• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pat Lawlor's JJP game update

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
I can't stand Lawlor games.. they're flashy and all, but once you get past the glare they're more of a chore to play than they are enjoyable to me.

Crazy as it sounds, I think Borg is the best designer right now. Ritchie is the king of flow, but if you put a bunch of his games side-by-side you're pretty much playing the same layout over and over and over again.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Yea I guess I can kind of agree with that, looking at IPDB and his list of games, most of them are pretty grind heavy.

The exceptions being, TZ and WW, I love both those games and have a blast playing them every chance I can.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Well its true, look at the list:

Banzai Run - Grind you way through cliff jumps
CSI - Do I even need to say anything?
Earthshaker - shoot the 5, shoot the side ramp, the end
Fun house - funhouse I'm starting to appreciate more, from a strategy perspective, so I can't really rag on this one
Grandprix - There are only like 4 or 5 good modes, and MB
Monopoly - none of the modes are worth anything, its MB or nothing with this game
NGG - I like but again, it's all MB, ramp, ramp, ramp, lock, repeat.
Roadshow - This is the ultimate grind, I used to like it till I had to play it in PAPA A last year, man is it ever a grind.
RBION - I actually like this game, forgot about this one, allot of different choices with this one.
RCT - MB, MB, MB
Safe Cracker - This one is interesting in its' implementation, if nothing else for the board game, and the way the token is dispensed.
Shrek/Family Guy - Right orbit all day
TAF- Ramp, chair, ramp chair

Attachments

• lawlor.gif
    lawlor.gif
    69.1 KB · Views: 155

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Vengeance said:
Grandprix - There are only like 4 or 5 good modes, and MB

That's not terrible... I actually like NASCAR / GP as I find it's one of his faster playing games.

I never had enough time on CSI but I wasn't minding it at the time. What didn't you like about it?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
REVOLUTION said:
That's not terrible... I actually like NASCAR / GP as I find it's one of his faster playing games.

I never had enough time on CSI but I wasn't minding it at the time. What didn't you like about it?

Nascar isn't terrible, but it's not great either. I remember a long time ago it got awarded most useless plunger ever :)

My biggest problem with it is how much real estate that stupid "track" takes up, makes the PF feel smaller and more enclosed then even that of safe cracker, that along with the fact that most of the modes are pointless, so you really just grind your way through the crappy modes, timing them out, to make it to the better ones. There is some depth in the rules, but I've never spent enough time to really understand them all, I've got a good working general knowledge, enough to get by with, but not the nitty gritty stuff.

CSI, UGH, there are literally only 3 things to the entire game, 3 MB's actually, Microscope, Skull, and Centrifuge. Only 2 will stack, Centrifuge will stack with either Skull or Microscope, you can't run Microscope and skull at the same time.

So really all you are doing is grinding you way each of the MB's over and over again. There is no other objective, and unlike say a BSD or IM with similar objectives, it's not fun, fast, or furious while you are trying to do it. I think that is really what the game is missing, speed and risk, it's really just grind out the mulitballs, over and over till you drain and hope for the best.