• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Playfield Clearcoat in London

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
In the London area, has anyone had a playfield clearcoat done recently by someone that they recommend?

Also wondering about localized clearcoat touchups; will this work as well as an entire clearcoat system?

Attachments

• 74324-3-2.jpg
    74324-3-2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 235

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
The only guy I know in London that used to offer his CC and touch service has stopped taking on work. He opened the flood gates a number of years ago when his day job slowed down and got swamped. Needless to say his day job has since picked back up...

As for your question, G-man would certainly be able to answer your questions. (and likely Drano as well)

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
SuperJackpot used a roll or brush applied clear coat from this company called DiamondFinish but for wood I believe. He recently used it on the lower playfield of his Blackhole and turned out pretty good.

Diamond%20Finish%20Clear%20Big.jpg

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
Roll-on? I can't imagine that would work out to well.

I like the rattle can idea; something I can do without all the specialized equipment and reducers, etc. etc.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Hammerhead said:

I like the rattle can idea; something I can do without all the specialized equipment and reducers, etc. etc.

I think he used a brush but it turned out pretty good. Hopefully he will chime in and post some before and after pics.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
There are several products that can be brushed on with pretty good results. The trick is to use plenty of material (don't skimp) and lay it down nice and thick so it can self level.
There's a bit of talent required as you need to overlap your passes and avoid air bubbles. Use a nice wide new foam brush... not bristles.

I've used this technique with Varathane and I'm sure it's the same with this DiamondFinish stuff.
Of course, automotive 2-part clear is the gold standard... but in instances where that is not practical, the brush is a good option.
Remember that any almost any finish can be wet-sanded and buffed to a shine even if your topcoat does not come out perfect.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
mwong168 said:
Hammerhead said:

I think he used a brush but it turned out pretty good. Hopefully he will chime in and post some before and after pics.

Being a one part premixed ('1k') clearcoat makes this very handy. I used a foam brush and results were amazing. This product levels extremely well.

At the moment I don't have access to the few pictures I took. But I do know there are extensive photos in a restoration thread at this site http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/... by one of the main restoration gurus there. (Sorry, but I don't have the exact url right now either) This site is where I discovered the product. I do have these photos below pulled from that forum showing this clearcoat on a PF after it was buffed out with your basic automotive Meguiars product. It was also applied with a brush. In my application on the lower PF of BH, I never buffed it. It was that good. I do plan to do an entire PF with this product in the future.
KBS_2.png

KBS_1.png

I will provide links when I get a chance to dig them up. They are on the computer at home that has serious drive issues though :( so it may be a while. Try the au site in the interim.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Barry,
Could you let us know what local source you used to purchase this product?
Or did you order it from the US?

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
DRANO said:
Barry,
Could you let us know what local source you used to purchase this product?
Or did you order it from the US?

Their website: http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Clear-Coats.html You cannot order from here as they do not ship to Canada.

But here is the Canadian distributor for KBS. There are located a little north of the Toronto... forgot exactly where.

Syncon Products
Contact name: Lindsay
647-288-7079

I ordered their thinner too and will be trying this product thinned down and applied with an airbrush to use for touch ups.
I've already used this stuff applied with a basic artist's brush to add a layer of protection to the already pristine Shire on my LOTR. I will be using this technique to seal in some shooter lanes I plan to cleanup as well. I keep a bit of this handy in a small glass jar for just this kind of purpose. And next time this will replace the use of crazy glue to fill in chipped inserts.