• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Ramp fabrication, which way to go?

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I may as well get the general opinion on my problem.
My DE Checkpoint is going to need a new ramp before I consider selling it (after I am done playing it to death).
The upkicker shooting the ball out onto the ramp a few times per ball really takes a toll. This has really done a number on the existing (repaired) ramp.
I have 2 basic fixes for this. Find a new ramp or pull out the current ramp and have a suitable copy fabricated.
I have previously contacted Pro-Fab Plastics in Brantford (closest to my location) when I had my Bally Atlantis for a drop target cover plastic at it was close to $100. They stated the CAD design was the huge cost and after the design was done copies shouldn't be too expensive. Although I still wonder about copyright especially for such a large ramp. Additionally, I don't see vacu-forming as viable as my ramp is repaired so any first off would need to be filed down or filled in to get a good smooth surface and re-formed.
My other option is having a wire form ramp fabricated. This would certainly be able to withstand the upkicker launching the ball onto the ramp (the form would need to correctly 'catch' the ball). This has two options I have seen: Wire form from the top of the ramp, wire form from started from the upkicker. The unfortunate part is I don't know of anyone who fabricates these ramps in Ontario. I certainly don't want to send my ramp off to California to get a wire form made and never see it again (had some troubles with other hobbies in the past and mailing things off). The ramp has some meandering, side to side movement and I don't know if it's a smart idea to be adding that to a wire form fabrication (I am pretty sure the speed check the game calls out is flipper activation to top of the ramp). I am unsure as to what the best option is as I would then be cutting and destroying the current ramp for this option.
I could use some input on either option. If there's an reputable/experienced shop out there for either option.

Thanks for the input,
Brad

mitch_a

Mar 2, 2014
Bamberg Ontario
Not sure which way to go but if you get a new one fabricated let me know. I would buy one off of you. I just also picked up a checkpoint and my rame is broken at the entrance, the middle where the ball drops onto it and at the end and is all duck taped together.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
Looks like in your case it appears you may need the entire ramp. Mine is a bit 'messy' where someone repaired the upkicker damage.
Who knows, you're pretty close to me. Maybe we could find someone to fabricate the whole ramp and just split the cost 50/50 and get 2 ramps.
A few more interested parties and we could get the cost down even more.

mitch_a

Mar 2, 2014
Bamberg Ontario
Lot of people on pinside looking for one. I just don't want to be in too too much mine is really beaten up. Trying to decide if I should fix it or part it out lol