• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pinball Hall of Fame/Annex, Las Vegas visit

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Did a quick getaway to Las Vegas for four nights with my wife, while the kid stayed with Grandpa. I’d been to Tim Arnold’s Pinball Hall of Fame about four years ago, and I’d obviously need to return for this trip. Left my wife by the pool at the Mirage (excellent property, awesome outdoor lounge areas) and hopped on the Deuce, then the 201 down Tropicana, to get to the HoF. The place appeared popular as it was noon on a weekday and there were plenty of people young and old dropping quarters in the machines. That being said, if you like credit dots and broken rubbers, this is the place for you. The majority of these machines have been ridden *hard*, and exponentially since I was last there. Lots out of commission too...Haunted House, Black Hole, Scared Stiff, Popeye to name a few. All of the EMs still looked to be in superb condition, but all of the games I played from the late-80s and early-90s seemed to garner little attention in the maintenance department. Perhaps these machines slip through the cracks–obviously the EMs get meticulous care and the newer Sterns have to be in good working order as they make the majority of the money (at 75 cents a crack), so some pins have to be ignored or neglected and it happened to be the games that I was there to play. Conversely, maybe the EMs are in such good shape because nobody is playing them...patrons are pumping the quarters into the very games I was interested in, thus wearing them ragged at a fevered pace. It was seemingly “simple” fixes like drop targets not scoring, ball hangups, and broken rubbers laying on the playfield. Tim is only one guy, I guess, and who can blame him for having wore out machines in a popular location while making little to no money doing so. If you have to choose between fixing the high-earning LotR near the door, or the crappy old Bad Cats near the back of the museum, it’s a no-brainer which one to shop. A select few of the machines needed to be pulled from the rotation completely (IMHO) as they were in such bad shape. There was a Firepower in the maintenance department when I was there–“maintenance department” meaning the disorganized area in the rear where it looked like Starburst threw up as there were parts on every square inch of surface. I played a decent example of a Cyclone, and racked up a bunch of credits that I had to leave behind (it was on 5-ball, as many machines were). Having a go at the Pinball Circus was also neat. Great concept for the game, and I would have loved to have seen it fully realized and fleshed out with all its proposed features packed onto the main playfield. However this game, as rare as it is, is showing its status as a must-play machine at the museum, as its getting the snot kicked out of it–lots of wear and bulbs hanging loose by their wires. The Circus sits in a row with the new Sterns and heavy hitters like MB/MM/CC.

Also had time to check out the PHoF Annex at the Riviera. Boy, is the Riviera a dump. The once-proud home of Wayne Newton is now a skeleton of its former self, and has clientele to match. Great place for an “annex”, right? This looks to be the place that Tim’s pinballs are sent to die. Again, the EMs here are in good shape...everything else is in worse condition than the stuff at the HoF proper. Non-EMs were Surfin’ Safari, Taxi, Nightmare on Elm Street, Tee’d Off, that pool pin that has the cueball on the playfield, NBA Fastbreak, NBA, LotR, WPT, CSI, IM, Family Guy and two or three others. Played the heck out of the Taxi that was there, as it was the best of the bunch and you just don’t see these around too often (less too in Canada, it seems). Circus Circus across the street, also a dump, has an extensive arcade, but no pins. Seems like putting the annex in CC would make more sense, or even finding a willing participant that could lend some space on Freemont, as it goes along with the old school vibe both parties are after. But here the pins were, languishing at the Riviera, awaiting death, much like poor souls playing the video poker machines.

I need not tell you that you the HOF is worth a visit, as any red blooded pinball player would be out of their mind to go all the way to Vegas and not go in for a quick peek. Skip the Riviera annex through. Interesting side-note: WMS gaming has a newer video slot out with an Aladdin theme that looks to be heavily influenced by the artwork from TOTAN, if not stealing the art altogether. Didn’t take a picture, sorry...but I took a couple basic ones from the PHOF/Annex that I’ll attach below.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Approaching from the bus stop just past the HOF.
IMG_1753.jpg

A neato "Goalee" hockey game that sits just inside the door. By Chicago Coin.
IMG_1754.jpg

The Pinball Circus. In an effort to get people to STOP playing it, the price for a five ball game has been raised to $1...most expensive game at the hall, if I'm not mistaken.
IMG_1757.jpg

So much for JJPs build quality...
IMG_1755.jpg

Games at the annex...not shown are Nightmare on Elm, the 2 NBAs, LotR, Slugfest, GTB Vegas, and a couple more.
IMG_1740.jpg

The aforementioned Taxi at the Annex...which probably had the topper torn off and stolen shortly after being banished to the Riv.
IMG_1741.jpg

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Thanks great write up ... and good to see the other side of the story (but like you said it still is a must see in Vegas) ... I don't believe that the PHOF is a one man show as there are a few volunteers but it should also be remembered that he pretty emphatically runs the place on a shoestring budget to maximize the dontation that goes to the Salvation Army and I think other charities. Hell even at PAPA every year I've been I find one or two machines (in the coin drop area) that are acting funky and usually are down for extended times.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
This is why pinball died on location... The amount of maintenance required to keep the games running well is astronomical. You put over 200 machines in one place that is essentially run by volunteers and you can understand why some of the games suffer. As much as I would love to see all the games @ the PHOF in tip-top shape, I think Tim still does a great job.

