZ

Oct 10, 2021
Quebec
This is the reason why I could ask for the full amount of the pinball machine.

He has the money.

He doesn't want to worry about any details.

ExportZ

Oct 10, 2021
Quebec
Remember, he doesn't want to deal with the details. If he buys it from me, he will have to maintain it and sell it in 1 year.

And my pinballs are not for sale

Wildcats50

Oct 6, 2017
Whitby
If he wants to rent a game I’m sure they are retail locations that will do that

I would never do it as who knows what goes wrong and that person keeps playing it could be 100’s in repairs

Hammerbrother

Feb 17, 2019
Stoney Creek
When I had no room, one of my friends was happy to have a game to play for a few months. Since he is my friend, it never occurred to me to charge him a rental fee. He didn't charge me a storage fee either though so we're cool. Friends, am I right?

ExportZ

Oct 10, 2021
Quebec
He's a friend, not a close friend.
For me, friendship and money don't go well together.

From all the answers it seems there is no real good solution unless he buy a game from me or from a distro.

Reactions: Fleetwood mIkea

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
He should just buy new, and pay you to 1) repair when/if needed and 2) help broker a sale.

So he gets his new game, and you do all of the moving and support. Just agree on rates in advance and presto.

Reactions: ExportZ

Saltimbanco

May 24, 2020
National Capital Region
He should just buy new, and pay you to 1) repair when/if needed and 2) help broker a sale.

So he gets his new game, and you do all of the moving and support. Just agree on rates in advance and presto.
^^ What he said. ^^

And, generally speaking, what you were first proposing sounded bad from many angles. What if that friend (not even a close one as you mentioned) no longer answers your messages, goes away for a long while and you no longer have access to your own game, and what if your situation (or his) changes? How about the game being damaged/destroyed (fire, water, etc.) or stolen? Would you be at his becken call whenever a ball gets stuck? Some of the things to consider..

ExportZ

Oct 10, 2021
Quebec
^^ What he said. ^^

And, generally speaking, what you were first proposing sounded bad from many angles. What if that friend (not even a close one as you mentioned) no longer answers your messages, goes away for a long while and you no longer have access to your own game, and what if your situation (or his) changes? How about the game being damaged/destroyed (fire, water, etc.) or stolen? Would you be at his becken call whenever a ball gets stuck? Some of the things to consider..
That's why he offered to pay the full price up front.
Let's say 14k and I give it back 10 to 11k after 1 year.

At first it seems like a win-win to me, but after reading all the comments I guess it's not.