D

eh97ac

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga
I was there in Feb....DITTO. Plus most games have glaring white LED's in them, bring your sunglasses.

HH & BH were out back then too!

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Quite a lot has changed in the few years between my visits. Same lineup of games, just in much poorer shape. Also, the atmosphere is more like a coin-op dumping ground rather than an arcade. No attempt to keep donated junk and non-working games out of eyesight. It was actually funny to see the WoZ mixed in with broken redemption games, kiddie rides and other junkyard crap in the back corner. Also, no Avengers or Metallica (carrying out the Stern boycott as previously discussed in the Pirates and Profiteers thread).

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
My last visit earlier this year re-ignited my boyhood love of Banzai Run!
At least until the game started swallowing up balls and coins :(

I always end up spending hours in the EM aisles. Just wish Tim would jack them up an inch or two. They all play soooo slow.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
So he doesn't buy new Sterns, the ones he has are beat to hell, WOZ will probably get beat to hell as well, no matter what the build quality is (assuming it is operational), I wonder how long the neglect can go on before it really catches up with the place?

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
frolic said:
I wonder how long the neglect can go on before it really catches up with the place?

Good question. I know I will always visit when I'm in Vegas, even with all the above gripes. However, noobs or younger folks that are taking their first crack at pinball on wonky machines that swallow their quarters isn't the best situation...it could very well turn them off completely.

The CC and MB were in very good playing condition...all of them were in the front row with the newer Stern games. MM was in that line as well but I never got a chance to play it.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
So I'm in Vegas this week, and might have some free time Thursday afternoon. Is it worth a trip out to the main PHOF? Mapped it out, and it looks like you can walk there from the strip, since it's only a couple of miles.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
On pinside I've read it is "walkable" but you bake in the desert sun so it is kind of brutal. There is public transit so bring change and hop on the bus.

If you are there, I'd go for sure. Might as well.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Chris Bardon said:
So I'm in Vegas this week, and might have some free time Thursday afternoon. Is it worth a trip out to the main PHOF? Mapped it out, and it looks like you can walk there from the strip, since it's only a couple of miles.

I've walked in the past, when I was younger. Don't do it. It's a hike, hot or not. Waste a lot of valuable pin time. Pick up the 201 bus in front of the Tropicana. $2.25 I believe is the fare. You'll see the HOF on the left after a fair drive...or just ask the driver to tell you when to disembark...most are familiar with tourists needing a helping hand. When you are all pinned out, the 201 bus can be picked up again less than a block from the HOF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom_454

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
I was just at the PHOF feb 7th and it was great. The games were in decent shape. Everything I played worked well. ThEy had CC which I quite enjoyed although ball times were long. They had a WOZ and I thought it was fun - it was faster than I thought and more fun than when I played in Allentown. Great light show and even though i don't like the theme i found I didn't mind it when i played as it was well integrated. They also had a ST premium and it was very nice to play. Nice and fast with great flow - I think it will be hard to play a pro after this. I wish hey we're not so expensive.

I took a cab -too far to walk from the strip. I only had 3 hours but wish I had longer. It was pretty busy. Definitely worth the trip for sure. Next time I go I will go for a longer stay.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Ended up spending some time there on thursday afternoon, and it was definitely worth the trip. I was in vegas for work though, and made the mistake of going with someone else I was traveling with, who wasn't really a pinhead. It means that we only spent a couple of hours there vs me alone, which probably would have been until my flight left later that night. Anyway, nice collection of games, and maintained about as well as you'd expect games out in public to be. The newer stuff along the back wall all worked pretty much as expected, but I ended up having some major issues with STTNG (seemed like part of the switch matrix was completely gone), BR (upper PF was disabled), and A13 (only shot out half the balls for MB). Nice to see some variety though-we get really spoiled in TOPL with the collections we get to play, so it's strange-I wasn't going to play all of the B/W or Stern A listers, but more to try out stuff that I haven't played before that nobody around here owns. Nothing jumped out as the new hidden gem, and there were only maybe 10 DMD titles that weren't already in a local collection, most of those being absent for good reason (things like Popeye and Gilligan's Island).

Anyway, worth a visit, and the people working there are great. Only problem is that it's pretty far from the strip-ended up cabbing it to save some time.